BulletProof Security Pro, BPS Pro – Upgrade Installation Methods

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BulletProof Security Pro, BPS Pro – Upgrade Installation Methods

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

New BulletProof Security Pro Installations (Using the WordPress Upload zip installer)
    If you are upgrading from BulletProof Security to BulletProof Security Pro or if this is a new installation of BulletProof Security Pro and you do not have either BulletProof Security or BulletProof Security Pro installed click the BulletProof Security Pro Installation, Activation & Setup Wizard Video Tutorial link below.
    BulletProof Security Pro Installation, Activation & Setup Wizard Video Tutorial

Upgrading an existing BulletProof Security Pro Installation (WP Dashboard Plugin Installation)
    BulletProof Security Pro upgrade notifications are displayed in your WordPress Dashboard just like any other plugin upgrade notifications.  When you see that a BPS Pro upgrade is available click the BulletProof Security Pro update now link on the WordPress Plugins page to upgrade BPS Pro (The update now link does not translate to exactly the same wording in other languages – see the screenshot image below for the correct BPS Pro upgrade link to click).  If you are not seeing a BPS Pro update/upgrade notification on the WordPress Plugins page then try clicking the Plugins menu link 3 times (forces a plugin API update check on page reload).  If you are still not seeing a BPS Pro update/upgrade notification then click this link:  https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/wp-mu-plugin-update/#post-22887  for causes and troubleshooting steps.  If after doing the troubleshooting steps in the link and you are still not seeing a BPS Pro update/upgrade notification then can use the BPS Pro built-in Upload Zip installation method below to install BPS Pro upgrades.

Upgrading an existing BulletProof Security Pro Installation (Using the BPS Pro Built-in Upload Zip Installer)
    Download the bulletproof-security.zip file from the AITpro.com Secure Download Area.  Under the BPS Pro Setup Main menu, click the Upload Zip Install submenu link.  Click the Choose File button, navigate to where you downloaded the bulletproof-security.zip file on your computer (Note:  the zip file MUST be named bulletproof-security.zip) and click the Install Zip Now button.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by AITpro Admin.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by AITpro Admin.
    Hannah
    Participant

All the sites in which I have BPS Pro installed were updated to v.12.3 on August 3. The correct version number is showing on all of them in the BPS Pro status header. I received notifications for four of them that a new version is available, 2 on 9/13, and 2 on 9/14 (yesterday). This morning I set up all the sites to upgrade and went through the manual update check, but none of them displayed the update link. Reloaded the Plugins page three times, then clicked the Plugins page three times to make sure…still nothing. So I downloaded the file from the BPS Pro download request page and installed it on one, but didn’t see the version number change. Clicked the Version Release Dates/What’s New link and didn’t see anything beyond 12.3 in the changelog. So I’m wondering if there is indeed a new update available, or if something strange happened that I received these latest update notifications and I can disregard them. Thanks for letting me know.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – BPS Pro 12.3 is the most current version of BPS Pro.  I’ve seen that email problem before on several occasions.  The problem you are describing is going to be some sort of host mail server issue.  ie your host mail server had old emails stored in a bulk mail queue and they were just recently sent after a huge delay or some similar kind of issue/problem with the mail server or your mailbox on the mail server.

bill
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    Hi, AITpro.

I’ve been receiving Pro upgrade notifications (most recently this evening) for the past several days now but I noticed two things: 1. I’ve only received notifications for one (1) of my clients’ sites and 2. I believe its worth noting that it’s my only Managed hosting acct via GD. That said, when I go in and refresh the plugins’ page – nothing. And, when I run a manual force check it comes back clean (nothing). Am I missing something? I’m running 12.3.

Nothing life-threatening… just curious. Thanks.

Bill

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ bill – See the most likely cause for this issue here:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bulletproof-security-pro-bps-pro-upgrade-installation-methods/#post-30952  Another possible cause for this on GDMW hosting could have something to do with the special GDMW 10 minute direct crons.  In any case, nothing to be concerned about.  So just ignore the emails.

Hannah
    Participant

It’s odd that since we talked about this over a month ago I continue to get random notifications from one or more of my BPS Pro sites every day.  When the 12.4 update became available I received notifications for all of them, but they have continued to dribble in since then. Today several came in, possibly for all of them, and finally when checking in admin, there actually is an update available. This doesn’t seem to conform to the pattern I would expect to see if it were the kind of email server dump that you described. Is it possibly something to be concerned about?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – If this is a Go Daddy Managed WordPress hosting website then maybe the custom Crons that GDMW hosting runs for that special type of hosting account is affecting the email notifications?  You can turn Off BPS Pro upgrade notification emails on the BPS Pro S-Monitor page if you do not want your website to email upgrade notifications to you.  As far as anyone else reporting this problem before, there have been a total of 3 people out of 30,000+ people that have reported something similar to this issue.

Hannah
    Participant

I see, and it’s no giant problem – as you said, I can turn off the notifications. It just cropped up after the update to 12.3. These 16 sites are hosted at various hosting providers. While only two of them are GDMW hosted sites, they all send update notifications at random times. Just wanted to let you know it’s ongoing. It’s good to see there aren’t a lot of people having to deal with it. I’ll change the notification settings and keep a closer eye on the plugins folder to find out when updates are available.  Thank you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Just a reminder:  BPS Pro upgrade email notifications are sent once per 24 hrs by each website.  Each website may send the BPS Pro upgrade email notification at different times and be on a different 24hr cycle.  Example:  SiteA may send an email notification at 12pm.  SiteB may send an email notification at 5pm.

Hannah
    Participant

Yes. It hasn’t stopped. I get notifications every day—even after updating the plugin on all the sites where I have BPS Pro installed— that there is an update waiting. I’ve learned that if I don’t receive notifications from all of them in one day then it’s something random that has nothing to do with an update being available. Only slightly annoying and not a problem at all.

However, I just went in to update all the BPS Pro sites to 12.6.1 and one site (on GDMW hosting) is unable to update BPS Pro for the first time. The error reads: Update Failed: Plugin update failed. I have refreshed the page and tried again a couple of times, then did the force plugin update check and attempting to apply the update again a couple of times, and the update continues to fail. I’ll try doing this manually, but wanted to let you know this is happening. I have one other site to update that’s also on GDMW hosting and will let you know if it has the same issue or not.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Both of these problems are not caused by BPS Pro.  The email problem either has to do with something on your host server or mail server or maybe another plugin you have installed.  This is a standard WordPress error message:  Update Failed: Plugin update failed.  It basically means that the WordPress API is unable to process the plugin update.  I’ve had a few people mention this now and after several tries the plugin update finally worked.  Most likely this is some sort of host server hiccup/temporary connectivity problem.  Since both of these problems are most likely server related then you should probably contact your host support and see if they are aware of these types of problems on a global scale.

Hannah
    Participant

OK, I’ll ask the various hosts and see what they say. It was odd that all the other plugin/theme/wp core updates on these sites went without incident.

Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Yep, it is odd.  We are keeping an eye on this and have already triple checked our API server for any issues.  So far 3 people have mentioned this.  So if the number gets higher then we will try and figure out a common denominator for all websites where this is occurring.  Since this is an API connectivity issue then the problem could be a remote problem or something interfering with remote API server connectivity/communications.

Hannah
    Participant

Just updated the other site that’s on GDMW hosting and the same thing happened. I’ll do it manually as I finally needed to do the other that way as well. Sorry, haven’t had a chance to discuss this with GoDaddy yet.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – If you would like for me to login to this site and see if I can find the problem then send a WordPress Administrator login to this site to: info at ait-pro dot com.  At bare minimum I will be to eliminate everything that is not the problem so that the things left that could be the problem will be a very short list.  I’m pretty sure this is going to have something to do with your host server or something installed on your host server or a host server configuration setting issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.