Security Log White Screen + PHP Error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Security Log White Screen + PHP Error

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tony Payne
    Participant

When I try to view the Security Log the top section fo the screen (Security Log Error / PHP Log Error) displays, but the rest of the screen is blank. The following PHP error is triggered as a result:

PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/---------/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/security-log/security-log.php on line 117

Prior to doing this, I updated this site as follows, not having updated it for maybe 6 months:
    (a) Update BPS Pro plugin  and run setup wizard.
    (b) Upgrade to WP 3.81.  This gave WSOD.
    (c) Renamed plugins folder, re-ran the WP update, renamed plugins folder back, re-activated BPS Pro.
    (d) Then checked and re-activated the remaining plugins, went through BPS setup wizard again, and made sure I had the right files backed up for Autorestore.

All else seems to be ok, except I can’t view the Security Log screen. Wondering if this is a corruption in the file or something wrong with my setup.  Wondered if this was the result of some problem during the WP/plugin updates and if this had been reported before.  I can’t see any obvious errors on line 117:

if (isset($_POST['Submit-Error-Log-Off']) && current_user_can('manage_options'){
    check_admin_referer( 'bps-error-log-off' );
    Tony Payne
    Participant

I downloaded bulletproof-security/admin/security-log/security-log.php from this site and also from another site I updated last week, and the files are different on many lines.  Not always obvious differences (Winmerge sometimes shows line differences when there don’t appear to be any to the eye) but there are at least 2 lines that have different code.

Not sure what happened as I did an update to the BPS plugin before anything else.

BPS seems to think I have the latest version, what’s the simplest way to re-apply this?   Not sure whether deactivating/deleting and re-installing is the right way.  I could download the plugin contents from my other site and replace the plugin on this site from there?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Click the BPS Pro Install / Backup menu link and reinstall BPS Pro using the BPS Pro built-in Upload Zip Installer.

Tony Payne
    Participant

That seems to have fixed it.  Sorry, I keep forgetting about the Pro Tools and the Zip Installer. The latest version of BPS Pro is really nice, and I especially like the Setup Wizard, it helps me to get things set up correctly. Main problem I have is getting from older versions to the latest, but having got there it’s well worth the effort.

bill
    Participant

Hello.

I just setup a new site (with WP 3.8.2) with Pro 8.3 and I’m getting the same error message as the OP. In addition to…

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/content/.../html/site/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/security-log/security-log.php on line 117

I’m also receiving the following…I’ve tried re-installing it as instructed above to no avail. Please advise when your schedule permits… thanks.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/content/.../html/site/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/login/login.php on line 103
    Tony Payne
    Participant

Sounds like you can’t even log in Bill, so I recommend renaming the BPS plugin folder (using Control Panel / FTP) which should de-activate BPS and allow you to log in to your WP site.  Once logged in, rename the folder back, view plugins and Activate BPS, and follow what AITpro Admin suggested:

Click the BPS Pro Install / Backup menu link and reinstall BPS Pro using the BPS Pro built-in Upload Zip Installer.

That worked for me, and I haven’t had problems since.  I think it’s a fault of previous versions of BPS Pro, however the latest ones are much simpler to configure and even better. There is an option to use a Wizard to configure it, which helped to resolve my problems.

Good Luck.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, Tony is correct. Thanks Tony.

An additional method to reinstall BPS Pro is this.  Use FTP and delete the /bulletproof-security plugin folder.  Use the WordPress Upload zip installer to reinstall the bulletproof-security.zip file.  You will not lose any of your BPS Pro settings by using this reinstall method.

BPS Pro has built-in Anti-piracy code so when several conditions match, BPS Pro will destroy all parts of itself that allow access/control to BPS Pro pages to change settings, BUT BPS Pro is still 100% functional and still fully protecting the website when the Anti-piracy mechanism is triggered.

bill
    Participant

Thanks… Everything is working perfectly now. And, thank you Tony for your concern and assistance also.

AITPro/BPS is nothing short of amazing. And though, I’ve said this several times over the years… job very well done, Ed (and team)! Another donation is forthcoming, my friend…

Last thing: Everyone please do not stop at your BPS Pro purchase. Clearly the work/updates/additions/etc. is an ongoing, perpetual task for AITPro — clearly. All so we might rest easy knowing that our sites are safe and secure. Donate, donate, donate! Please.

Continued Success and Many Thanks.
    Bill

Tony Payne
    Participant

Well said Bill. I echo everything you said.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Bill – Thanks for the Kudos.
    @ Tony – thanks again for jumping in.  Very much appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.