Robots.txt file not showing in file manager

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Robots.txt file not showing in file manager

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jenni101
    Participant

Hello,

I’d like to edit my site’s robots.txt (to add sitemaps) but can’t find it to edit in my cPanel file manager. If I put its url in my browser it finds it, but I can’t find it at all! Does BPS Pro hide it? or move it somewhere???

I’ve been puzzling over this for ages and am totally stumped. Hopefully something really simple!

Many thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

In order for a robots.txt file to work correctly it MUST be in the Hosting Account root folder.  BPS does not do anything with the robots.txt file.  Also WordPress has it’s own Virtual “robots.txt file”.  There is not an actual file and instead you hook into the WordPress Virtual Robots text function > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/wordpress-robots-txt-wordpress-virtual-robots-txt/#post-6523

My guess would be that you are simply looking in the wrong folder under your hosting account for the robots.txt file.

Example:
    If the website is installed in the hosting account root folder: /public_html/ then the robots.txt file MUST be here: /public_html/robots.txt.
    If the website is installed in it’s own folder:  /public_html/wordpress/ then the robots.txt file MUST still be here:  /public_html/robots.txt.

jenni101
    Participant

Many thanks for your reply. I think I must be seeing the WP ‘virtual’ one! As definitly none in the root.

I did search the forum for solutions but obviously missed that one.

Cheers.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, the WordPress Virtual Robots text “file” will be displayed in your Browser.  Example > The WordPress Virtual robots.txt file that you see in your Browser by clicking this link:  https://forum.ait-pro.com/robots.txt is a Virtual Robots text file for this forum website.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.