Plugins page – you are not allowed to access this page, Network, Multisite

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Plugins page – you are not allowed to access this page, Network, Multisite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    liane
    Participant

Hi,

Running a wordpress MU,

I did some plugin updates today, and noticed that I couldn’t access the plugins page anymore, WordPress tells me that I’m “Not Allowed to Access this Page”…

back to yesterday backup, same thing (I did some updates Saturday I think)

So, restoring the backup on 09/09, I could access the plugins page, from there, I did updates one by one… until there was just BPS to update… At this point, I still could access the plugins page.

Guess what? I updated BPS from 13.2 to 13.3.1… and I was locked again from plugins.

I’m afraid there is something wrong after 13.2 (I suppose there was a 13.3 update that I did Saturday that messed my WordPress)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

So far 11,300+ people have upgraded to BPS Pro 13.3 and 8,200 that have upgraded to BPS Pro 13.3.1 and no major problems have been reported.  The problem you are describing sounds like one of these things:

WordPress needs to be reinstalled > reinstall WordPress > click the Dashboard link > click the Updates link > click the Re-install Now button.
    You have a plugin conflict of some kind > this is difficult to figure out and requires that you use FTP and rename plugin folders one by one to find the conflict.
    You are out of available PHP memory > check the BPS System Info page and see how much PHP configuration memory you are using and how much is leftover.

Other things to check:  PHP error log and server logs for any clues.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Just to make absolutely sure that there are not any WP Network|Multisite specific issues/problems.  I just retested upgrading a Network|Multisite test site to BPS Pro 13.3.1 and no issues or problems occurred.

liane
    Participant

Thank you for your answer, but I spent a couple of hours to isolate this problem, and so far

• nothing in  the PHP error log and nothing interesting in server log
    • no memory problem, as far as I can see (and there is very little traffic on this box)
      PHP Version: 7.0.19-1
      PHP Memory Usage: 13.32 MB
      WordPress Admin Memory Limit: 256M
      WordPress Base Memory Limit: 64M
      PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit: 128M
    • Plugin conflict: yes probably, but AFAICT, BPS is a part of it, that’s why I’m posting here

The first thing I tried was of course to disable the plugins (moving their folder out of the wp-content/plugins folder, but unfortunately, that didn’t solve the problem, that’s why I resigned to restore from backup

The only thing I didn’t tried yet is a WP reinstall, didn’t think that it could do any good, but I’ll try.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Well actually the most likely cause of the problem is a fubar WP installation.  So if reinstalling WP does not work then send me a WP Admin login to this site to and an FTP login to this hosting account so I can tell you what the problem is and fix it.  email address:  info at ait-pro dot com

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

A workaround was created for this issue/problem to resolve this issue for now.  The issue/problem was caused by the BPS Pro MU must-use plugin and is specifically related to WordPress Network|Multisite subdomain site types using the MU Domain Mapping plugin.  Further testing and research is necessary to create a permanent solution in the next BPS Pro version release for this issue/problem.

liane
    Participant

Thank you for the quick fix!

Qtwix
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    Hi,

After upgrading from BPS Pro 13.2 to 13.3.1 I can’t access the plugins page anymore. If I switch to the plugins page I get the message “Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.”.

I figured out, that it only happens, if certain plugins are installed apart from BPS Pro. These plugins are:

All-in-One WP Migration
    All-in-One WP Migration Multisite Extension
    Divi Booster
    Envato WordPress Toolkit
    Hummingbird Pro
    Matt’s Developer Tools
    WP Smush Pro
    WPMU DEV Dashboard

If I deactivate all these plugins, the issue is gone and I can access the plugins page again. As soon as I re-activate any of them, the issue is back. (I have also other plugins installed, but they work fine in combination with BPS Pro.)

Interestingly, the issue persists, even if I completely remove BPS Pro including all .htaccess files and also the BPS-related code in the config.php

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Qtwix – Thank you for providing that information.  There is a problem with the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin on Network|Multisite site types, but we were unable to reproduce the problem on a testing site/server.  So thank you for this information, which makes the cause of the problem very clear now.  It has something to do with the “require/include” added for only Network|Multisite site types in the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin.  This will be fixed in the next BPS Pro version.  For now do this workaround solution to fix the problem:

1. Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and edit this file:  /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-pro-mu-tools.php.
    2. Comment out the function below in the file using 2 forward slashes as shown below:  //

//bpsPro_toggle_links();
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The cause of the problem was the newer wp nonce code used in this function:  bpsPro_toggle_links() in the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin.  The require_once( ABSPATH . '/wp-includes/pluggable.php' ); code needs to be moved under/inside the if ( isset( $_GET['bps_toggle'] ) ) { condition. If you want to manually fix this now the steps are below or you can just wait until the next BPS Pro version is released which will automatically fix this problem.

Before Fix:
    File: /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-pro-mu-tools.php
    Code line: 258
    Solution: Cut the if function_exists condition and paste it under/inside the isset GET condition.

if ( ! function_exists( 'wp_verify_nonce' ) ) {
    	require_once( ABSPATH . '/wp-includes/pluggable.php' );
    }

if ( isset( $_GET['bps_toggle'] ) ) {

After Fix:

if ( isset( $_GET['bps_toggle'] ) ) {

if ( ! function_exists( 'wp_verify_nonce' ) ) {
    		require_once( ABSPATH . '/wp-includes/pluggable.php' );
    	}
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Same issue is happening for me on all GoDaddy Managed WordPress sites. The fix you provided works, however, but are going to release an update to fix this in the BPS Pro code??

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

We have another issue with open_basedir doing what it does best – breaking stuff. So once that new code has been created to accomodate open_basedir we will release a new BPS Pro version that will have the fix for this.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Wonderful! Thanks so much!!

Mike I.
    Participant

Seeing the same problem had to comment out that line in bps-pro-mu-tools.php, but its not a multisite install.

BPS- 13.3.1

WP – 4.8.2

PHP7, MariaDB, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Mike I – The problem has been fixed permanently in the most current version of BPS Pro 13.3.3. Upgrade to BPS Pro 13.3.3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.