ManageWP wp-admin 500 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free ManageWP wp-admin 500 error

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  That rule is an overlap rule so it is not important since other rules are already protecting against RFI attacks.  It basically checks for incoming Requests that are using a Query String with a return URL, which simulates an RFI hacking attempt.  It is a rule that is destined for the trash bin in 1 or 2 BPS versions so it is fine to delete it.

Aventura
    Participant

Wonderful – glad its not a major rule. Re-enabled all plugins and all is well so should be set! Thank you very much for your time and effort into solving this one. I’m surprised its not been encountered before seen as BPS is popular and so is ManageWP (although I guess only when you own 2+ sites). Anyway, Ill pass this info onto my managewp support ticket in case they come across it again. Once again thanks for your help – awesome support, quick, concise & easy to follow and free! Couldn’t ask for more when dealing  with such a good plugin.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

And now to mention BPS .48.6 (will be released at 5pm today) again since the new Custom Code text boxes will allow you to copy your entire Query String section of code into the new Custom Code Query String Exploits text box.  😉  This will ensure that if you ever need to reactivate wp-admin BulletProof Mode that you custom modifications will always be written to the wp-admin .htaccess file.

Yep, I am surprised as well that this has never come up, but it could be that ManageWP is doing something new in a newer version and this is now a new issue/problem.  Things change fast and often in the coding World.  😉

Thanks for the Kudos!

Have a great one

Aventura
    Participant

Apologies for yet another question and the fact this probably isnt the best place for it (perhaps should be new thread) but I just updated to .48.6 and got the standard BPS error that it wasn’t enabled correctly so went to the BPS admin page to do the usual practice of [obsolete-removed] and reactivate only for the error to disappear.

Checked the root and wp admin htaccess files and they were automatitcally labelled .48.6 and even more to my surprise had the line already commented out!

Now I thought that the first part (auto upgrade of htaccess files) was BPS PRO only,  not free and that the second part was only going to possible from .48.6 with the updated custom code section…

Am I missing something here?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The alert means that BPS is in the process of updating all files.  You do not need to do anything else and can either refresh your Browser or click on any link in your WP Dashboard and the alert will go away on its own.

Both BPS and BPS Pro automatic upgrading/updating does NOT change any customizations that you have made to your .htaccess file code.  If you reactivated wp-admin BulletProof Mode and your .htaccess customization was included in your active wp-admin .htaccess file then this means that you edited the wp-admin Master file (wpadmin-secure.htaccess) as well as your active wp-admin .htaccess file.  If you only reactivated BulletProof Mode for your Root folder then your wp-admin .htaccess file was not affected or changed besides auto-updating the version number in the .htaccess file.

Aventura
    Participant

Well I didnt have to change any modes manually in BPS as the error went when I changed to the BPS page. Glad BPS keeps customisations on upgrade.

Thanks again

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Correction:  Actually if your customizations were still in your wp-admin .htaccess file then you did not activate wp-admin BulletProof Mode.  I was thinking of Root BulletProof Mode.  😉

Custom Code should be used like this in your particular case.

You would copy the entire section of BPS Query String code into the wp-admin text box that is designated for this.  This way if in the future you reactivate wp-admin BulletProof Mode then your customizations will be written into the wp-admin .htaccess file.  See this Custom Code video tutorial.

http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/2841/bulletproof-security-pro/bulletproof-security-pro-overview-video-tutorial/

Aventura
    Participant

Thanks for that info. Done that and re automagiced [<- must be a better way of saying that] the files and then turned on the bulletproof modes to apply the newly made versions and all works well. Also, the new customcode setup with the jQuery tabs is much easier to use!

Thanks ever so much once again

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  Yep, one of the common problems that was happening before was that folks were clicking the wrong Save Options button.   ie clicking the wp-admin save options button instead of the root save options button.  With the new jQuery Accordian this will hopefully permanently prevent that old problem from happening any longer.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Done that and re automagiced [<- must be a better way of saying that]

Maybe automagically delicious? LOL

Alex Laxton
    Participant

These Internal server errors (error 500) are often caused by plugin or theme function conflicts, so if you have access to your Dashboard, try deactivating all plugins. If you don’t have access to your admin panel, try manually resetting your plugins (no Dashboard access required). After that try to login again and this will work for you.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.