WordPress 5.3.1 update – bps pro sends 6-7 files to quarantine

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro WordPress 5.3.1 update – bps pro sends 6-7 files to quarantine

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Terri Zx
    Participant

On every site I maintain that has updated to WordPress 5.3.1 today, 6 (sometimes 7) files are being sent to quarantine. I’m not sure whether to restore them or delete them or…

The files are in: /public_html/a-domain.com/wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/, either at that level or in sub-directories.

The solution was to re-install WordPress.

I hope this helps someone else!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The WP 5.3.1 automatic update adds a new folder with 6 new files and for some reason the automated AutoRestore backup is not backing up this folder and files in time.  It is some sort of timing problem.

So yep reinstalling WordPress on the Dashboard > Updates page is the correct way to fix this problem.  You can delete the 6 files in Quarantine.  If you try to restore them they will be quarantined again because the new WP folders and files were not backed up to AutoRestore backup.

Edit|Update:
    On further investigation these 3 new WordPress folders below were added In WordPress 5.3.1 and the AutoRestore recursive iterator code failed to create backups of these 3 new folders and the 6 new files in these folders before AutoRestore was automatically turned back on.  The most likely reason for that would be that the new folders are 4 and 5 nested levels deep.  PHP recursive iteration takes significantly longer than loops.  We are looking into adding another AutoRestore FailSafe condition for this issue.

Important Note: This problem only occurs for WordPress Automatic Updates.

/wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/PHP52/
    /wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core/SecretStream/
    /wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core/Base64/

webstar
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

Not sure if I should create another thread or post here since I have the same type of problem.

I have 6 files that keep getting quarantined:

wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core32/SecretStream/State.php

wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core/Base64/UrlSafe.php

wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/PHP52/SplFixedArray.php

wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core/Base64/Original.php

wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core/Base64/Common.php

wp-includes/sodium_compat/src/Core/SecretStream/State.php

I restored them and then a few minutes later it gets quarantined again. Happened twice now.

I did a quick search on Google and found it discussed in WP as part of a list of files revised (I only checked one of them, but, it looks like probably all of them are ok).

Why is it happening since it’s under a standard WP folder?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ webstar – Do the steps below to fix the problem.

Go to the WordPress > Dashboard menu > Updates page > Click the Re-Install Now button to reinstall WordPress.
    Go the BPS Pro Quarantine page and delete the 6 quarantined files.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.