Permissions in WordPress folders/files resetting to default

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Permissions in WordPress folders/files resetting to default

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Wiles
    Participant

Has anyone experienced the annoying habit of the folder and files permissions that you set (using BPS recommended settings under “Security Status”) returning to the default after a couple of days. I thought it was caused by an update of the theme of the blog, but it seems that after a couple of days the 705 permissions are set back to 755 etc. I use a FTP client to set permissions and doing this twice a week on 7 blogs is a pain.
    David Wiles

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The folder permission settings are suggestions/recommendations, but if your particular Host does not allow these permissions then they would of course have the capability to automatically change your folder permissions back to whatever they require on their Servers.

Check with your Host and see if they are resetting the folder permissions automatically and what folder and file permissions they do allow.

David Wiles
    Participant

I have checked and confirmed with my host 1 & 1 and they do not (and may not) change permissions on any folder or file of any of the sites they host. So it comes back to the question what is changing permissions on folders and files in WordPress once they are set. If it is Bulletproof Security then I would like to make a feature request for clicking a button to set the permissions once off, instead of changing back one for one using FileZilla, which is a tedious process esp. if you have more than one site to manage.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS does NOT change folder permissions and ONLY allows you to choose whether or not to lock your root .htaccess file with Read-Only 404 permissions.  This is the ONLY optional file permission setting that is included in BPS.  BPS does NOT have any code that is designed too or is capable of changing folder permissions or any other file permissions besides the root .htaccess file.  If your Host is not doing this and BPS is not doing this than the only other possibilities that I can think of are that your FTP software is doing this in some setting, someone else who has FTP access to the site is doing this or the site is hacked and a hacker is changing the folder and file permissions.  If a hacker is doing this then you should scan your website for a hacker Shell script.  A hacker Shell script has the capability to change folder and file permissions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.