What is an .hcflag file

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro What is an .hcflag file

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    aoba
    Participant

Hello

Yesterday a new file appeared on the auto restore quarantine alert

.hcflag

https://imgur.com/f0nlGVS

the file is empty.

Fast google search didn’t get me any results

Any idea

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

.hcflag does not appear to be a standard file extension name or file name.  Most likely this file was created by another plugin or theme that you have installed or it could be some kind of file naming convention specific to your web host.  Try this > Go to BPS Pro > Pro-Tools > String|Function Finder tool. Type this:  hcflag for the Search String.  Type in the path to your plugins folder for the Search Path.  Click the Find String button.  This will search all of your installed plugin files for:  hcflag.  Let me know if any search results are found.

aoba
    Participant

The string was found 90 times, and all the finding in the auto-restore log

I didn’t find any results in the plugins folder, so I searched the root dir.

the auto restore path is set to the root dir.

https://imgur.com/0bW1IgP

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I did a search using your host’s (Namecheap) built-in search feature and did not find anything.  The next time the .hcflag file is quarantined send me a copy of that file by going to /wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/root-files/.  You can also contact your web host and ask them if they are creating that file.  Other than that I have no other logical ideas for what the file might be or where it is being created from.

aoba
    Participant

Thanks for your support.

Actually, the file is empty, and i tried several file hosts to upload to and they told me that I can’t upload an empty file.

however, I’m not sure if the file can contain any security risk or not.

I’ve used winrar and then uploaded it to https://file.io/UrAXa2lGY8BI

also I’m going to contact Namecheap support now to check with them, will let you know their answer.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The file name is hcflag without a dot.  So it is not a file extension and is some kind of custom file created by something.  Still have no clue what or where it might be created from though.

aoba
    Participant

Apparently it’s generated by LiteSpeed Cache

After processing all WP instances, system will add a file called “.hcflag” to domain’s docroot. This means that in future cron runs, installations related to this domain will not be touched again.

It is created by WordPress cache plugin.

It is safe.

You can ignore it.

That’s their reply after 40 minutes on the chat .  also the plugin created the file even though it’s deactivated.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok then you want to exclude the .hcflag file from being checked by AutoRestore|Quarantine.  The next time the .hcflag file is quarantined, restore the file instead of deleting the file.  At the top of the Quarantine page > Exclude Folders|Files from being checked by AutoRestore > choose Exclude an Individual File > copy and paste the path to the file > click the Exclude Folder|File button.  Note: You can also get paths to quarantined files in the Quarantine Log file.

aoba
    Participant

Thanks, done that.

BTW, How to see a list of the excluded files! and how to monitor a file again!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can view excluded files by going to AutoRestore > Add|Exclude Other Folders & Files > Remove Excluded Folders|Files Search > enter a forward slash “/” > click the Search button.  Excluded folders and files search results are displayed at the bottom of the page in a Form that allows you to remove excluded files.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.