phpMyAdmin – Optimize, Repair and Flush database tables

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro phpMyAdmin – Optimize, Repair and Flush database tables

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

How to Optimize, Repair and Flush database tables using phpMyAdmin

Login to your web host control panel.
    Login to phpMyAdmin.
    Click on your database for your website to expand it (all database tables will be displayed).
    Click on the WordPress xxx_options database table to select it.
    Click on the phpMyAdmin Operations tab/menu (top of phpMyAdmin).
    The phpMyAdmin Table Maintenance options are typically located at the bottom left corner of the phpMyAdmin Operations page.
    I recommend doing these Table Maintenance options in this exact order:
    Optimize table.
    Then Repair table.
    Then Flush the table.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for this post. We wanted to do this for the database of each of our websites on our server but when we got to the “Operations” tab/page, we only see the “Optimize table” and “Flush the table” options in the “Table maintenance” section. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like for us.

From that screenshot, are you able to tell which of these options would actually be the “Repair” option or what option could replace it so that we can perform these actions on our databases?

Also, to be clear, you’re recommending that these actions only be performed on the “_options” table in each database and not on other tables as well, right?

Thank you,
    Living Miracles

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I guess I should have added more help info in this topic. I just copied and pasted it from an email I sent to someone. That person had a problem specifically with the wp_options table and doing the steps above fixed that problem. You can Optimize and Repair any database tables that you would like. You should be able to Optimize and Repair tables from the phpMyAdmin Structure tab. You should see Optimize and Repair somewhere at the bottom of the list of database tables in a drop down menu.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Okay, I think I understand. So in this case, if we’re just trying to optimize the database of a website in general, do you recommend that we just click on the “Check all” option in the “Structure” tab to select all the database tables, then use the “Optimize table” and “Repair table” options, one after the other? If so, I guess there is no “Flushing” needed as well as I don’t see that option in that particular drop-down menu.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, correct. Flushing the tables would be used if there is some kind of problem such as a database table sync problem > https://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/flush-tables.html#:~:text=FLUSH%20TABLES%20is%20handled%20in,start%20using%20the%20new%20table

I just noticed that you updated your last forum reply. Here is the result of a Google search…

To optimize the tables of a MySQL Database, select all of the tables that you want to be optimized by ticking the check-box next to their name. Then from the With Selected: drop-down menu choose Optimize table.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Okay, thank you for confirming that. In this case, I’ll continue using just the “Optimize table” and “Repair table” options, one after the other, on all the tables of each website’s database.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.