W3TC Error and site extremely slow

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free W3TC Error and site extremely slow

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Carol Lamoreaux
    Participant

I am using BPS free version and my site is running extremely slow so I tried deactivating W3TC.  Then I tried reactivating it and now I am getting this error in BPS

W3 Total Cache is activated, but W3TC .htaccess code was NOT found in your root .htaccess file.
    W3TC needs to be redeployed by clicking either the auto-install or deploy buttons. If your root .htaccess file is locked then you need to unlock it to allow W3TC to write its htaccess code to your root htaccess file. Click to Redeploy W3TC. BPS Lock and Unlock buttons are on the Edit/Upload/Download page.

First, where is the “Edit/Upload/Download page” to find the Lock and Unlock buttons. I followed the steps in other posts on here – unlock the .htaccess (in the htaccess File Editor tab), deactivate W3, reactivate W3, save W3 settings.  Still getting this error. Both plugins are up-to-date.  Please help!

One more thing – every time I deactivate or activate W3Tc, I get this warning:

BPS Alert! Your site does not appear to be protected by BulletProof Security

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS does not affect site load speed in any way, unless of course you use this Speed Boost caching code we created and then your site will perform better/load faster:

Speed Boost Cache Code: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/htaccess-caching-code-speed-boost-cache-code/

“…where is the “Edit/Upload/Download page”…”

This help message will be corrected in BPS .49.2.  The old tab page was named Edit/Upload/Download and was changed too:  htaccess File Editor tab page in BPS .49.1.

It is recommended that you add the W3TC .htaccess caching code to BPS Custom Code to save it permanently so that you do not see these alerts displayed to you.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/load-times-extremely-slow/#post-8047

1. Copy and paste the W3TC caching code from your root .htaccess file into this BPS Pro Custom Code text box:CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE: Add php.ini handler and/or plugin cache code here.
    Note: If you are using a php/php.ini handler in your root .htaccess file then you would also copy and paste your php/php.ini handler into this Custom Code text box directly above the W3TC .htaccess caching code.
    2. Click the Save Root Custom Code button.
    3. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

Carol Lamoreaux
    Participant

I don’t know what the W3TC caching code is and it is not in the link you provided.  That link talks about woocommerce code.  What is the w3TC code I need to add.

I found this in another post on your site http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/w3tc-activation/#post-5673 .  Is it what I need to add?

# Enable W3 Total Cache
    define('WP_CACHE', true); // Added by W3 Total Cache
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, you need to make sure that the WP_CACHE Constant is actually in your wp-config.php file.

To get the W3TC .htaccess cache code:  Unlock your root .htaccess file if it is locked, redeploy W3TC, W3TC will write its .htaccess code into the Root .htaccess file, copy that W3TC .htaccess code into the correct Custom Code text box and do the rest of the Custom Code steps explained above.

Carol Lamoreaux
    Participant

After followed you instructions, I got a page with this error: ERROR 500 – INTERNAL SERVER ERROR.  What do I do now!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Either there is a mistake somewhere or this issue/problem is specifically a W3TC issue/problem and not related to BPS.  Delete your root .htaccess file, log back into your site and check for and correct any mistakes if you find any, then activate root folder BulletProof Mode again.

Carol Lamoreaux
    Participant

If I delete the .htaccess file, deactivate, and activate W3TC, will W3TC create a new .htaccess file to write it’s info to?  Also, does deactivating and reactivating add the code in the wp-config.php I need?

Also, my site looks very strange.  It looks like a lot of the styling etc that WordPress has is missing.  Looks kinda like basic HTML?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Delete the Root .htaccess file, activate root BulletProof Mode in BPS.  Yes, deactivating and reactivating W3TC will do both things automatically.

Carol Lamoreaux
    Participant

I’m sorry to be a pain, but I deleted the .htaccess file, used auto create to write a new one, enabled root BPS mode, the re-activated W3TC. I can not see any code at all for W3TC in my root htaccess file.  I am looking in the BPS htaccess File Editor tab, in “Your current root htaccess file”.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Is your root .htaccess file locked?  If so, then unlock it and then go to the W3TC settings page and save your settings.  This will allow W3TC to create its .htaccess code in the root .htaccess file.  If your site crashes again then you will need to delete the root .htaccess file again and change whatever W3TC settings that are causing your website to crash before saving the W3TC settings again.

Carol Lamoreaux
    Participant

It was unlocked.  I tried saving the settings i W3 again and still nothing in the .htaccess file. The site is not crashing anymore.  It just looks odd.  I have not touched the W3 settings for a few weeks and it has been working fine.  All I did was deactivate it to see if my site would run faster and that started this big mess.

Should I uninstall W3 and reinstall it?  Also should I reinstall WordPress since my dashboard is all messed up — looks very odd.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I guess. I don’t use W3TC and am not a W3TC expert so I guess try experimenting with W3TC things/settings.  I can’t really advise you either way since I do not use W3TC or any other caching plugins due to custom website/Server configurations and only use our Speed Boost Caching code on our sites.  Sorry.

Completely uninstall W3TC and completely uninstall BPS.  Then try reinstalling only W3TC and see what happens.

BPS removal steps:

Uninstall Options
    1. An Uninstall Options link is located on the WordPress Plugins page under the BulletProof Security plugin.
    2. Clicking the Uninstall Options link loads a jQuery UI Dialog Form with 2 BPS plugin uninstall options.
    3. If you are upgrading to BPS Pro, select the BPS Pro Upgrade Uninstall option and click the Save Option button or just click the Close button below and do a normal plugin uninstall.
    4. If you want to completely delete the BPS plugin, all files, Custom Code and BPS database settings, select the Complete BPS Plugin Uninstall option and click the Save Option button.

If the problem is with W3TC then I cannot help you because we do not use W3TC on our sites.  You would need to ask the W3TC plugin author – Frederick Townes about his plugin.  Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.