Setting PHP Error Log location causes 500 Error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Setting PHP Error Log location causes 500 Error

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

Having problems when I install BPS Pro on [website name removed for privacy] one of my WordPress sites. Worked fine on two other sites [website name removed for privacy] and [website name removed for privacy].

Every time I get to the point of setting the PHP error log location, when I click the activate button, the site refeshes to a complete blank and it seems to be throwing 500 errors. The site becomes completely invisible and can only be restored by deleting BPS Pro manually through an FTP client, and deleting all the .htaccess files.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have not come across this issue/problem before so logically what I assume is happening has something to do with not clicking both ini_set Options – Save Options and Enable Options buttons – or maybe an incorrect value was entered on the ini_set Options settings page.  Did you click both ini_set Options buttons – Save Options and Enable Options buttons? 

Steve Lubetkin
    Participant

I will try to go through all the steps again more carefully and report exactly when this error occurs.
    OK, I reinstalled BPS Pro using the Zip upload. I got through all the configuration settings until this message:
    Custom php.ini File Error – PHP Error Log Path Does Not MatchThe PHP Error Log Location Set To: folder path does not match the Error Log Path Seen by Server: folder path.If your site is in Maintenance Mode you can disregard this error message. Click Here to go to the PHP Error Log page and click the Htaccess Protected Secure PHP Error Log Read Me button for troubleshooting steps.
    I set the PHP error log to
    /[root]/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/php/bps_php_error.log
    This was listed as the default setting for BPS Pro. I used this because when I tried to use the ini_set option
    /[root]/wordpress/wp-content/bps-backup/logs/bps_php_error.log
    this did not create a writeable error log.
    When I changed the location to the default setting, I got a green light on the PHP error log page. But the error message above didn’t go away. I went to the ini_set Options tab and set the location to
    /[root]/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/php/bps_php_error.log
    I clicked save and when I clicked enable, that’s when the whole site goes blank. By using the back button I can stay in the admin panels but the only way I can get the site to come back up is to completely remove BPS Pro.

Steve Lubetkin
    Participant

And I had to remove the wp-config.php and replace it with one that did not have a BPS-Pro section.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep then the issue/problem is definitely related to ini_set Options.  

Do you have an English version of WordPress installed on that site?  

Has the wp-config.php file been customized in any way or is different than a standard WordPress wp-config.php file?

Has the ini_set() php function been disabled on this Server?  You can check for this by going to the P-Security >>> Php.ini Options page and clicking on the Diagnostic Checks/Recommendations Run Check button.  In the diagnostic results check for this:  disable_functions: The ini_set function is Not Disabled

Please post the answers to the questions above.

Also it is possible that a random Server hiccup occurred at the time the ini_set code was being created in your wp-config.php file.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh I did not see your first reply.  Something is not right about not being able to use the /bps-backup path.  If this location is not writeable then either there is a folder/file permission problem with the wp-content folder permissions or something else is blocking writing to the /bps-backup folder.  Do you have the Sucuri Security plugin installed?

/[root]/wordpress/wp-content/bps-backup/logs/bps_php_error.log – this did not create a writeable error log.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Also please post these results from running the diagnostic check.

Server Type: Apache
    Operating System: Linux
    Server API: cgi-fcgi – Your Host Server is using CGI.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.