Lock .htaccess causes 403 error Fatcow

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Lock .htaccess causes 403 error Fatcow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hhart

Hi,
    Just wanted you to know that I have a site on Fatcow.com and when I lock the .htaccess files using bulletproof, I get a 403 error for the website.
    So, I tried to manually change the .htaccess from 644 using my FTP program, but could not get the file permisions to change.
    So, called Fatcow and they told me the permissions can be changed but MUST be done from within the fatcow control panel/file manager.  So, now the .htaccess file is locked to 444.
    2 questions:
    Is  444 secure enough?
    what other .htacess files should I be worried about?
    Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Thank you for this information about Fatcow.  I will add that to the official documentation on which hosts allow what.  Yes, 444 is pretty secure and is of course a lot more secure than 644 file permissions.  The only htaccess file that you would want to lock is the root .htaccess file.  The wp-admin htaccess file is in your authenctication protected wp-admin folder.  Thanks.

hhart

Hi thanks for quick reply!Since I want to double check everything, can you tell me the file permissions I should have on the authenctication protected wp-admin folder. Thanks!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can leave the standard 755 folder permissions and 644 file permissions.  Since this folder is protected with login authentication then it does not matter / is not important / is not necessary to change these permissions.  Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Additional Info for BPS Pro ONLY:

Issue/Problem:  The Server/Website IP address variable is being blocked and is not retrievable.  The automated Plugin Firewall setup is not able to retrieve the website’s IP address and automatically add it into the Plugin Firewall .htaccess file.

Impact/Solution:  The IP address for the Server/Website will need to be manually entered in the Plugin Firewall .htaccess file on the BPS Pro htaccess File Editor page.  Click the “Your Current Plugins htaccess File” tab, scroll down in the file contents and add your Server/website IP address:   Allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Issue/Problem:  Communication to the AITpro API Server is blocked.  Activation Key requests are blocked.

Impact/Solution:  Please send an email to info [at] ait-pro [dot] com for an Activation Key for the website.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.