Unlock htaccess File, Lock htaccess File, Turn On AutoLock, Turn Off AutoLock

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Unlock htaccess File, Lock htaccess File, Turn On AutoLock, Turn Off AutoLock

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AbZu2
    Participant

I have the following information after installing BPS Pro:

[obsolete-removed]

>>  All very well explained except how to unlock the Root htaccess file, if you have never done it before. I assume that my site is in [obsolete-removed], but how do I check that ? Refreshing my browser doesn’t alter the display of the above information, so am I to assume that my site is not in [obsolete-removed]? I also assume that WPSC htaccess code is not in my root htaccess file  due to the fact that I am viewing this message. TIA

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

In your particular case since you are setting up WP Super Cache see these newer WPSC setup steps in this forum topic:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/where-is-the-log/#post-2715

BPS Pro:  Go to the B-Core > htaccess File Editor tab page > available buttons:  Unlock htaccess File, Lock htaccess File, Turn On AutoLock and Turn Off AutoLock.

BPS Free:  Go to the htaccess Core > htaccess File Editor tab page > available buttons: Unlock htaccess File, Lock htaccess File, Turn On AutoLock and Turn Off AutoLock.

Important Notes (htaccess File Editor Read Me Help button):

Lock|Unlock .htaccess Files
    If your Server API is using CGI then you will see Lock and Unlock buttons to lock your Root htaccess file with 404 Permissions and unlock your root htaccess file with 644 Permissions. If your Server API is using CLI – DSO/Apache/mod_php then you will not see lock and unlock buttons. 644 Permissions are required to write to/edit the root htaccess file. Once you are done editing your root htaccess file use the lock button to lock it with 404 Permissions. 644 Permissions for DSO are considered secure for DSO because of the different way that file security is handled with DSO.

If your Root htaccess file is locked and you try to save your editing changes you will see a pop message that your Root htaccess file is locked. You will need to unlock your Root htaccess file before you can save your changes.

Turn On AutoLock|Turn Off AutoLock
    AutoLock is designed to automatically lock your root .htaccess file to save you an additional step of locking your root .htaccess file when performing certain actions, tasks or functions and AutoLock also automatically locks your root .htaccess during BPS Pro upgrades. This can be a problem for some folks whose Web Hosts do not allow locking the root .htaccess file with 404 file permissions and can cause 403 errors and/or cause a website to crash. For 99.99% of folks leaving AutoLock turned On will work fine. If your Web Host ONLY allows 644 file permissions for your root .htaccess file then click the Turn Off AutoLock button. This turns Off AutoLocking for all BPS actions, tasks, functions and also for BPS Pro upgrades.

[obsolete-removed]

AbZu2
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. Attempting to follow the instructions on http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/where-is-the-log/#post-2715 I got stuck on:

Step 6.  Go to BPS Custom Code and paste the WP Super Cache .htaccess code into the top text box:  CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE: Add php.ini handler and/or plugin cache code here and click the Save Root Custom Code button.  If you have a php/php.ini handler in your Root .htaccess file then copy that php/php.ini handler right above the WP Super Cache .htaccess code.  See example .htaccess file above as a reference.

I see that this information is from a post in 2013 and the BPS structure for the current version 11.7 may have changed. Fail to see: CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE: Add php.ini handler and/or plugin cache code

Selecting Custom Code in the BPS Pro options (which directs me to B-Core, which is highlighted ) I get the attached options. No top text box in sight. ¿?

http://prnt.sc/axg4st

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You need to click the Root htaccess File Custom Code accordion tab button.

AbZu2
    Participant

OK. The omission of that detail was confusing. Thanks for the clarification. Was able to successfully complete the process.

AbZu2
    Participant

After having successfully completed the outlined steps in http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/where-is-the-log/#post-2715 I continue to see the WPSC error message.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Double check all of the steps if you are using WPSC mod_rewrite.  Note:  You need to choose WPSC mod_rewrite since it is not chosen by default.  If you are not using WPSC mod_rewrite then add this line of text # WPSuperCache to this BPS Custom Code text box: CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE.

AbZu2
    Participant

Double checked all the procedures and copied the updated Mod Rewrite Rules as explained in Step 6. Continued to get the WPSuperCache error. Added # WPSuperCache as suggested to the BPS custom code, above the pasted Mod Rewrite Rules and the error disappeared.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.