The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated on website

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated on website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Bart
    Participant

Hi,

Since a couple of days I suddenly receive email alerts with the title: BPS Pro Alert: The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated – 27 March 2017 – 08:48 (see text underneath for whole mail)

Nobody deactivated it and I did not change any settings. Should I worry about these alerts and what can I do to stop these alerts or to resolve the problem?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Bart

The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated on website: XXXX To stop these email alerts from being sent while BPS Pro is deactivated, delete this file: /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-pro-mu-tools.php. The bps-pro-mu-tools.php file will be automatically created again once BPS Pro is activated again.

Note: If you are troubleshooting the BPS Pro plugin then click this BPS Pro Troubleshooting link: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting. The BPS Pro plugin has built-in troubleshooting capability and should not be deactivated for troubleshooting. Deactivating BPS Pro removes the built-in troubleshooting tools/capabilities. You can turn all BPS Pro security features On or Off for troubleshooting to isolate exactly which BPS Pro security feature is causing an issue/problem or to confirm or eliminate BPS Pro as the cause of an issue/problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, this is a nuisance issue that you can ignored for now.  As of BPS Pro 12.8 we added an additional check that checks when the BPS Pro plugin is deactivated.  During a BPS Pro plugin upgrade the old BPS Pro plugin version is deactivated and deleted by WP, which is the standard plugin update method.  So we just need to add an additional checking condition to not check this particular scenario and only check the scenario where someone actually manually deactivated the BPS Pro plugin.  So since the old BPS Pro plugin version was deactivated and new BPS Pro version was automatically activated again by WP then that is why this email alert is being sent. So just ignore it for now.  This will be corrected in the next BPS Pro version, but the same email alert may be sent one last time in the next BPS Pro version. We are not sure yet if that issue will happen or not one last time. 😉

Jason
    Participant

Hi

So I believe I’m getting the same error but wanted to double check there isn’t anything untoward happening.

I’m on BPS Pro Version 12.9.1 and the deactivation alert email (copied below) always comes in about the same time 03:32 GMT.

Thanks
    Jason

The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated on website: XXXX. To stop these email alerts from being sent while BPS Pro is deactivated, delete this file: /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-pro-mu-tools.php. The bps-pro-mu-tools.php file will be automatically created again once BPS Pro is activated again.

Note: If you are troubleshooting the BPS Pro plugin then click this BPS Pro Troubleshooting link: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting. The BPS Pro plugin has built-in troubleshooting capability and should not be deactivated for troubleshooting. Deactivating BPS Pro removes the built-in troubleshooting tools/capabilities. You can turn all BPS Pro security features On or Off for troubleshooting to isolate exactly which BPS Pro security feature is causing an issue/problem or to confirm or eliminate BPS Pro as the cause of an issue/problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jason – The email alert is the older version of the email alert.  We have changed that particular email alert in BPS Pro 12.9.1. So hopefully that would indicate that the older BPS version code was still in effect.  If the new email alert is still being sent during BPS upgrades then we will need to figure out another way of handling that issue.  Either way not a big deal.  So you can just ignore the email alert.  The newer email alert contains this help info… “…If you just upgraded BPS Pro you can ignore this email alert unless you continue to receive these email alerts every 5 minutes. If you continue to receive these email alerts, login to your website and run the BPS Pro Setup Wizard….”

Jason
    Participant

Nice one, thanks for letting me know. If I keep getting the alert I’ll run the wizard again to see if that stops it.

Thanks again
    Jason

Marc Fest
    Participant

I’ve installed BPS on 5 of my WordPress sites (all on the same server) , but only one is giving me this same problem, sending the “The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated on website” message approx. every 15 minutes. Should I just create a filter to delete the message in my email client? Or should I try to re-install the plugin?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Marc

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Marc Fest – Is this site type a Network|Multisite site or a standard single site type?  If this site is a Network|Multisite site then there is a known issue that has been fixed in BPS Pro 13: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bps-pro-plugin-deactivated-security-log-entry/#post-33259 For now you can just ignore the Security Log entries or Disable the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin:  WordPress Plugins page > Must-Use link > BPS Pro MU Tools > Disable link.  If this is a standard single site type then try running the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard again and see if that stops the email alerts.

Jason
    Participant

Hello

Just to follow up on this; I’m still getting the deactivation message every night. I’ve re-ran the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard again a couple of times since my last post a month ago but it doesn’t stop the alert.

The plugin appears to be working fine, it’s just the automated message keeps appearing.

Thanks
    Jason

Email message is as follows:

The BPS Pro plugin has been deactivated on website: http://pingcreates.com. To stop these email alerts from being sent while BPS Pro is deactivated, delete this file: /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-pro-mu-tools.php. The bps-pro-mu-tools.php file will be automatically created again once BPS Pro is activated again.

Marc Fest
    Participant

@ AITpro Admin, thank you for your reply. FYI: I was able to fix the problem by deactivating, deleting and then re-installing the plugin. I noticed that when I deleted the plugin, there was still another instance of it listed in the list of plugins, so I had to delete it again, after which it was not listed anymore. I’m mentioning this, in case it might be related to the issue.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jason – The email alert is the older version of the email alert for BPS Pro versions below 12.9.1. We have changed that particular email alert in BPS Pro 12.9.1.  Maybe you have 2 instances of the BPS Pro plugin installed? Check your WordPress /plugins/ folder and look for any other /bulletproof-security/ plugin folders and delete them.  Or maybe you have an old BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin file in your /wp-content/mu-plugins/ folder.  Delete any/all bps-pro-mu-tools.php files that you see in your WordPress /wp-content/mu-plugins/ folder.

@ Marc Fest – Yep, that would definitely cause that problem since the email alerts were correct.  😉  Good job on figuring out the problem.

Jason
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t have any duplicate installs of BPS Pro so I deleted the single “bps-pro-mu-tools.php” and this has now been automatically created.

In Admin > Plugins > Must-Use it’s saying Version 3.0 for BPS Pro MU Tools – is that the latest version?

I’ll check to see if the alert comes through again tonight and if it does I will try the suggestion from Marc – thanks for the information Marc, good to know 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jason – Yes, the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin version is 3.0 in BPS Pro 12.9.1. This is a major clue about what is causing this problem – “I’ll check to see if the alert comes through again tonight…”.  The BPS Pro MU Tools plugin must-use plugin will send an email alert every 5 minutes when the BPS Pro plugin is deactivated.  So taking a logical guess, this is what I think is happening.  Either you have another plugin installed that does something like backups at X time (sometime at night) or your web host does an automated backup at X time (sometime at night) and all plugins are being deactivated before that backup occurs at X time (sometime at night).  So what you would need to check would be any plugins that you have installed that would do something like this using a WordPress Cron job and/or check with your web host to see if they are doing something like this.  You can check the BPS Pro > Pro-Tools > Scheduled Crons tool to see all scheduled Cron Jobs and what time they run on your website.  What you would be looking for are any Cron Jobs that are scheduled to run around the time that this issue occurs with BPS Pro being deactivated (sometime at night).

Jason
    Participant

That is superb detective work and I’ve taken a look.

I only have a few plugins running, plus they’ve been in place for years so I don’t *think* it’s them
    The server only has one CRON job to renew LetsEncrypt and having just run that it didn’t trigger the deactivation warning.
    The server backup by my host is a good shout though and checking their website I noticed this:

Backups are taken between 12am and 6am – the time varies day to day based on the processing load for our backup services.

So I’ll give fire them an email and find out what time my reseller is backing up at.

One question. I’ve been on this hosting and backup procedure for years with BPS Pro installed. It’s only in the last few months this started and wondered why now?

Thanks so much
    Jason

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jason – The answer for why this issue has only started occurring in the last few months is because the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin was first created in BPS Pro 12.8 (3 months ago). 😉

Jason
    Participant

HAHA! Yeh, sorry that would make sense (where did 3 months go!?!) 😀

So, having contacted my host I think you’re right although as the time of backups are “variable” so is the time stamp from BPS Pro. For example I received another email last night at 03:38 (+1 UTC) and as I only receive one email every night the theory adds up.

Obviously I don’t want to disable the deactivation email alert completely as this is essential information if something actually did happen.

However, is there anything that can be done BPS Pro side or is this email something I’ll have to ignore going forward?

Many thanks
    Jason

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.