Warning: chmod Operation not permitted in functions.php on line 333

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Warning: chmod Operation not permitted in functions.php on line 333

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Liviu
    Participant

Hello,

I use BPS free plugin for one year and I’m verry happy with it. But after last update I recive this errors:

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/user/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/functions.php on line 333

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/user/public_html/.htaccess) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/liviufr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/functions.php on line 387

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/user/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/functions.php on line 390

BPS Alert! Your site does not appear to be protected by BulletProof Security….

I have 4 wordpress blogs, hosted on the same place, and after the last update, just one blog give me this error. What can I do?

Thank you,

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

These functions in the BPS functions.php file are unlocking, writing and locking your root .htaccess file.  Since your root .htaccess file cannot be unlocked, written to or locked again on this pariticular website then either…

…this website has a DSO configured Server and you will need to manually change the root .htaccess file permissions to 666 to allow writing to the root .htaccess file.  Or use CHOWN and change the Owner to your root username instead of using the “nobody” or “apache” user or the FTP user.

…the website root folder permissions are set too restrictive.  Check your website root folder permissions.

The general idea is that BPS is unable to write to the root .htaccess file since something is blocking this or set too restrictive on this particular website.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This could also be caused by another plugin that is preventing BPS from unlocking and writing to the root .htaccess file.  Are you using any different plugins on this particular website?  If so, then turn off features that may be blocking BPS or deactivate that plugin.

Liviu
    Participant

This is my plugins list: img12.imageshack.us/img12/8247/ro1e.jpg (linked removed to prevent a future dead-link when the image is removed from imageshack) You see something that can prevent BPS from unlocking/writing?

I will talk with my hosting service in order to solve the restrictive rools.

Thank you,

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Possible plugins that could be causing this problem in order of the most likely one:

OSE Firewall
    WP Security Scan
    WordPress Firewall
    WordPress File Monitor Plus

Deactivate each plugin one by one and test to see if the errors go away.

Note:  when you have 2 plugins that are doing the same thing you run a high risk of having conflicts/issues/problems since the 2 plugins will compete using the same functions/features and one will override the other or worse.  More is not always better and you should be selective about which plugin you want to perform a certain task.  Having several plugins doing the same/similar thing is a recipe for disaster and you are guaranteed to have issues and problems.

Additional note:  You would choose either BPS Login Security or Limit Login Attempt to handle Login Security for your website.  These plugin features will compete with each and one will override the other or even worse negate/cancel out your Login Security.

Liviu
    Participant

Sorry for a mistake: the previous plugins list was for another wordpress blog, that work  without problems, even if with some plugins can create conflicts (according to your advice, I will delete some plugins). The correct plugin list is here:  http://imageshack.us/a/img32/2836/i9q3.jpg    I deactivate all my plugins, except BPS, but the error is still there: http://imageshack.us/a/img856/8243/kepo.png 🙁 I hope that my hosting provider can help me regarding the restrictive rules. But is strange, because all others WP blogs are hosted in the same place and after the last update of WP/BPS there is no problem with error messages. In this momment is impossible to change the .htaccess  (root) permissions. Is allways 644.

Liviu
    Participant

The hosting company said that “Our server standard is SUphp, and the standard permisions are  644 for files and 755 for folders. We don’t  have any restrictions” I double check my WP sites with Filezila, with all the plugins deactivated, and the htaccess is “locked” and is impossible to change the permisions. But in  other WP site, hosted in the same place, I have no errors and the htaaccess is “unlocked” and I can change the permissions. So, how to unlock the htaccess file for my obstinate site?   🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok so it does not appear to be a plugin conflict of any kind and since your other sites are installed on this same Server then it is probably not a Server issue.  Try something simple like uninstalling and reinstalling BPS.  It could be that the BPS installation did not take correctly. If your host only allows 644 file permissions for your root .htaccess file then there is nothing you can do about that.  This is something that is configured at the Server. Also download a copy of your root .htaccess file to your computer and delete the root .htaccess file on your website.  uninstall/reinstall BPS and activate root folder BulletProof Mode again.

Liviu
    Participant

Finally! Solved by Host customer service! They change the owner of .htaccess  file, from root to my username , like you suggested in post #8193

Thank you!!!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  Thanks for confirming all is well.

We have looked at several different methods to automate BPS DSO setup and so far the only way that looks doable is using PHP FTP functions to do things at the FTP level.  We think this will work for most DSO Server configurations, but will probably not work on some DSO Server configurations.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/dso-setup-steps/

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:
    I see this error when I tried to protect my website after these actions:
    click the Activate Root Folder BulletProof Mode button

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wpb/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/options.php on line 126
    Warning: copy(/home/xxxxx/public_html/wpb/.htaccess) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wpb/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/options.php on line 129

Failed to Activate BulletProof Security Root Folder Protection! Your Website is NOT protected with BulletProof Security!BulletProof Security ~ htaccess Core

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wpb/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/options.php on line 126
    Warning: copy(/home/xxxxx/public_html/wpb/.htaccess) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wpb/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/options.php on line 129

Failed to Activate BulletProof Security Root Folder Protection! Your Website is NOT protected with BulletProof Security!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Your Server API type is DSO.  You will either need to change Ownership of your WordPress folder and files or you can change permissions.  Click this link below for one-time DSO Server setup steps.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/dso-setup-steps/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.