php memory limit change – 500 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro php memory limit change – 500 error

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Remco
    Participant

hi,

During installation of BPS pro on a new site, the installation warned for the 32M limit. I went on with the installation and finished that. I checked the sever PHP config and changed 32M to 128M. That should be enough. Then I went back to WP but everything leads to an error:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@cyberpark.nl and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I checked the wp-config where some PHP-ini settings are and changed the 32M to 128M as well. Nothing changed.

What should I do now?
    Thnx
    Remco

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I assume the 32M memory limit warning you are referring too was displayed to you during running the Pre-Installation Wizard?  A WordPress site needs a bare minimum of 64M to run ok (not good, but ok).  128M is optimum.  256M is even better.  Any higher than 256M is excessive and things start getting worse, not better.

What type of site do you have?  Single, Multisite?
    What type of Server do you have?  DSO, CGI?

Delete the root and wp-admin .htaccess files.
    Delete the /** BEGIN BPS Pro ini_set Settings **/ to /** END BPS Pro ini_set Settings **/ code in your wp-config.php file.
    Are you still seeing a 500 error?

Remco
    Participant

the warning was indeed during the pre-installation wizard. I can adjust the mem to 256. I will when this problem is gone. it’s a single site. I’m not certain about the servertype. I think CGI. I deleted the two htaccess files and the php-ini script in the wp-config.php file. No changes…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If you have a VPS or Dedicated server then reboot your server.  The same cURL scanner problem that occurred for the OP for this forum topic may also be the same problem that is occurring on your server.

Send an FTP login and a WordPress Admin login to this website so that we can see what caused the problem and fix it.  Send the FTP login and WordPress login directly to edward [at]  ait-pro.com.

Remco
    Participant

Rebooted but no progress. I emailed the logins.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The additional information you provided indicates this is a server problem and not related to BPS Pro.  Either your host’s PHP configuration tool malfunctioned and created an invalid entry in your php.ini file or an invalid memory limit value was entered in the PHP configuration tool in your host’s control panel.  Send me the php.ini file that was created when you used your Host’s PHP configuration tool so that I can check it for errors.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I checked everything via FTP and this is definitely server side problem and not a local problem.  My hunch is that when you used the PHP configuration tool it updated the default server’s php.ini file in a protected server folder that cannot be viewed via FTP .  What you need to do is go back to your host’s php configuration tool and make sure that you are entering a valid value for the memory setting.  Or if there is a reset button then reset things back to a default setting in the php configuration tool.

Remco
    Participant

Weird. My hoster changed the value to 320M and the site was up and running again. I thought I had full rights but maybe not…

The changes I did were made in the httpd.conf. Not in the php config. But the strange thing is I’m pretty sure I did not do anything else but changing the limit within the php config editor. Let’s wait and see what my host can explain.

BPS gave me a lot warnings. I ran the pre-install checks and wizard. Created and activated the secure htaccess files. All status in green and good to go I presume.

Wp-config.php says within the php.ini setting memory-limit 320M. Like you said, this should at best 256M. When I change this on the server. Do I change this myself by hand or not?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

320M is close enough to 256M so no need to change that.

Remco
    Participant

Thank you very much for your support and troubleshooting! Although it may be not something with BPS software itself, you’re still thinking it through with me and that is awesome.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.