Customize default htaccess file

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Customize default htaccess file

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Rivett
    Participant

Although I can edit the default htaccess file with BPS, any saved changes are lost when I deactivate secure mode. My site requires some custom code in the htaccess file; code that must be there regardless of the state of BPS security.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The BPS 11.9|.53.8 htaccess Core UI|UX Redesign removed the additional form steps and features that would allow someone to customize the default htaccess file and activate it.  For now you will have to manually add/edit your custom default htaccess code/file using FTP or your web host control panel file manager.  In the next BPS version release we will add a new method to save a customized default htaccess file/code permanently in the /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/ folder so that it will not be overwritten when you upgrade the BPS plugin.  When you Deactivate Root Folder BulletProof Mode, a customized default htaccess file (if it exists in /master-backups/) will be used instead of BPS creating a new default htaccess file.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I just checked and this new method/code has already been created in the BPS .53.9 Beta version, but it is pending final Live site testing.  So once the status changes to Live Site Testing Pass, I will post the new code so that you can add it manually in your BPS .53.8 version.

Jeff Rivett
    Participant

The BPS 11.9|.53.8 htaccess Core UI|UX Redesign removed the additional form steps and features that would allow someone to customize the default htaccess file

Despite what you say, I can in fact customize the default htaccess file on the ‘htaccess File Editor’ tab. Changes I make are saved, but those changes are blown away when I change security modes.

For now you will have to manually add/edit your custom default htaccess code/file using FTP or your web host control panel file manager.

Exactly; that’s what I’m doing. Thanks for confirming that it’s currently necessary.

In the next BPS version release we will add a new method to save a customized default htaccess file/code permanently in the /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/ folder so that it will not be overwritten when you upgrade the BPS plugin.

That sounds promising, but note that the problem isn’t just with upgrades. Regardless of how the default htaccess is modified, switching BPS security mod currently blows away any changes.

When you Deactivate Root Folder BulletProof Mode, a customized default htaccess file (if it exists in /master-backups/) will be used instead of BPS creating a new default htaccess file.

Excellent. Looking forward to that.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

As it turns out an important bug was just discovered in the new HPF Cron feature so new BPS Pro and BPS free versions will need to be released either today or tomorrow.  So you are in luck and will not have to wait too long to get the new default htaccess method. 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.