myRepono WordPress Backup Plugin

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro myRepono WordPress Backup Plugin

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andre
    Participant

Was more a general understanding question.

But I am using a similar scenario for backups, although the service makes external backups.

The service is called myrepono.com. They also make scheduled backups.

So, I would say, I would need a comnplete different approach when I use the external restore (which I havent tested so far, cause I could also download the split backup) when ARQ messes with the files during a restore.

But which approach?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

ARQ is designed to check for file changes.  If you are planning on changing website files then the correct procedure for AutoRestore is:

1.  Turn off AutoRestore.
    2.  Make your file changes.  In your case you are restoring files, which is changing website files.
    3.  Click the AutoRestore Backup Files buttons.
    4.  Turn AutoRestore back On.

Andre
    Participant

Mmh, my question was:

How can this be achieved on an external backup package before restoring it? The backup is done on schedule, to an external file.

So, there is no automation that turns ARQ off before the scheduled backup from another server is performed.

Take a look at myrepono.com and you know what I mean. Please.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Are you talking about backing up the site files on a schedule or restoring the site files on a schedule or both?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have split this post into a new Topic.

Logically for scheduled file backups the myRepono plugin will store the backup somewhere on your website locally before copying it to an external location.  So what you would need to do is exclude (create a Dynamic Folder Exclude rule) that myRepono backup folder from being checked by AutoRestore so that the backup would not be sent to Quarantine.

Logically for scheduled website file restores you would either have to leave AutoRestore turned Off during the scheduled file restore at this point.  I will look at adding an additional option to schedule AutoRestore to be turned Off automatically at a certain times, but since the primary function of AutoRestore/Quarantine is to automatically restore files from backup then I believe this type of option would be redundant since AutoRestore is already doing this if needed.

Example Worst Case Scenario:  In the middle of the night a hacker cracked your FTP password and started uploading files to your website or was altering website files.  The files would be autorestored and/or quarantined.  In the morning you would change your FTP password and delete all the files in Quarantine.

Andre
    Participant

The split was a good idea.

Well, I am wondering what will happen (didnt have the time to test) , when the scheduled backup, is taken to restore.

Because the scheduled backups are not saved on server. The schedule will include ARQ, cause it cannot be set off and then the restore would probably be a mess.

So, no, I dont want to restore scheduled, I am only using a scheduled external backup.

Myrepono uses an API and does not save in the middle.

EDIT: Yes, the worst case isnt nice. I mean, when I HAVE a backup WITH ARQ in it, cant I go and make a change to the files manually before running the restore?

Otherwise the external scheduled backups (they are stored on a foreign server by myrepono) would be pretty useless.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I will install and test myRepono and see exactly how and what it is doing.  Logically it would make much more sense for myRepono to either use your Server’s /tmp folder or another folder to zip/compress the files before transferring them to the external location.  At least that is the way I would do it to decrease the total file transfer size first before transferring it.  And of course only 1 zip/compressed file would have to encrypted instead of having to encrypt mulitiple files in the transfer to protect the transfer.

I assume that you are able to exclude folders in myRepono that you do not want to have backed up.  Example:  Exclude the /bps-backup folder from being backed up by myRepono.  All backup plugins typically allow you to exclude folders that you do not want to backup.  So if myRepono is only backing up your actual website files and not also backing up AutoRestore backup files then this would not be an issue.  AutoRestore backup files are an exact copy of your actual website files so you would not want to make a backup of a backup anyway.

Andre
    Participant

I assume they might be zipping it in splits through a cache file that might be lying in the api folder.

But in every case I can exclude the folders I want to exclude generally in the settins. Just havent viewed from this pov.

I ll take a look

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have looked at the code in myRepono instead and did not install and test it.  It is using this HTTP Retriever Class.  Storing files temporarily in the /tmp folder as cache before transferring the files.  Chunk is being used.  Certs and Auth Token.  The transfer methods are Primary: cURL /libcurl/fsockopen/stream and there are some emulation scripts if certain extensions are not available on a Server.  json_encode, serialize, urlencoding, cookies, OpenSSL and md5 are used where required/needed/appropriate/if available/fallbacks/legacy.

/* HTTP Retriever
    * Version v1.1.10
    * Copyright 2004-2007, Steve Blinch
    * http://code.blitzaffe.com
    * ============================================================================
    * DESCRIPTION
    * Provides a pure-PHP implementation of an HTTP v1.1 client, including support
    * for chunked transfer encoding and user agent spoofing. Both GET and POST
    * requests are supported.
    * This can be used in place of something like CURL or WGET for HTTP requests.
    * Native SSL (HTTPS) requests are also supported if the OpenSSL extension is
    * installed under PHP v4.3.0 or greater.
    * If native SSL support is not available, the class will also check for the
    * CURL extension; if it's installed, it will transparently be used for SSL
    * (HTTPS) requests.
    * If neither native SSL support nor the CURL extension are available, and
    * libcurlemu (a CURL emulation library available from our web site) is found,
    * the class will also check for the CURL console binary (usually in
    * /usr/bin/curl); if it's installed, it will transparently be used for SSL
    * requests.
    * In short, if it's possible to make an HTTP/HTTPS request from your server,
    * this class can most likely do it.
    Andre
    Participant

So, I will maybe switch to dropbox as external backup tool. In the plugin I am testing, I can exclude the bps-backup folder also.

So, I assume, that in the case of an excluded folder with autorestore files in it, it wouldnt be a problem to make scheduled backups, am I getting You right?

In case of a restore, there would be no autorestore / quarantine problems?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

When you add an exclude rule you are telling AutoRestore/Quarantine NOT to check that folder for file modifications.  For a full detailed explanation of how AutoRestore/Quarantine works see the AutoRestore/Quarantine Guide:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

The Blue Read Me help buttons in each page of BPS Pro also contain extensive help information.

Andre
    Participant

Okay, and when I manually backup the files over ftp I would simply delete the bps-backup folder before restoring?

So, it assumably has nothing to do with the database at all.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

In your backup plugin (NOT BPS Pro) you should be excluding the /bps-backup folder from being backed up.  You do not need to backup this folder at all since this would be a backup of a backup and ARQ uses these files differently then a standard backup plugin.  There is no reason to backup the /bps-backup folder with another backup plugin.  All backup plugins have settings that allow you to exclude folders from being backed up.

Yes, a Database and Files are 2 completely different things.  And yes, you would not need to do anything at all regarding your Database.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Regarding backups in general you really do not need to backup files regularly or frequently.  Your Database should be backed up regularly and frequently.

WP Files are easily replaced by uploading new files so there is really no need to back these up at all.

And AutoRestore/Quarantine already handles this automatically if needed/necessary.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.