Security Log entry and PHP Log entry

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Security Log entry and PHP Log entry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Hi,

On just one of my Managed WordPress sites, I’m seeing repeated errors like this one in the Security Log:

[BPS Pro Plugin Deactivated: December 2, 2017 - 8:05 pm]
    This Security Log entry is created when the BPS Pro plugin is deactivated. An email alert is also sent to you when the BPS Pro plugin is deactivated.

How can I troubleshoot this? The plugin is obviously active so I’m not sure why these entries are happening. I tried rerunning the wizards and also re-uploaded the BPS Pro plugin, but the entries continue to get generated.

On the same site, I see this Akismet-related error in the PHP error log:

[02-Dec-2017 18:05:45 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'UnexpectedValueException' with message 'RecursiveDirectoryIterator::__construct(/home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxx/html/wp-content/plugins/akismet): failed to open dir: Permission denied' in /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxx/html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/hidden-plugin-folders-cron.php:223
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: RecursiveDirectoryIterator->__construct('/home/content/a...', 0)
    #1 /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxx/html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/hidden-plugin-folders-cron.php(223): RecursiveDirectoryIterator->getChildren()
    #2 /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxx/html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/hidden-plugin-folders-cron.php(147): bpsPro_hidden_plugins_check_alert()
    #3 [internal function]: bpsPro_hidden_plugins_check()
    #4 /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxx/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): call_user_func_array('bpsPro_hidden_p...', Array)
    #5  in /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxx/html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/hidden-plugin-folders-cron.php on line 223

I added an ignore rule for “akismet” in the Hidden Plugin Folders|Files Cron (HPF) > Ignore Hidden Plugin Folders & Files area a few days ago. I also have this folder excluded from ARQ (AutoRestore|Quarantine – ARQ IDPS > Exclude wp-content Folders Under The wp-content Folder ONLY).

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Jutta

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I don’t believe this issue/problem is directly related to BPS Pro or Akismet. Lately we have seen several new issues with GDMW hosting so we have to assume that GDMW hosting has changed the GDMW managed hosting environment in some way. You will need to contact GDMW hosting support to get this issue/problem solved since GDMW hosting is not standard/tyical web hosting. It may just be that BPS Pro is no longer completely compatible with GDMW hosting or maybe additional BPS Pro features will no longer work on GDMW hosting (see the GDMW help reference link below). Can’t really say what Akismet features may or may not work on GDMW hosting now since we do not know all of the factors involved, etc. and of course do not directly support Akismet.  😉

GDMW help reference info:
    https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/gdmw/

Additional notes:
    GDMW hosting is a managed hosting environment that has built-in security protection so BPS Pro is probably not necessary in the GDMW managed hosting environment.  The “Managed” part of GDMW hosting means the GDMW hosting environment is already managed (meaning something like a server admin setup a secure server on a corp site with security parameters/measures already in place – comes with restrictions and limitations of course).  So probably anything you introduce into that already “managed environment” is going to have some sort of issue.  We believe the GDMW hosting environment is very secure so honestly you probably do not need to add additional plugins etc. that will conflict/have issues/etc. with GDMW hosting.  Or maybe you will need to limit, which option settings you use/choose in any/all plugins to work with GDMW hosting.  😉

Living Miracles
    Participant

Ok, thanks. I appreciate that. I just felt to write to you because the issue is happening only on one of the GDMWP sites that I manage (out of 30)… now, I looked into it a bit more, and there’s one other site that’s showing the same issues. However, both of these sites have had some other problems recently (since GoDaddy did some automatic WordPress core updates).

So, I just wanted to see if there’s any ways to troubleshoot those errors I’m seeing from a BPS Pro perspective 🙂

Thanks for your help! BPS Pro is working quite nicely on the other 28 Managed WordPress sites that I manage, so I still feel that BPS Pro and GDMWP still play quite well together in my experience. Just running into odd little bugs sometimes, like this one with those errors.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yeah wish I could be of more help, but GDMW hosting is a completely different type of animal than standard hosting so a lot of the “known” stuff that applies universally with “typical/standard” hosting does not apply to GDMW hosting.  My gut is telling me GDMW hosting has changed some stuff recently.  Seen several very similar issues/problems like the one you posted.  Most folks contact us via email and there has been a significant increase in this very similar type of issue lately.  Could also be some sort of issue with something about 4.9, but I seriously doubt that and suspect logically that it is a coincidental timing kind of thing with GDMW and WP 4.9.  😉

Living Miracles
    Participant

Thanks!! Well, it’s very helpful to know that I’m not the only one seeing issues!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.