Quarantine Issue When Updating the WordPress Core Using Automatic or Third-Party Methods

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Quarantine Issue When Updating the WordPress Core Using Automatic or Third-Party Methods

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok got this figured out.  The problem is not that ManageWP and MainWP are not using the WordPress Upgrader pre_install and post_install filters.  The problem is the same problem that I ran into with handling WP Automatic Updates.  When WordPress is doing an installation/upgrade it is removing WP Core files and then adding WP Core files.  This basically “breaks” the WP Upgrader filters even if you call the WP Upgrader class directly in a new instance.  In other words, the WP Upgrader filters cannot be relied on when a WP Core upgrade is occurring.  I have a better solution that is 100% reliable.  This solution also gets WP Automatic Updates to a 100% success ratio and allows for latency problems that cause files to be quarantined by AutoRestore|Quarantine.  I don’t have a definite ETA on when BPS Pro 15.2 will be released, but ballpark ETA is 21 – 28 days from now.

Oh and I was never contacted by anyone from ManageWP, but that is no longer necessary since I now have a working solution that is 100% reliable for remote WP Core Bulk installations.  That was an exceptionally generous offer to reach out to me, but yeah I didn’t really believe that would happen. 😉

Living Miracles
    Participant

Wow, that’s amazing to hear and truly helpful!! Thank you for letting us know. 😊🙏🏼

Hm, that’s strange as they did say they would reach out to you… In any case, I’m glad you were able to resolve this anyway.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro 15.2 has been released.  WordPress 5.6.1 is scheduled to be released:  Wednesday 3 February, 2021.  Test updating/upgrading WordPress for 1 site remotely from ManageWP and if there are no issues or problems with that site then you can use the Update All button in ManageWP to update/upgrade all of your sites remotely.  Let me know if you run into any issues or problems.  I extensively tested doing remote WP Core Bulk installations and forced WP Core Bulk installations and there were no problems with files being quarantined with the new AutoRestore Automation rebuild in BPS Pro 15.2.

Living Miracles
    Participant

That’s wonderful to hear and very much appreciated! Looks like you made record time compared to your previous ETA as well!

We’ll probably update to the new BPS Pro version across our sites within the next couple of days in this case and then test the remote WordPress core update for at least one of our sites from ManageWP after that. So yes, we’ll definitely let you know if we run into any issues or problems with this. 👍🏼

By the way, thanks for the heads up that there is a WordPress core version 5.6.1 update and that it’s going to be released very soon. We were unaware of that. 🙏🏼

Living Miracles
    Participant

Hello,

We just wanted to report back that we tested the WordPress core update via our ManageWP account for several of our sites and, as far as we can tell, the update worked perfectly this time (i.e., no quarantine issues)! We assume it should work fine and just the same way, but we still want to test it out with a Major WordPress core update, like version 5.7 being released in March, before fully utilizing ManageWP for bulk core updates moving forward.

We also want to mention, however, in case it’s relevant, that for two of our sites that had their WordPress core updated via the “native” automatic updates, ARQ just turned itself off and stayed off after the update for some reason, and we needed to manually turn it back on for both sites. These two sites are on the same server as all these other sites that didn’t have this issue and aren’t really unique from the other sites in their configurations or plugins they use.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The BPS Pro 15.2 AutoRestore Automation rebuild should work exactly the same for Minor and Major WP updates (Bulk, Shiny, Automatic, Remote and Forced).  The additional new AutoRestore Automation logic uses the WP Upgrader pre and post install filters, but does not rely on them completely to do the final AutoRestore|Quarantine processing.  The reason for that is that there are predictable problems that can occur and unfortunately the WP Upgrader pre and post install filters have limitations when handling predictable problems.

In the past I have stated that it is not possible to make AutoRestore Automation work for web host forced WordPress upgrade installations.  I now stand corrected since the new AutoRestore Automation does now work seamlessly for WordPress forced upgrades by web hosts.  😉

Additional FailSafes were added in BPS Pro 15.2 for predictable problems that can occur with WordPress Automatic Updates.  If any one of those predictable problems occur and AutoRestore Automation is unable to automatically recover from any one of those predictable problems then the end result will be that AutoRestore Automation will not turn itself back On to prevent files from being quarantined.  Since AutoRestore Automation has built-in email notifications then you will be notified via email that AutoRestore is turned Off.

Predictable problems:  Server or website latency/slowness, plugins or themes interfering with AutoRestore Automation processing, API hiccup anywhere between wordpress.org and your host server, DB problems and a wide range of other possible predictable problems that cause AutoRestore Automation processing to be interfered with.

Test Results for the BPS Pro 15.2 AutoRestore Automation Rebuild and WP Minor and Major Automatic Updates:
    10 Live hosted websites tested for WP Minor and Major Automatic Updates: Result 100% success.  All Live hosted websites were successfully updated. No files were quarantined. AutoRestore Automation performed all tasks successfully – ARQ Turn Off, file backups and ARQ Turn On.

10 Local Development websites tested for WP Minor and Major Automatic Updates: Result 100% success.  All Local Development websites were successfully updated. No files were quarantined. AutoRestore Automation performed all tasks successfully – ARQ Turn Off, file backups and ARQ Turn On.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Okay, thank you for all of that information and context. That all sounds good and is helpful to be aware of.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.