WP Super Cache – WP Super Cache htaccess code, Custom Code

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free WP Super Cache – WP Super Cache htaccess code, Custom Code

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

We are not experiencing any issues or problems with the caching code.  Google is indexing pages at around the normal rate – 24 to 48 hours.

This section of the code says do NOT cache xml files.

<FilesMatch "\.(php|cgi|pl|htm|xml)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "private, no-cache, no-store, proxy-revalidate, no-transform"
    Header set Pragma "no-cache"
    </FilesMatch>

This code will compress xml files: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
    Young Master
    Participant

I see…let me observe for few days until friday and see if there is going to be any change.

Young Master
    Participant

Also I have noticed that WP Super Cache cannot handle real time feed widgets like twitter feed widget. Whenever a tweet is updated on that widget the cache crashes and it will start to display blank pages.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Would you want to cache a Feed?  I thought the purpose of a Feed is to provide sort of brief summary teaser.  I assume you would add an exclude rule in WP Super Cache to NOT cache a feed.  We have decided not to use any caching plugins anymore and are just going to stick with our caching code and see if we can find additional ways to boost speed even more.  So we will not be exploring WP Super Cache any further.

Young Master
    Participant

Its not feed exactly. Its a twitter widget which displays latest tweets from my website’s twitter account. Whenever a widget updates a new tweet the home page displays blank.

Young Master
    Participant

The reason why am still using WP Super Cache is because few months ago my web host suspended my account for using too much server resources and during that time I was using the caching code I pasted in the first page of this thread.

They told me to use a caching plugin which generates static html files from my website which will help my website not to use too much server resources especially at times when am receiving high traffic.

I wish there was another way to resolve this matter because am already sick and tired of WP Super Cache. It makes me monitor my website 24/7 in case it starts to display blank pages.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, that was the problem we were having too.  Worrying about pages being blank and having to check everything all day long every day.  This was also happening before we created and started using our caching code.   This is not a new issue for WPSC.  If you look around the Internet you will see that this issue has been occurring for a while – years.  What is frustrating is that WPSC is totally awesome except for this one issue.  If it were a less critical issue then we would live with it, but it is a very critical issue.

Before we decided to throw in the towel with WPSC I did find a solution that I think would work.  An automated cURL scan that ran at regular intervals to detect corrupted/blank cached pages.  I only confirmed that the basics/theory of this scan would work before we just decided it was just not worth the time and effort to do this.  Our caching code is working very well.  Our sites are probably running .3 seconds slower than when we were using WPSC or maybe they are running at the same speed – either way it is very close.

Young Master
    Participant

How about the bandwidth and CPU usage? does the caching code helps saving the bandwidth and CPU usage even at times when your website receives huge traffic?

Thats the only part which worries me. Am using both caching code and WPSC.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

We are using a Go Daddy Shared Hosting account – the Ultimate Web Hosting Linux hosting deal, which has Unlimited Bandwidth so Bandwidth is not a factor for us.  Yes, the caching code is caching files so it would of course decrease Bandwidth usage.

Bandwidth usage ranges between 2,000 MB to 3,000 MB per day.

Memory usage peaks at 68MB

Young Master
    Participant

yes you are right, most of unlimited shared hosting bandwidth isn’t a factor but CPU usage is a factor and thats the only thing which gives me headache. Is there an alternative way of reducing CPU usage instead of using page cache? I can see how well your systems are oiled…I wish mine were oiled like yours. 😉

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The only difference I see with your sites is that you are using a lot of Social Media external links or external Ads links on one of them.  Any external links will slow your site down a little.  There is not much you can do about that because the primary function of your one site is to HAVE these external Ad links.  😉  Use FireFox with Firebug and FirePHP to see what requests are using the most resources.  Overall it just seems like you need to reduce the number of requests where possible without taking away from the primary function of your one site – Ads.

bongo******* site – has a low number of internal and external requests.  Load time is pretty good.

4.08 first load
    2.81 on reload
    2.75 3rd load

global******* site – has a high number of internal and external requests – 51 requests on first load, but only 19 on reload.

4.58 first load
    3.88 on reload
    3.96 3rd load

Young Master
    Participant

Thank you very much. I will see what I can do.

silas88
    Participant

Here are a couple of references on caching that I found useful, at least to understand some of the background …

https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/best-practices/caching

From the above page one can read

“It is important to specify one of Expires or Cache-Control max-age, <i>and</i> one of Last-Modified or ETag, for all cacheable resources. It is redundant to specify both Expires and Cache-Control: max-age, or to specify both Last-Modified and ETag.”

This was very useful also…

http: //www.mnot.net/cache_docs/#TIPS

dtyler1
    Participant

Where is the WP Super Cache .htaccess mod_rewrite code found?

OK, the message on the dashboard says, “If you are using WPSC mod_rewrite and the WPSC htaccess code is not in your root htaccess file then unlock your Root htaccess file temporarily then click this Update WPSC link to go to the WPSC Settings page and click the Update Mod_Rewrite Rules button.”

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but above you said it will write to the bottom where it doesn’t belong, but on the dashboard it is directing us to unlock it.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can just get the WPSC htaccess code on one of the WPSC plugin settings pages.  Not sure which one that is since it has been a very long time since we tested WPSC.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.