php handler change on dreamhost

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro php handler change on dreamhost

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

On dreamhost, several months ago, our server upgraded to php5.3 and is set to fastcgi, but the php.ini handler code in BPS doesn’t seem to mention this version. I found other host’s examples of the 5.3 handler, but not sure if that would work for dreamhost. I’ve searched on Dreamhost forum for a while now and can’t seem to find this info. This is what I currently have. And there is no php handler code contained in the Default htaccess file.

# CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE
    #--- DH-PHP handlers ---
    AddHandler php-cgi .php
    Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/dispatch.cgi

According to BPS my php info shows php version 5.2.

Alan
    Participant

Now I am wondering if fastcgi is still not recommended? It looks like DH gives me an option.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

php/php.ini handlers are unique/specific to each web host.  Some hosts use the same handlers, but php/php.ini handlers are not a one size fits all thing.  BPS allows you to add your specific/unique php/php.ini handler to BPS Custom Code, but this is done by you since each of the 1,000’s of web hosts around the world use their own unique/specific handlers.  BPS does a general check during running the Setup Wizard to check if your existing root .htaccess file contains a handler, but of course BPS cannot check for if it is the correct handler for your particular host or PHP server or all the other 1,000’s of possible conditions/combinations, etc.  I don’t think it would be impossible to do something like that in BPS, but it would definitely be a stupid thing to attempt.  Years ago we tried to keep track of the changes that occur regularly on the 1,000’s of web hosts php handlers, PHP server version changes, other changes – stupid so we no longer attempt a monumental everchanging task like that.

What you need to do is contact DH or check the DH help pages to make sure you have the correct DH handler that you want to use.  FastCGI will work in general for WordPress as long as these Server configuration changes have been made:  http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/4349/misc-projects/wordpress-tips-tricks-fixes/php5-3-x-php5-4-x-user-ini-file-does-not-work-known-php5-3-x-user-ini-fastcgi-wordpress-zend-issue/

Other php related help links
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/custom-php-ini-file-setup-php5-3-x/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.