Question on bots, logging, and performance

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Question on bots, logging, and performance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    protection
    Participant

Hello –

Is there a general rule for the number of bot hits in a given time interval that should be a concern? I’m not currently blocking bots, but if I need to do so for performance purposes (because I having logging turned on), I’ll do so.

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This forum site regularly gets attacked by bots at a rate of 100 requests per second = 6,000 per minute = 360,000 per hour and there is almost no noticeable performance issues.  An average site will probably not have this volume and frequency of bot attacks. Probably more like 10 requests per second at the peak bot attack wave.

protection
    Participant

Thanks for the stats. Are you logging the entries for the bot attacks? I would assume that’s what might use up resources as well. I’m just wondering how much of a hit performance would take (if any) if you have security logging turned on.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, BPS logs all events using fwrite() and a plain text file instead of involving your database.  DB Queries consume the most resources on a WP site.  So Security Logging resource usage is extremely low by not involving your database.  I forfeited fancy gimmicks that other security plugins use because I put performance and security over impressing people with fancy gimmicks.

protection
    Participant

This is perfect. Thank you! We can close this out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.