GMT vs UTC

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro GMT vs UTC

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rob Bernstein
    Participant

Hi

At present all my logs show UTC rather than local (Auckland NZ) time. The php settings seem correct. Where/how do I change this?
    Thanks
    ROB

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

All BPS log file and DB timestamps are in GMT time instead of UTC time.  UTC is probably the better standard, but it came down to picking one and GMT was chosen.  The end result is the same and timezone time conversion is correct.

I think what you are probably really asking is how to change your timezone for your particular site.  Go to the WordPress > Settings > General page and choose the timezone that you want to use.  BPS will use whatever timezone you choose and timestamps will be relatively adjusted to the UTC or GMT time setting that you choose.

Rob Bernstein
    Participant

I have tried both “UTC+12” and “Auckland”, but the BPS PHP error log shows the same, eg: [29-Jun-2015 01:29:40 UTC] PHP Warning: ….

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

What timestamp are you expecting to see?  I will try this on a testing site and see if I get the same results.  It may be that the translation from UTC to GMT is going to be off no matter what for now.  Pending your response and testing.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I just tested switching to Auckland time and UTC +12 and updated the Security Log. Looks good to me.

UTC +12: UTC time is 2015-06-29 02:09:04 Local time is 2015-06-29 14:09:04
    Auckland time: UTC time is 2015-06-29 02:10:03 Local time is 2015-06-29 14:10:03
    Manual update of the Security Log file actual LMTime: June 29 2015 14:10:30

Rob Bernstein
    Participant

I simply don’t see the local time in the php logs. Test example:

[29-Jun-2015 05:04:34 UTC] PHP Warning:  copy(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/bethshalom/domains/v3.bethshalom.org.nz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/php/php-options.php on line 1577

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This is what I get below, which is the correct UTC 12+/Auckland time to me.  What result are you expecting to see?

[29-Jun-2015 05:15:38 UTC] PHP Warning: copy(): Filename cannot be empty in C:\xampp\htdocs11\demo4\gwiod\wp-content\plugins\bulletproof-security\admin\php\php-options.php on line 1577

NZST matches exactly:  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/new-zealand/auckland

Maybe because you are expecting Military time?  The World clock and the UTC clock in WP are showing UTC time.  Are you expecting a Military time conversion?

Rob Bernstein
    Participant

If you read my messages you would not need sarcasm. Is that clear enough for you, or do you need screen dumps and diagrams?
    To repeat:

• I want to see local NZ time in the php logs, to make debugging easier.
    • I do not see local NZ time in the php logs, as you do.
    • I have tried different settings for time in WordPress general settings, without success.
    • I seek your assistance, such that I am able to see local NZ time in the php logs.
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I was not being sarcastic and was being factual.  Everything appears to be working correctly for me and also for you from the php test timestamp that you posted.  So “local NZ time” must be something different than NZST time.  What is “local NZ time”?

Rob Bernstein
    Participant

OK. I would prefer NZST to be against each PHP error log entry. Please view screen clip here: http://v3.bethshalom.org.nz/images/screen-clips/Capture.JPG

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

So do you mean that you would like to change the “UTC” text in the php error log entry to “NZST” or is the time itself not correct?  Ie the static timestamp that you are seeing for when the static php error log entry was logged is not the correct time in your timezone?  The “Test Error Log” test that you posted above matched up to the time I got and also the time on the World Clock website so the time was correct for your timezone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.