Language Translation Files Quarantined – WordPress automatic updates

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Language Translation Files Quarantined – WordPress automatic updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

Today for first time i had 4 files quarantined. they were

twentyfourteen-en_GB.mo
    twentyfourteen-en_GB.po
    twentythirteen-en_GB.mo
    twentythirteen-en_GB.po

I have checked with another site and these files don’t appear to exist, even on one that i updated to WP 4.1
    Looking around they appear to be language files.
    Contents of one start

s). This allows you to associate an image with your post without inserting it. Twenty Fourteen uses featured images for posts and pages

The question is how did they get there as other wordpress sites don’t appear to have them so must be new i guess?  Question now, what do i do, PANIC… delete or

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

WordPress randomly automatically updates language translation files.  When they get sent to Quarantine use the Restore File option to restore the .mo and .po language translation files.

Paul
    Participant

Yes just found them in wp-content\languages rights so even though wordpress files they still get guaranteed on auto updates? I thought ARQ turned off on these?
    Man you are like a flash of lightning, i can’t click a mouse in the time you can move a post and edit it 😉

Although they will not restore, just stay there. I guess turn ARQ of, FTP move them, Backup then turn ARQ on?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The language translation file automatic updates are done differently then a WordPress automatic update or a WordPress Dashboard update.  BPS Pro does not check for language translation file automatic updates.  I believe they happen a maximum of 4 times per year so you can either just restore the language translation files when they get quarantined or you can create an AutoRestore folder exclude rule for the languages folder so that AutoRestore does not check the languages folder.  Up to you.

Are you selecting the Restore File checkbox and then clicking the Submit button?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

EDIT/UPDATE: This Topic has been cleaned up/condensed to show only relevant info.

You would add an AutoRestore folder Exclude rule for the languages folder or the languages/themes folder using the Exclude wp-content Folders tool.

1. Turn Off AutoRestore.
    2. Type a label/description in the label/description text box and type/enter:  languages in the folder exclude text box.
    3. Click buttons 1, 2 and 3 in order.
    4. Note: this step is probably not necessary. Click the wp-content Files Backup Files buttons. This will create the languages folder in AutoRestore backup if it does not actually really exist.
    5. Turn On AutoRestore.
    6. Restore all of the language files from Quarantine.

Notes: Logical guess: I think what may be happening is that WordPress is creating a new folder under the languages folder. This is probably something new that WP is doing. So by clicking the wp-content Files Backup Files button you are creating the same identical new folder under your AutoRestore backup folders and files. Once you do that then you should be able to restore the files.

Paul
    Participant

No will not restore. Maybe wait till the next site picks up on them, then see if problem replicates on that. I don’t use these themes so i can wait for the next site and try?

Paul
    Participant

Other site restores OK Made 100% sure to do correct procedure. So maybe that could be the issue?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

On the site I am logged into something is definitely breaking Quarantine.  Are these 2 sites hosted on the same server?  Are they both using the Weaver Xtreme theme?  Are there any other differences between the sites?

Paul
    Participant

Different server, same theme. But hold off. I am moving server tomorrow. Before name servers are changed i will delete BPS and reinstall and go from there. I think its the server. Keep getting odd issues. Obviously works had no issue on other site. I,ll turn ARQ off and wait till i move to a vps server tomorrow.

Don’t want this site to crash so i will get it working on new server 100% before nameserver change

It was strange on initial setup as the bit that takes a minute or two on other sites completed in about 4 seconds on this.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep I agree that it is the server.  I have eliminated all plugins and it is not your theme so yep it is the server.  A huge red flag is open_basedir is turned on.  Anyone who does not know what they are doing uses open_basedir so that is usually a very, very bad sign to see this turned on on a server.  Ok logging out now.  Thanks.

Paul
    Participant

Nightmare sorry to waste your time, i,ll mention open_basedir where did you see that in monitor? Will report on situation when site moved

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The System Info page has a check for open_basedir.  The only known good usage of open_basedir is to use it to compartmentalize user accounts, but it breaks more things then it does good.  A lot of people who don’t know what they are doing believe that open_basedir is a security measure.  It is not of course.  Personally I hope that the PHP folks decide to deprecate open_basedir since it is a website breaker.

Paul
    Participant

OK thank you, going to get this site set up on new server asap

Paul
    Participant

New server has PHP open_basedir: Off/Not in use

jenni101
    Participant

Thought someone might be interested, but I had the exact same problem with .mo and .po language files being quarantined. (And my server setting is: PHP open_basedir: Off/Not in use.) I followed your exclude rules as above (and video guide) and added “languages/themes” into the wp-content exclude rules and all seems to be good. Thanks for this 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.