403 and cron

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro 403 and cron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

I’m new to BPS Pro. I have installed it on new wp sites and I sometimes get locked out for maybe 15 minutes with a 403 error (the most recent lock out). I can’t even view the site in a different browser. I then contact my host and they show me via screenshot that the website is working. Sure enough, I try again and it’s working.

The host tells me to clear cache, etc., but that doesn’t seem to work. It seems like it’s just a matter of patience (15 minutes).

I’m wondering why it happens at all. I noticed the malware scanner of the host detects and cleans the following:

/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/arq-cron.php

Is this a problem? Could this be causing the problem? How can I fix this?

Thanks for any and all input.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This file > /public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/arq-cron.php is the BPS Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine file. It is not malicious and is instead necessary.  What does “detect and clean” mean. Is your host scanner falsely detecting the arq-cron.php file as malicious and removing it?

Send me a WordPress Administrator login to your website to: info@ait-pro.com so I can see what is happening.

john
    Participant

It is detecting the arq-cron.php file as “compromised” and “cleaned”. I checked the files in file manager and it is still there.

Login sent

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro is not causing the 403 error. So it is either coming from the LiteSpeed Cache plugin or your computer Browser (add-in or plugin or maybe corrupt Browser cache) or your web host is blocking something and locking you out of your site. If BPS Pro was locking you out of your site it would be permanent and not intermittent. Note: You have a Linux server and a LiteSpeed API. So make sure you are not enabling LiteSpeed settings for a LiteSpeed server since you have a Linux server.

Your web host scanner has removed these 4 harmless lines of code below from the arq-cron.php file. This is causing AutoRestore|Quarantine to malfunction. Please have your web host exclude this BPS Pro file from being scanned by the server scanner.

$xamppPath1 = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'\.htaccess';
    $xamppPath1b = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/.htaccess';
    $xamppPath2 = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'\index.php';
    $xamppPath2b = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/index.php';
    $xamppPath3 = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'\wp-config.php';
    $xamppPath3b = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/wp-config.php';

The only 403 error that I see logged in the BPS Security Log is this one below, but it is a one time event. Looks like some sort of autologin script to login to your website from within your web host control panel.

[403 GET Request: January 1, 2023 10:09 pm]
    BPS Pro: 17
    WP: 6.1.1
    Event Code: BFHS - Blocked/Forbidden Hacker or Spammer
    Solution: N/A - Hacker/Spammer Blocked/Forbidden
    REMOTE_ADDR: 172.98.32.151
    Host Name: 172.98.32.151
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP: 
    HTTP_FORWARDED: 
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 172.98.32.151, 172.98.32.151
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP: 
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER: https://hpanel.hostinger.com/
    REQUEST_URI: /create_autologin_63b204a29603b.php
    QUERY_STRING: 
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
    john
    Participant

THANK YOU! That’s good to know it’s not a BPS issue. I thought it might have something to do with cron since it was intermittent.

I’ll check with the host and ask them not to scan the file.

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply!

john
    Participant

Hosting said the requested files were whitelisted. Do I need to refresh BPS pro? If so, how?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Reinstall BPS Pro using the BPS Pro built-in upload zip installer > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bulletproof-security-pro-bps-pro-upgrade-installation-methods/

Upgrading an existing BulletProof Security Pro Installation (Using the BPS Pro Built-in Upload Zip Installer)
    Download the bulletproof-security.zip file from the AITpro.com Secure Download Area.  Under the BPS Pro Setup Main menu, click the Upload Zip Install submenu link.  Click the Choose File button, navigate to where you downloaded the bulletproof-security.zip file on your computer (Note:  the zip file MUST be named bulletproof-security.zip) and click the Install Zip Now button.

john
    Participant

Do I need to activate it again or just upload it?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You just need to do the upload zip install.  The upload zip installer is designed to replace files instead of deleting files and installing new files.  Also this does not affect your BPS Pro settings since only files are being replaced.

john
    Participant

Great! It worked for one site. On the second site I couldn’t do anything with the plugin, so I deleted it and reinstalled. It asks me to “Click Here to go to the BPS Pro Setup Wizard page.” but it won’t go anywhere.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, that was the same problem that I was running into when I logged into your site.  1 minute everything was working fine and then nothing was working.  So I just kept waiting and trying again until your host server stopped having a fit.  Your host is throttling your website repeatedly, which causes it to hang, do nothing or display error messages until the host throttle is released again.  This was happening to me over and over when I was logged into your site.

So just keep trying until your host server starts working normally again.

john
    Participant

I’ll keep trying. I was able to upload on 3 of 4 sites. For some reason, one is not working properly.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can also upload the BPS Pro zip file to your /plugins/ folder and then extract the zip file using your File Manager tool (right mouse click => extract) in your web host control panel if zip file uploading is not working.

john
    Participant

I figured it out. I deleted the plugin and uploaded via file manager. I couldn’t get to the setup wizard page. The problem was that I wasn’t going through the activation process.  All works now!

Thanks for your quick help!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh wow I almost mentioned that, but assumed you had already done that. Oops. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.