What is the best SEO plugin to run with BPS Pro?

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro What is the best SEO plugin to run with BPS Pro?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John

Hi there,
    I see from a previous post of yours that there are some issues when running SEO Yoast with the BPS Pro plugin, due to WordPress flush_rewrite_rules() in some plugins working in the wrong way (I think that’s what was meant). As a result I am now a bit nervous of trying my SEO plugin of choice ‘SEO Ultimate’, in case this will unearth all kinds of issues that will blow my mind! My question is… what SEO plugin will work best with your plugin? If SEO Ultimate will work well then great, if not, any suggestions?
    I have tried searching this topic on your site but no luck, apologies if I have missed a previous post that covers this.
    Many thanks.
    John

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have not tested the SEO Ultimate plugin, but no one has ever contacted me about any issues regarding that plugin so most likely there are not any issues with that plugin and BPS.

I am by no means saying that the WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin is not a good SEO plugin.  It appears to be a very good plugin.  All I intended to say is that there is a minor issue with this plugin because it is using a WordPress function in a way that it was not intended to be used, which causes BPS .htaccess code to be deleted if you have not locked your Root .htaccess file.  If you lock your Root .htaccess file then you will not have a problem with using the WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin.  I do not use that plugin for SEO and use the All In One SEO plugin.  I am very happy with the All In One SEO plugin and have been using it for years.  I want to stay away from recommending an SEO plugin for diplomacy reasons to other plugin authors.

John

Thanks for you fast response. I have gone ahead and installed SEO Ultimate, all is fine but I’m getting this message:
    “SEO Ultimate Notice: Your blog is configured to block search engine spiders. To resolve this, go to your Privacy settings and set your blog visible to everyone.”
    ARQ was off when I installed the plugin and Root .htaccess was locked. I have always used SEO Ultimate but not had this before, hence not sure of the next step re BPS. Any thoughts?
    Many thanks again.
    John

John

Sorry, meant to also say… when I go to the Privacy settings it doesn’t allow me to set to the blog ‘Visible to everyone’. It just pops right back to the other setting.
    John

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Did you click the AutoRestore wp-content Backup Files button before turning AutoRestore back On?  Did any plugin files get sent to Quarantine?  Do you have BPS Pro 5.3.3 installed?

John

Yes, all 4 Auto Restore backups clicked before turning Auto restore back on. No files sent to quarantine, and yes 5.3.3 installed. Not sure if this is related but I also get this message in Permalinks:
    “If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.”  Followed by the usual:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, that WordPress Permalinks message is ok/correct because you have locked your Root .htaccess file.  WordPress is just letting you know that the root .htaccess file is locked/not writable.

Ok I just wanted to eliminate that all the basic stuff is correct on your site before looking at the problem.  Also i forget to ask you to check to make sure the wp-admin BulletProof Mode is also activated on your website – Both Root folder BulletProof Mode and wp-admin BulletProof Mode MUST be activated on your website.  Try these steps next.

1.  Deactivate the SEO Ultimate plugin and see if you can now change your Privacy settings.

If you can now change your Privacy settings then do these steps.

1.  Unlock both your wp-config.php file and root .htaccess file in F-Lock.

2.  Activate the SEO Ultimate plugin and see if you can still change your Privacy settings.

If you can now change your Privacy settings then lock your wp-config.php file and your root .htaccess files again.

Test changing your Privacy settings again.

John

I think I’m okay now. The strange thing is that it just ended up being a checkbox for Search Engine Visibility (under Reading) that became un-checked, but could be easily re-set. The setting on the Privacy page that the plugin error link suggested didn’t work (odd it sends you to the wrong place to re-set this crucial visibility). Very strange but all working as it should be.
    Thank you for your help with this.
    John

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  Thanks for confirming all is well now.  Maybe the link has changed in WP 3.5 and the SEO Ultimate plugin has on old link for previous versions of WP?  Either way let the SEO Ultimate plugin folks know about this issue.  Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.