PHP Warning: Undefined variable $matches

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro PHP Warning: Undefined variable $matches

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    protection
    Participant

Yeah, I understand that the host might be blocking even know they said they aren’t. I’m not too confident about them to be honest 🙁

I totally understand why you wouldn’t implement the option to turn off the update checker. After all, this is a security plugin and updates are essential. To be clear, I wasn’t asking for that as a feature request. What I was wondering is if there’s a way for me to put a hack in my BPS installation so that the update checker doesn’t kick off. I was hoping there was a way for me to comment out whatever code does the checking. I realize that any changes I make to plugin code could be overwritten with subsequent plugin updates. I also realize that I wouldn’t know there’s an update available unless I reverted the hack 😉 If there’s a hook for the update checker, I could try implementing that as well.

If this is too much to ask for, I understand and apologize…no worries. Your plugin is amazing as is your speedy support. I’ve been using BPS Pro for around 10 years now and love it.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, there is a way to disable that API checking code, but unfortunately that code is intertwined in the BPS Pro anti-piracy code.  That is completely intentional.  So if you can find all the instances of API checking code and all the anti-piracy code (it is very well obfuscated) then you could disable it, but BPS Pro will not work any longer.  I made it extremely difficult for someone to do what you asking to do.  😉  I will be releasing a BPS Pro version very soon and will add code that will get rid of the php errors.

If I believed the API checking code was causing the slowness then I would fix that, but in 12 years no one has ever reported any slowness related to the API checking code.  It simply does not use significant resources to cause any sort of slowness.  The maximum amount of slowness it could cause would be the same amount of latency as someone clicking a link anywhere on your website since the API request is a simple GET Request.

protection
    Participant

So if you can find all the instances of API checking code and all the anti-piracy code (it is very well obfuscated) then you could disable it, but BPS Pro will not work any longer. I made it extremely difficult for someone to do what you asking to do.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense 🙂

OK, I really appreciate you fixing the PHP warnings. I think there are a few more than the ones I gave you. I can send you a note in this thread in another week or so and let you know all of the warnings I’m encountering because of the update checker being blocked.

Thanks again for all your hard work and your patience!

protection
    Participant

Here’s a list of some more warnings I’ve encountered. I went through and modified some of the BPS plugin options to trigger as many warnings as I could:

PHP Warning:  Undefined array key "bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php" in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php on line 218

PHP Warning:  Undefined variable $vcheckVersion in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/functions.php on line 1934

PHP Warning:  Undefined variable $Storage_engine in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/db-monitor/db-monitor.php on line 1935

The warning below isn’t due to BPS, rather, something directly within WordPress since one of their recent releases. There’s a thread for it here, but I figured I’d just mention it because I did notice a bunch of Cron jobs for BPS Pro that wouldn’t run. I killed those cron jobs, but still get the message. It could be due to whatever is blocking the update check.

Cron reschedule event error for hook: bpsPro_PFWAP_check, Error code: could_not_set, Error message: The cron event list could not be saved., Data: {"schedule":"minutes_15","args":[],"interval":900}

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The first 2 php errors were fixed in BPS Pro 17.1.  I’ll fix the db-monitor.php error in the next BPS version.  If you are still seeing those php errors then there is something else specifically going on on your site.  Yes, I have seen that cron php error all over the place in the last couple months.  It’s not happening on my web host or sites.

protection
    Participant

I’m assuming BPS Pro 17.1 has been released, because according to the changelog it was 2/20. I’m not able to see the updates from my admin section, even if I force the update check. Would you recommend deleting my current /plugins/bulletproof-security/ folder via FTP and uploading the 17.1 version?

By the way, I did get one more message today:

PHP Warning: Attempt to read property "version" on string in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/functions.php on line 2149

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, that is the problem on your host server or website that we have been talking about.  Something is blocking communication with the AITpro API server.  You won’t get BPS Pro upgrade notifications or be able to upgrade BPS Pro from the WordPress Plugins page until whatever is causing that is fixed.  The BPS Pro changelog is here > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bulletproof-security-pro-version-release-dates/

You can try deleting the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder, but I don’t think the problem is with BPS Pro. Worth a shot.

protection
    Participant

Sure, I’d be willing to try that. I’m not sure if you saw the email I sent you regarding my downloads key. For some reason the key I had isn’t being accepted. Once I get a new one, I’ll download the latest version of BPS Pro and give it a try.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Resent your Download-Request Key email.

protection
    Participant

I appreciate it! Unfortunately that didn’t work. Do you have documentation on how to completely remove BPS Pro from WordPress? I need to remove not only the plugin, but also any .htaccess files, database tables, etc.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This removes everything:
    Uninstall BPS Pro on the WordPress Plugins page.
    Delete this folder:  /wp-content/bps-backup/

protection
    Participant

Thanks!

protection
    Participant

The uninstall went pretty well. I still see BPS Pro in a couple of places, and I was hoping for your thoughts on what to do:

1.) The wp-config.php file has a section that stats with /** BEGIN BPS Pro ini_set Settings **/ and ends with /** END BPS Pro ini_set Settings **/. Can that section be deleted?

2.) The wp_usermeta database table has a few entries left over (see here). Can these entries be deleted?

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, you can either leave those things or delete them. They have no impact on anything.

protection
    Participant

Perfect. Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.