ManageWP Read Me First

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro ManageWP Read Me First

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro AutoRestore Automation and ManagWP compatibility testing results:

As it turns out Plugin and Theme installations/updates from ManageWP already work seamlessly with AutoRestore Automation and no additional steps are required. I believe the changes that were made in BPS Pro 12+ version series with the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters got everything working fine together.  For WP Core Bulk updates (manual updates on the Updates page), AutoRestore Automation uses AJAX trigger functions instead of using the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters. So if someone wants to upgrade WordPress remotely using ManageWP then they would need to do these steps below:

1. Use the ManageWP Open WP Dashboard feature to connect to your WordPress Dashboard.
    2. Update WordPress from the WP Dashboard. AutoRestore Automation will automatically turn Off AutoRestore, backup files and turn AutoRestore back On.

Or

1. Use the ManageWP Open WP Dashboard feature to connect to your WordPress Dashboard.
    2. Turn AutoRestore Off.
    3. Update WordPress from the Manage WP Dashboard.
    4. Run the BPS Pro Setup Wizard.

Note:  Enabling WordPress Automatic Updates will automatically install any/all new versions of WordPress when they are available.  So manually updating WordPress either from your WP Dashboard or from the remote ManageWP Dashboard is not really necessary.

netvisibilitygroup
    Participant

Is there a way to get BPS Pro and WP Manage to play nice together? We use WP Manage for about 100 web sites, but can’t use it for the ones using BPS Pro because any updates to WP or plugins causes BPS to throw the files immediately into quarantine…  Thanks..

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I assume you are talking about the ManageWP plugin?  See the beginning of this forum topic for ManageWP and BPS Pro ARQ IDPS procedural help info.

netvisibilitygroup
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I was referring to the plugin. For me, doing the above is pretty much like doing it manually, rather than just clicking the “Update All” button for all 100 websites and having it do it all automatically. We have WordPress only do automatic updates on the lesser security updates and not on major updates like this last one for 4.8 – we like to review them first and make sure there will be no issues. I was hoping there would be some way to get BPS to know that the update is coming from WP Manage in an authenticated manner, and temporarily shut off AutoRestore during the process. If not, it’s not the end of the world – BPS Pro has saved our *sses a number of times so far so this isn’t a major issue  😉

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Well I would never consider doing anything like clicking an “Update All” button to install multiple things at one time since I am an old school Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) and that would go against all the years of Microsoft training about not updating more than 1 application at a time so that you know exactly where a problem occurred. 😉

We tested doing some sort of authentication method within BPS Pro and it was child’s play to beat that and hack a test website remotely.  So that is definitely not a realistic safe method to use.  The only way a remote authentication method would be safe is if the ManageWP folks created new code in ManageWP for BPS Pro and that would never be done by ManageWP – been there and done that – collaborating with other WP plugin authors always goes nowhere. 😉

For WP Core updates, AutoRestore Automation uses AJAX trigger functions instead of using the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters, but we have considered creating new code just for ManageWP and other WP remote management plugins that uses the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters.  Since ManageWP hooks into the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters then that is why plugin and theme updates work seamlessly with ARQ Automation.  Currently this particular task of creating new ARQ Automation code just for WP Core updates and WP remote management plugins has been pushed back due to higher priority tasks taking precedence.  The next 2 versions of BPS and BPS Pro are Dev locked, which means that after the next 2 versions of BPS and BPS Pro are released we would look at this particular task again and other tasks on our list of tasks and resort the task list again based on priority order.

netvisibilitygroup
    Participant

Understood – yeah I don’t do it until I’ve tested the plugin out to a degree,  then I let it rip on them all – I can roll them back pretty quick if anything goes awry.

“it was child’s play to beat that and hack a test website remotely”

I figured it was – was just hoping there was a way.

“collaborating with other WP plugin authors always goes nowhere”

same with trying to get my kids to all agree to a get-together at the same place and time.

Ok no worries – like I said it isn’t the end of the world – and if it’s trading this as a low priority for making sure the rest of BPS Pro does what it does best then forge ahead my friend. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.