SiteGround: ARQ turns off during updates

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro SiteGround: ARQ turns off during updates

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Hi again,

I just tested again the issue with ARQ turning off during plugin/theme updates via ManageWP. Do you have any other idea, why ARQ would be turning off when updating plugins/themes via ManageWP. ARQ goes through its normal process fine when making updates via the WordPress backend.

I’d be happy to contact ManageWP with something specific if that’s helpful, but I’m not sure how to address this with them at the moment. But I’d really like to use ManageWP for updates as it saves me a lot of time and has generally worked really well with ARQ.

Thanks!
    Jutta

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

ARQ is supposed to automatically get turned Off when remote plugin/theme updates are done via ManageWP remotely. The problem is that ARQ is not being automatically turned back On after doing plugin/theme updates remotely via ManageWP correct?  BPS Pro ARQ and ManageWP both hook into the WordPress Upgrader class.  So that means that even remote installations done via ManageWP should work the same as local plugin/theme updates from your WordPress Dashboard.  Previously I stated that something must be interfering with the normal functionality of ARQ Automation.  It could be a Cron issue/problem or something else that is preventing the ARQ Automation Cron from turning itself back On after handling a remote plugin/theme update made by ManageWP.  Unfortunately, this not something that I can test by logging into your website since ManageWP updates/installation are done remotely via the ManageWP site.

Are you waiting long enough for the ARQ Automation Cron to turn itself back On?  It could take up to 3 minutes for that to happen.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Hi there, thanks. Yes, I’m definitely waiting long enough. ARQ simply turns off after a few minutes of being “Pending”. Then I have to manually turn it on again. I’m currently in communication with SiteGround, where these sites are hosted. They’ll try to duplicate the issue 🙂 I’ll send them your last response to me. Maybe that will help them narrow down what’s happening.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Another person with SiteGround hosting had the exact same issue.  The issue did not have anything to do with ManageWP.  So that was a bit misleading.  Anyway the issue is caused by SiteGround’s SG Optimizer caching plugin.  I am documenting anything and everything technical and step by step stuff since a link will be sent by the other person to SiteGround support to have them take a look at this forum topic to help them figure out what is going on.

The BPS AutoRestore Cron end of things:
    BPS has a Cron job that runs once per minute and does some conditional checks to see if AutoRestore should be turned back On or not. Originally I thought there may be some sort of AJAX function call and SG Optimizer caching, but I believe that the issue is something even simpler like the SG Optimizer plugin code is doing something that does not allow a 1 minute Cron job or maybe resetting scheduled Cron jobs or something like that.  In laymans terms it is like SG Optimizer is “bumping” the 1 minute cron job so it continues not to fire every 1 minute unless you do the exact steps below to see the issue.

The Issue:
    The AutoRestore Cron job that runs once per minute that checks if AutoRestore should be turned on after it has turned itself Off and backed up any files that need to be backed up, does not successfully get turned backed On when it should due to the SG Optimizer plugin interfering with the 1 minute cron job so that it never fires/completes successfully.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Deactivate the SG Optimizer plugin.
    2. Update any plugin.
    Notes:  What should occur when you update any plugin is that BPS Pro AutoRestore turns itself Off, backs up any files that should be backed up and then should automatically turns itself back On.  AutoRestore is not being turned back On because the Cron job that runs once per minute does not fire successfully.
    3. Activate the SG Optimizer plugin and the AutoRestore Cron job that runs once per minute will succeed at that point and automatically turn AutoRestore back On.
    Notes:  What is interesting to note is that if you leave the SG Optimizer plugin deactivated then the AutoRestore Cron job that turns AutoRestore back On will not run successfully.  If the SG Optimizar plugin is activated when you update any plugin then the AutoRestore Cron job that turns AutoRestore back On will not run successfully.

BPS Pro Technical Stuff:
    The AutoRestore Cron job code is in this file:  /bulletproof-security/includes/arq-cron.php
    The function name is:  bpsPro_schedule_AutoRestore_checks() at code line:  114
    There is nothing unusual about this particular function or code.  It is a standard function that is triggered/run by a WordPress Cron Action. The only difference between this function and the many other BPS Pro functions that do the same exact thing and that are working perfectly fine is that this particular function is triggered by a Cron job that is run/scheduled once per minute.  So I believe that is the key to whatever is causing this issue.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.