Website crashes after activating BPS Pro

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Website crashes after activating BPS Pro

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jenni101
    Participant

[Topic has been split into this new Topic]

Hello,

I’m unable to activate my BPS Pro plugin as it immediately disables my site, with a 403 forbidden error for the WP admin and a fatal error for the frontend. The only way I can get it back is to restore from a backup on my server (Siteground, using it’s new Site Tools) and then getting a Siteground tech to immediately rename the BPS plugin folder (as for some reason it doesn’t seem to ‘take’ when I rename it via the Site Tools).

I’ve searched the forum and tried a manual zip upload with a fresh download of the plugin, but as soon as I click ‘Activate’ the same thing happens – no time to get to run the setup wizard like usual.

Background: I hadn’t done any updates since Nov/Dec 2020 and have had BPS Pro deactivated and ARQ turned off too (can’t remember why now, but I’m guessing it’s because of this same issue). I updated all plugins and WP. Then before I updated BPS Pro I decided to activate it – same issue a/a with same ‘fix’ a/a.

So not sure how i can manage to reinstall and activate BPS at all now? Can you suggest anything? Am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ jenni101 – Do step #5 at the beginning of this forum topic to turn Off AutoRestore before activating the BPS Pro plugin.  If you need to manually restore files from Quarantine then do all of the steps at the beginning of this forum topic.

jenni101
    Participant

Hi AITpro,

Thanks for your help. I’ve just tried as suggested from #5 and unfortunatley the same thing happens.

I checked that ARQ was turned off in the mu-plugins, which it was, and probably has been all along; I can rename the bps folder back to its original – still all fine as BPS is still deactivated on my site, but of course therefore unable to run the set-up wizard; then as soon as I click ‘activate’ the whole lot must be quarantined, as I can see via my Site Tools that there are immediately no files or folders in my website folder (GWIOD folder) whatsoever!

The error messages first shown are:

for the WP admin side: ‘There has been a critical error on this website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.’

and for the front end of my site: Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required

'/home/customer/www/mysite.com/public_html/mysite/wp-blog-header.php' 
    (include_path='.:/usr/local/php74/pear') in /home/customer/www/mysite.com/public_htm

I have restored it via a site backup, where the BPS plugin is still renamed and deactivated. So I seem to be caught in a vicious circle, where it’s impossible to reactivate BPSpro.

I can confirm that I uploaded the latest version. Can you suggest anything else?

Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ jenni101 – Ok maybe the problem is not related to AutoRestore|Quarantine then.  Send a WordPress Administrator login to the website and an FTP login to the hosting account to:  info at ait-pro dot com.  So I can figure out and fix the problem that is occurring.

jenni101
    Participant

many thanks – sending the info now.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Wow never seen anything like this before. This has got to be some kind of server-side problem or security measure.

Activating the BPS Pro plugin causes your site/server to go into lockdown and block me from accessing the site with a 403 error.

Everyone else will see this php error:

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/home/customer/www/example.com/public_html/tpphoto/wp-blog-header.php'
    (include_path='.:/usr/local/php74/pear') in /home/customer/www/example.com/public_html/index.php on line 17

Even FTP is completely blocking me. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting via FTP and I am blocked from accessing the website folders and files.

Can’t change directory to /example.com/public_html/tpphoto/wp-content/plugins: Permission denied

Copying files from remote side failed.
    Can’t open .htaccess: Permission denied

Error transferring file ‘/example.com/public_html/tpphoto/index.php’.
    Copying files from remote side failed.
    Can’t open index.php: Permission denied

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The only feature in BPS Pro that I can think of that could possibly cause this problem would be the Folder Lock feature.  If it is accidently set to lock the website root folders and files.  That could be the problem because I was able to get back into the /tpphoto/ folder by changing the folder permissions from 400 (locked) to 755.  The next logical step would be to access the database and delete all the BPS Pro Folder Lock DB options.  I would need web host control panel access to do that.  Send the web host login info to:  info at ait-pro dot com.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, that looks like the problem.  I was able to get the site back up by changing the folder permissions using FTP.  So the problem must be that BPS Pro Folder Lock is set to lock the website root folder.  So waiting on the web host control panel login from you to fix this problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Actually let me try doing a BPS Pro uninstallation and reinstallation.  That will remove the BPS Pro Folder Lock DB option settings.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok that worked.  Setting up your BPS Pro Custom Code now.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok BPS Pro is completely setup and everything is working fine.  So be sure to tell your customer NOT to use the BPS Pro Folder Lock feature.  I think at this point I may decide to remove that feature altogether.  It was a bad idea for this exact reason.  😉

jenni101
    Participant

Wow, sorry about that, and thanks so much for a. working it out and b. fixing it! And will leave a BIG note to self to never touch the folder lock feature again!

Totally amazing support – as always – for a totally amazing plugin.

Thank you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.