This file may contain malicious executable code – Wordfence warning

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro This file may contain malicious executable code – Wordfence warning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

I ran a security check after the installation and the system gave this message. Why did I get this file? I am planning to remove it.

Filename:

wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/tools/tools.php

File type:

Not a core, theme or plugin file.

Issue first detected:

9 secs ago.

Severity:

Critical

Status

New

This file is a PHP executable file and contains an eval() function and base64() decoding function on the same line. This is a common technique used by hackers to hide and execute code. If you know about this file you can choose to ignore it to exclude it from future scans. 

Tools: View the file. Delete this file (can’t be undone).
    Resolve: I have fixed this issue Ignore until the file changes. Always ignore this file.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE:
    As of BPS Pro 9.6 the Pro-Tools Base64 Decoder / Encoder tools were moved to their own individual pages and can be deleted individually from Pro-Tools. See this Forum link for full details:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/scanner-detects-malicious-code-or-infected-files-in-bps-pro-pro-tools/

Scanners do not have the capability to actually tell the difference between good code and bad/malicious code with 100% accuracy.  Scanners look for coding patterns or php code functions that are used in hacking scripts.  Scanners can help to generally find possible code that could or might be bad, but a scanner just does not and can never be configured to have the capability to actually really tell you 100% if code is good or bad.  😉

BulletProof Security Pro has a Base64 Decoding Tool in the Pro-Tools component of BPS Pro.  That Base64 decoding tool has standard legitimate php functions that are used to decode Base64 code/hackers code.  The Wordfence scanner is seeing those legitmate php functions in the tools.php file, but cannot really tell whether or not this is actually good or bad/malicious code and can only generally see that the code might be possibly bad/malicious.

To solve this issue just tell Wordfence to always ignore this file.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.