Plugin Export/Import Feature Does Not Appear to Be Working

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Plugin Export/Import Feature Does Not Appear to Be Working

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Hello,

I have been testing the BPS Pro Setup > Setup Wizard > Setup Wizard Export|Import feature on many new sites since it first came out in version 14.9 (almost two years ago). This feature seemed perfect for us since we want BPS Pro installed and specifically customized on all of our sites, and we have many of them. However, I do not believe it has ever worked for us, or I am just not sure what the feature is changing or carrying over to the new site. I have now even tried this again on a brand new/”barebone” temporary site on our server with only the BPS Pro plugin activated. But I am still finding that it does not appear to be bringing over all, or possibly even any, of the different settings from the other site.

From the “Question Mark Help” window on the “Setup Wizard Export|Import” plugin page, it says the following:

The Setup Wizard Export feature exports all BPS Pro plugin option settings except for website specific settings that need to be setup by running the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard after you have imported the BPS Pro plugin option settings into a new website.

As far as I can tell it has never done this for us. In addition, it always causes some sort of PHP error after importing the bps-pro-settings-export.zip file exported from another site of ours, as well as causing us to receive the “Your Site is Experiencing a Technical Issue” automatic WordPress email afterward.

The error shown in the automatic WordPress email this most recent time was the following:

Error Details
    =============
    An error of type E_PARSE was caused in line 793 of the file /server-path/domain.tld/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/wizard/setup-wizard-export.php. Error message: syntax error, unexpected 's' (T_STRING), expecting ')'

The error shown in the PHP Error Log in the back-end of the site this most recent time was the following:

PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 's' (T_STRING), expecting ')' in /server-path/domain.tld/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/wizard/setup-wizard-export.php on line 793

So with that, I wanted to see if you might be able to share how this export/import feature should work exactly (e.g., what settings should we expect to be carried over from another site)? Or can you fix this issue in the plugin of no settings getting brought over to the new site (assuming it is one)?

Thank you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The setup-wizard-export.php file is a blank file that is used to store your exported BPS DB option settings in a format that is used to update a database that you are importing too.  The php error means that the exported data is not in a valid format on your particular site or sites.  That is most likely caused by how your data is being escaped or double escaped in your DB.  Send the setup-wizard-export.php file to me via email so I can take a look at it > info at ait-pro dot com.

The Setup Wizard Export feature exports all BPS option settings that should be exported and does not export any option settings that should not be exported.  Roughly that would be 90% of all option settings are exported and 10% should not be exported.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok so what is breaking the format in the setup-wizard-export.php file at code line 793 is the JTC Comment Form: CAPTCHA Error message. You have added an apostrophe + s after browser = browser’s. For now change the Comment Form: CAPTCHA Error message and delete the apostrophe. In the next BPS Pro version I will escape any apostrophes that are used in that text field to prevent this type of problem.

'bps_jtc_comment_form_error' => '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Incorrect CAPTCHA entered. Click your browser's back button and re-enter the CAPTCHA.',
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Hello, thank you for looking into this! I tested this out and the import process worked great as far as I can tell! I removed the ‘ apostrophe from “browser’s” in the JTC Comment Form: CAPTCHA Error message (i.e., from “browser’s” to “browsers”) from a site I wanted to export the BPS Pro settings from, and then I imported the exported “bps-pro-settings-export.zip” file to a brand new/”barebone” temporary site on our server and no PHP errors occurred. Instead, the page displayed a green message that said the following and I could finally see BPS Pro settings had changed on the site:

Zip File Upload Successful.
    Zip File Exraction Successful. Method: ZipArchive class.
    BPS Pro plugin settings imported successfully.

We’re looking forward to the next BPS Pro update which will prevent this type of problem from occurring anymore. Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.