POST admin-ajax.php 403 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro POST admin-ajax.php 403 error

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Living Miracles – When I checked your site without being logged in and logged in and checked your site I did not see any 403 errors for the links you sent to me.  What I believe is causing the intermittent problem is that you are minifying your html content and probably js and CSS. So you cannot use the BPS Pro Plugin Firewall on this site. Minification/Compression breaks the BPS Pro Plugin Firewall and also breaks all sorts of things in other plugins and themes. Recommendations: You should never use minification/compression for any reason. Or turn off the Plugin Firewall, but the problem with your videos and other things could be another problem caused by minification itself since it is known to break all sorts of things randomly.

Note:  I did not see any Security Log entries that indicated that the Plugin Firewall was working or not.  That could simply mean that the Plugin Firewall is being broken by minification/compression.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Thank you. What problems with the videos are you referring to?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Living Miracles – I just meant everything and anything in general can be typically broken randomly by minification/compression.  Especially when you are using several things such as Incapsula, which you are using and other things that handle or are related to caching.  In general, automated minification takes formatted code and then crunches it down (compresses it) and combines things, which supposedly increases website performance (never seen it improve website performance myself).  In that automated/one size fits all automated process of minification there is a very good chance that things are going to get broken.  That is just a known common thing about the nature of automated minification/compression.  Manual minification/compression on the other hand does not have that problem because you are not forcing things that may or may not actually work together and are instead combining things that you know do work together.

Actually there is one case scenario where I have seen automated minification/compression significantly improve website performance and that scenario is when a website is very poorly designed, which is causing the website to perform very poorly.  So minification will significantly improve performance for a poorly designed website, but obviously the true solution would be to fix the poorly designed website.  Of course the chances of things being broken by minification on a poorly designed website increase astronomically.  😉

Living Miracles
    Participant

Thanks! So, you’re actually saying that CSS, JavaScript, and HTML minification will definitely always break the BPS Pro Plugin Firewall?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Living Miracles – js definitely. HTML very likely. CSS will not cause a problem.

Also since the problem that was occurring was intermittent then that confirms it has to do with things that cause intermittent problems:  php memory/cache/caching plugins/CDN’s/VPN’s/Proxy’s/Load Balancers/Host server problems (DNS server/DNS configuration problem, MySQL server timeout, server overloaded, etc), /Browser problems (corrupt cache, Sessions, Cookies, add-on, extension)/ISP (connectivity)/CloudFlare, Incapsula, etc.

Since you have several things installed that are going to directly affect each other then my logical guess is this scenario is intermittently occurring:  You are using HTML, js and CSS minification.  You are also using the Incapsula Reverse Proxy.  I assume what is happening is that randomly your cached Source Code is getting corrupted, which is a very common problem with using minification.  Either the Plugin Firewall is being intermittently broken in that scenario or the problem is a separate isolated problem with minification, Incapsula, SiteLock and some of your other plugins or your theme etc etc etc.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Living Miracles – On an off topic note:  We created another new plugin that was a Static Page Caching plugin (the load speeds were insanely fast) and were planning on selling it, but there were so many possible complications with all the possible different types of website/server scenarios that we abandoned the idea of selling it.  We do not use any caching plugins including the one we created because no matter how well you build those types of plugins there are always going to be intermittent/random problems – it is just what is with plugins of that type.  We have tried pretty much every single WP caching plugin there is and even bought the Comet Cache Pro plugin (this is the best and most consistent caching plugin in our opinion – only had very few random corrupt caching problems) and of course intermittently we ran into problems.  Like I said it is just the nature of that beast.  What we did instead is redesigned our theme so that it is streamlined and super fast and made other website optimizations.  Our sites load in 1.5 to 2 seconds and we only use our Speed Boost Cache code.  So you can see the key to the whole thing is building and optimizing for speed vs trying to gain speed by adding something else after the fact.  ie caching plugins, etc.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Thanks so much for all that! Very valuable information!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.