WordPress 3.7 Auto Updates

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free WordPress 3.7 Auto Updates

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WayneM
    Participant

As WP rolls out the new auto updating feature for the WP core, I expect that when auto updates are made the file permissions on the WordPress files  “wp-blog-header.php” and “index.php” will be changed from the BPS recommend 0400 back to the default 644.  Any ideas on how one might auto change those file permissions back to the more secure 0400 after the auto update?

Thanks again for your great product and service.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

We have completed the new BPS Pro 7.7 code to seamlessly work with WordPress automatic updating.  AutoRestore no longer requires that you click the Backup Files buttons when upgrading WordPress directly with the update now link.  AutoRestore automatically shuts down and does the file backups and then turns itself back on again after verifying successful file backups.  The same applies to to WordPress automatic updating of minor WordPress versions.

BPS Pro will automatically lock the wp-blog-header.php and index.php files again.  We are debating on whether or not to automatically clear the php errors.  Most likely they will be automatically cleared.  85% for 15% against automatically clearing these php errors.

We are now in the testing phase looking for ways to break this AutoRestore automation to head off / prevent Live failures.

WayneM
    Participant

Okay. Thanks for that response.
    Does this mean that if I’m using the free version of BPS, that once WP does an auto update the file permissions that have been changed back to the default 0644 will just remain with those less restrictive permissions? Changing them back will only be a Pro feature?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh you have BPS free.  BPS free only locks the root .htaccess file and does not do anything with index.php and wp-blog-header.php.   If you have locked these files yourself then yes you will need to unlock them in order for WordPress automatic updates to complete successfully.

WayneM
    Participant

Yes, using BPS free.

Here’s some more info.

Looks like one of my websites auto updated to WP 3.7.1 last night. I had previously set “wp-blog-header.php” and “index.php” to 0400. Looks like after the auto update, those permissions remained intact at 0400 (as did the “.htaccess” file with 0404).

When I did a manual update from WP 3.6.1 to 3.7 those files permissions change (as usual with WP updates), and I just change them back using file manager.

I guess during the auto update to 3.7.1, those files were not updated. I would guess that those two files would probably not be updated during a “minor” update.

So, it seems like changed file permissions on these specific files will probably be a non-issue for most of the “minor” auto updates 🙂

Having to reset the more restrictive permissions to these files on regular updates (not auto), is not a big deal, as I always check at that time anyway.

Thanks again 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Good to know.  Thanks for posting this info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.