WP Rewrite Loop Added to Bottom of .htaccess File on Every Site after WordPress Core 5.6 Update

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro WP Rewrite Loop Added to Bottom of .htaccess File on Every Site after WordPress Core 5.6 Update

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Regarding the WP AUTHOR ENUMERATION BOT PROBE PROTECTION custom code, we were under the impression that RewriteRules must go inside the WordPress Rewrite loop, which is why the code was placed in Box 8 as opposed to Box 14.

This finding was a result of an email discussion we had back in 2017 (regarding the POST POST REQUEST ATTACK PROTECTION custom code). So, at the time, we made sure to move all of our RewriteRules (including the WP AUTHOR ENUMERATION BOT PROBE PROTECTION custom code) into Box 8 to ensure the code would function correctly.

Is this workaround no longer necessary?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Not all RewriteRules would go in Custom Code text box 8. Only certain code would need to go in Custom Code text box 8 if it needs to be inside of the WordPress Rewrite Loop. The Author Enumeration code does not need to be inside the WordPress Rewrite Loop.

Or another way of putting it is there are only 2 cases where you would add additional custom code in Custom Code text box 8 after the Rewrite Loop Start code.

#1. If you are using the POST Attack Protection Bonus Custom Code > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/post-request-protection-post-attack-protection-post-request-blocker/
    #2. If you need directory/folder bypass rules > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/htaccess-files-for-multiple-website-domains/

Living Miracles
    Participant

Ok I see. Back in 2017, you helped confirm that the POST REQUEST ATTACK PROTECTION custom code would not work outside of the WordPress Rewrite Loop (so we moved it to Box 8 at the time). I know that this code is a slightly different type of RewriteRule than the Author Enumeration code. But can you clarify the distinction so that we are able to tell which types of RewriteRules need to be inside the WordPress Rewrite Loop?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

See my last edited reply. That should make it clear. 😉 I updated my previous reply with additional information while you were asking for additional information.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Got it, thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.