LiteSpeed Cache plugin mysteriously auto installed today

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro LiteSpeed Cache plugin mysteriously auto installed today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

Hello,

I’m not sure what’s going on. I’ve built 5 sites recently all running WordPress 4.8.2 Three of the sites have BPS Pro installed running the latest 13.3.3.

All of the sudden on the 3 sites running BPS Pro, I noticed a LiteSpeed Cache Plugin suddenly appear in my WP DashBoard and BPS Pro Auto-Quarantine going nuts on the LiteSpeed Cache files. Time stamps show all sites started quarantining files within minutes of each other. As well, my email inbox was going crazy filling with Quarantine notices. I eventually had to deactivate the plugin on the 3 sites as I know nothing about it and it auto installed, which I thought to be very weird.

All sites are running nearly identical setups that are very very minimal. Divi Theme, Akeeba Backup, BPS Pro. The only difference on the 2 sites that didn’t auto install LiteSpeed Cache plugin were the ones that didn’t have BPS Pro installed yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does this have anything to do with BPS Pro? I don’t remember touching anything in BPS Pro that had anything to do with Caching.

Thanks,

Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

It sounds like your web host automatically installed the LiteSpeed Cache Plugin.  Is the plugin a regular plugin or a must-use plugin?  What is the name, version and link to the plugin author site?

Josh
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Interesting. Wonder why they would do that. These sites are super super tiny mom and pops sites. Do the BPS Pro Cron jobs have overhead that would be a cause for concern on shared hosting. I have a reseller account through Rochen. I haven’t received any emails from their support about concerns.

LiteSpeed Cache
    WordPress plugin to connect to LSCache on LiteSpeed Web Server.
    Version 1.2.3.1 | By LiteSpeed Technologies

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late response.  I did not receive an email notification that you replied.  The LiteSpeed Cache plugin installation has nothing to do with the BPS plugin, but what might be coincidentally related is that BPS creates htaccess files and your server sees that htaccess files exist and then automatically installs the LiteSpeed Cache plugin.  Not really sure since I’ve never seen this issue before.  The LiteSpeed Cache plugin WP home page is here >  https://wordpress.org/plugins/litespeed-cache/.  How or why this plugin was installed would be something that you would need to ask your web host.  I assume they automatically install this plugin.

Since the LiteSpeed Cache plugin creates static page caching files what you need to do to prevent the static page cached folder and files from being checked by ARQ IDPS is to create an AutoRestore wp-content folder exclude rule so that ARQ IDPS does not check the LiteSpeed Cache plugin’s statically page cached files > http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#autorestore-exclude-rules

Josh
    Participant

Thanks for the info and conformation. I’ve opened a ticket with the web host. I’ll report my findings when I receive them.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh
    Participant

Great. Thanks for all the info. Appreciate all your help.

Did you happen to see my other posting about license activation? I activated a license before wanting to apply SSL. Was just wondering when I switch to https, if I will need to get a different activation key?

Thanks,

Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, got an email notification for that forum topic.  My response is here > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/is-new-activation-required-when-switching-from-http-to-https/#post-34213

Terry Chadban
    Participant

Hi Josh,

I have heard of some web hosting companies adding the LS Cache plugin automatically too. I actually installed it myself on all of our websites because if your web host supports Litespeed then the LS Cache plugin improves caching speeds on your website by doing the caching at the server rather than on your end. It won’t interfere with BPS Pro, and shouldn’t affect your websites’ overheads either.

Terry

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, I agree that the LiteSpeed Cache plugin sounds like a plus/good thing.  I think the only issue to take care of would be to exclude ARQ IDPS from checking the folder where the static page cache files are stored so that ARQ does not repeatedly quarantine the automatically generated static files.

Josh
    Participant

@Terry and AITpro Admin,

You are correct. Thanks for the feedback Terry. Thought I was going nuts. I really didn’t expect that my web-host would do something like this without putting out a notice first.

I heard back from my web-host. They installed they LiteSpeed plugin. The funny thing is, I can’t find it anywhere among to tools in my Cpanel backend.

It’s obvious they know what they’re doing. I’m sure this is a good thing and no chance of causing problems… usually. And I’m sure there’s something in the TOS that says they can basically do what they want, when they want, without notice.

Edit Retraction: Come to find out, they did send out a notice. I wasn’t subscribed to this list. I thought I was auto subscribed.

Actually, I’m happy this happened, as we’re going to be building a Woocommerce based site that is going to have thousands of images. I’ve never had to worry about caching before, as the sites we build are tiny mom and pops type of sites. No posts, just pages. So in hindsight, this is probably a good thing this issue with LiteSpeed happened.

Most of all, I’m thankful for all the useful feedback in these forums. This is very much appreciated. BPS Pro is a diamond in the ruff. The way that you link to docs/posts/info within your UI is brilliant. The documentation is always presented in a CLEAR manner which shows there’s a massive amount of time you’ve taken to put yourself in others shoes to ensure techy topics are as clear as possible. This speaks volumes about the author/dev’s do diligence, character and drive. Very impressed.

Thanks again,

Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Josh – Thank you for acknowledging the time, consideration and effort we have put into making BPS Pro as easy as possible for anyone/everyone to get.  There is nothing I hate more than software, hardware or anything else that does not come with decent help info.

Ok so I assume the LiteSpeed Cache plugin is creating static cached pages somewhere under the /wp-content/ folder.  Post one of the Quarantine log entries for one of the LiteSpeed Cache plugin’s statically cached page files so I can give you the exact steps to create an ARQ exclude rule so that these files will not be checked and repeatedly quarantined.  You should obfuscate/hide your actual hosting file/folder paths.  Example /xxxxx/wp-content/folderA/

rafaelmagic
    Participant

Josh,

LightSpeed plugin has a WooCommerce tab.

Make sure that it’s configured correctly.

Or else LightSpeed caching will affect the shopping cart users.

Josh
    Participant

@AITpro Admin

Sorry for the late reply.

When we’re doing a “File” exclude rule, does this file path need to be the absolute path starting from “home”?

/home/my-cpanel-name/public_html/wp-content/somefile.php

… or can I start from /public_html ???

Thanks,

Josh

Josh
    Participant

@rafaelmagic

Thanks for the info.

After reading your post, I looked at the WooCommerce tab in the LiteSpeed Cache plugin. Which configuration settings do you recommend?

Thanks,

Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Josh – For AutoRestore single file exclude rules you need to use the entire/full path to a file.  See the forum link below for the steps to create wp-content folder and single file exclude rules.

AutoRestore|Quarantine steps for creating wp-content folder and single file exclude rules
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#autorestore-exclude-rules

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.