Is there a bug with the Enable|Disable htaccess Files function?

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Is there a bug with the Enable|Disable htaccess Files function?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DBR
    Participant

Hi

Hope you’re well.

Just to let you know that I think there is a problem with the Enable|Disable htaccess Files option in Setup Wizard Options in the latest version of BPS Pro (15.3) with WP 5.7 on an Nginx server.

I have a couple of sites on an Nginx server and, after updating one of them today, I noticed that the Enable|Disable htaccess Files option doesn’t save.

After updating to the latest version of WP, the notification that WP core files didn’t update properly and that I needed to re-run the Pre-installation and Setup Wizards was displayed. So I did.

Although the Enable|Disable htaccess Files option had previously been set to ‘disabled’ (Nginx server, so htaccess files are irrelevant), going through the setup process added all the deleted htaccess files again.

Also, all the P-security ini_set Options that had previously been unset/disabled were automatically re-enabled again. Which doesn’t normally happen.

So I disabled htaccess files again and ran the Pre-installation/Setup Wizard. And again, all the htaccess files I had manually deleted were regenerated and the ini_set Options were enabled.

As far as I can tell, the option to disable htaccess files just doesn’t save properly. So I have to delete the htaccess files manually. Every time I go back to the Setup Wizard Options tab, the Enable|Disable htaccess Files option is showing as ‘enabled’.  Also, if I click through to another page without changing the setting to ‘disabled’, I get these notifications:

BPS Pro Alert! An htaccess file was NOT found in your root folder. Go to the Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.
    BPS Pro Alert! An htaccess file was NOT found in your wp-admin folder. Go to the Security Modes page and click the wp-admin Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

Go back to the Setup Wizard Options tab and disable htaccess files and the warnings go away. Go back to that tab again and then click away to another admin page – without doing anything else – and the warnings return and the option has been re-set to ‘enabled’.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with this setting?

Many thanks

EDIT: I should have added that I did the usual to try and track down the problem – deactivate plugins, change theme, check server logs for errors, check browser console for errors, etc. No joy.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yeah it’s possible there is a bug with the Apache Module checking code that I missed.  I did last minute bug fixes on BPS Pro 15.3 with that particular code.  Download a new BPS Pro zip file and install it using the BPS Pro built-in zip installer > Setup menu > Upload Zip Install. Let me know if the new BPS Pro zip file installation takes care of the problem or not. If not then I will have to release a minor version release of BPS Pro. Was hoping to avoid that. 😉

Here’s the link to the BPS Pro download area > https://www.ait-pro.com/wp-admin/

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Following up to see if you downloaded and installed a new BPS Pro zip file. Let me know if that took care of the problems.

DBR
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I’ve downloaded the zip file and installed it but the same thing still happens:

• The Enable|Disable htaccess Files option resets itself to ‘enabled’ when I just look at the Setup Wizard Options tab.
    • The Setup Wizard always installs htaccess files and enables all P-security options despite htaccess files having been previously set to ‘disabled’ and P-security options having been reset/removed.
    • The 2 htaccess warning notifications appear when I just look at the Setup Wizard Options tab after I have previously set htaccess files to be ‘disabled’ and manually deleted the htaccess files.
    • The B-core htaccess options only show the htaccess files as having been ‘disabled’ when I manually delete them and disable htaccess files in the Setup Wizard Options tab. If I look at the Setup Wizard Options tab again after disabling htaccess files and then go back to B-core, the notifications are all either ‘Root htaccess File Does Not Exist’ or ‘Deactivated’ (and the warning messages are displayed again).

I hope that info helps you find the problem!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok at this point send me a WordPress Administrator login to your site.  Send the WP login to:  info at ait-pro dot com.  I removed a condition for NGINX in the Apache Module checking code. So most likely that is what is going on. You may end up having to revert to BPS Pro 15.2 unless I can get this patched on the fly.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Making a note here to track this problem: This appears to be an isolated issue/problem.  Strange one indeed.  Probably something like DB corruption.  Difficult to confirm or eliminate without doing a DB restore and/or creating a new test dev site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.