BulletProof Security Pro, BPS Pro – Upgrade Installation Methods

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BulletProof Security Pro, BPS Pro – Upgrade Installation Methods

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Steve Lubetkin
    Participant

I just upgraded my sites to version 12.8. I am getting email messages telling me that BPS is deactivated on the sites, and telling me:

“To stop these email alerts from being sent while BPS Pro is deactivated, delete this file: /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-pro-mu-tools.php. The bps-pro-mu-tools.php file will be automatically created again once BPS Pro is activated again.”

BPS appears to be working normally on all the sites sending me this email. Can you suggest how I can stop these error messages?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Steve Lubetkin – You can ignore the email alert.  We need to exclude the BPS plugin upgrade process from being checked.  That will be fixed in the next BPS version.

Jo Huey
    Participant

Hi

I have been trying to update my BPS Pro that an IT installed but it isn’t working, the manual option doesn’t work either. Any ideas? I’m not completely IT stupid but this isn’t something I’ve done before. Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jo Huey – Please describe the problem in exact details.  Example:  When I try to use the BPS Pro Built-in Upload Zip Installer X happens or does not happen or I see Y error message.  Note:  BPS Pro should only be manually upgraded by uploading a new /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder using FTP folder if something is breaking the WordPress Plugin Upload zip installer or the BPS Pro Built-in Upload Zip Installer.  Recently we have seen several cases where new versions of cPanel come with Mod Security, which breaks the WordPress Plugin Upload zip installer and the BPS Pro Built-in Upload Zip Installer – the zip upload starts uploading, but when the zip upload reaches 100% the zip upload is prevented by Mod Security and you will be redirected to a 404 error page (or see a 404 error).  If you have Mod Security enabled in your web host control panel then disable Mod Security and try to upgrade BPS Pro again using the BPS Pro Built-in Upload Zip Installer.

Jo Huey
    Participant

Thanks all.

OK so that is a little above me.
    I literally click on installed plugins, click update now. It then says Update Failed. Plugin update failed.
    I have no idea how to navigate to where the Mod security is. I didn’t install this.
    My website is extremely slow and I’m not sure if this is having an impact with this software.

Thanks

Jo

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jo Huey – Possible causes of the WordPress “Update Failed. Plugin update failed.” error.

The WP-Cron Control plugin and the Monarch plugin (made by Elegant Themes) cause the “Update Failed. Plugin update failed.” error when trying to update plugins or themes and there may be other plugins that do that as well.  Try deactivating all of your other plugins and then update/upgrade BPS Pro and/or other plugins.

You could have some sort of connectivity/communication problem with your host server to the WP API server. So you want to check things like your wp-config.php file to make sure you are not blocking communication to the WP API server with any code in your wp-config.php file. Since you are experiencing slowness problems with your website/server then whatever is causing the slowness problems with your website/server could very likely also be causing the problem with your connectivity/communcation with the WP API server.  Contact your web host tech support folks and ask them to check your server log files for any clues to what is causing the server slowness problems.

Jo Huey
    Participant

Hi

I deactivated all plugins and the update worked.
    I need the plugins I have…which are alot.
    I’m not technical enough to do the other part suggested but glad this worked.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jo Huey – Activate all of your plugins again.  If you also deactivated the BPS Pro when you deactivated all of your plugins then go to the BPS Pro Setup Wizard page and run the Pre-Installation Wizard and the Setup Wizard again.

Go the BPS Pro System Info page and get the list of plugins that you have installed:  The BPS Pro System Info page menu link is located under the BPS Pro Logs & Info menu.  The BPS free plugin System Info page menu link is located in the BPS Security menu.  Click the “Get Plugins List” button on the BPS System Info page to get the list of all the plugins you have installed on your website and copy and paste that list in your forum reply.  One or more of the plugins you have installed are breaking WordPress plugin update/install API server communication.

Jo Huey
    Participant

Hi

I did the preinstallation which worked fine.
    Then did the setup and got a internal server error…slightly worrying. I’m just trying to do what I can myself but its so stressful.
    Thank you so much for helping.

I cant do the setup now.
    Ive contacted my lady that sorts my hosting with 123 reg and not heard back and that was a few days ago.

Jo

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jo Huey – Go to the Setup Wizard Options tab page > cURL Scan Option: > select cURL Scan Off > click the Save cURL|DB Monitor Options button.  Go to the Setup Wizard tab page > click the Setup Wizard button.

Also I need to see the list of plugins you have installed.  So get that list on the BPS System Info page and post that list in your forum reply.

hmm 3 days and no response from your web host support folks???  Maybe consider getting a new reputable web host. You should always call web host support since they have to work with you right then and there.  Sending emails to web host support will always take much longer to get a response back from them.

Jo Huey
    Participant

Ok so deactivated all plugins. Ran the pre install and setup worked this time. Struggling to get to list of plugins with your instructions.
    I have bps pro on side menu
    Logs and info
    Setup
    There is no security menu. Just security log.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jo Huey – The BPS Pro System Info page is here > Logs & Info menu > System Info.

Jo Huey
    Participant

Ok how do I attach the image as there is no add media button or anything!
    I did control + print screen but I can’t paste in here..

I have just copied the text

Anti-spam 4.3 – Deactivated: anti-spam/anti-spam.php
    BulletProof Security Pro 12.9.1 – Activated: bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php
    Contact Form 7 4.8 – Deactivated: contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php
    Download Now – WooCommerce 2.4.4 – Deactivated: download-now-for-woocommerce/som-woocommerce-download-now.php
    Insert Headers and Footers 1.4.2 – Deactivated: insert-headers-and-footers/ihaf.php
    LearnDash LMS 2.4.4 – Deactivated: sfwd-lms/sfwd_lms.php
    LearnDash WooCommerce Integration 1.4.0 – Deactivated: learndash_woocommerce/learndash_woocommerce.php
    MailChimp 1.5.7 – Deactivated: mailchimp/mailchimp.php
    Meta Slider 3.5.1 – Deactivated: ml-slider/ml-slider.php
    Page Builder by SiteOrigin 2.5.4 – Deactivated: siteorigin-panels/siteorigin-panels.php
    Recent Posts Widget Extended 0.9.9.6 – Deactivated: recent-posts-widget-extended/rpwe.php
    SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle 1.9.1 – Deactivated: so-widgets-bundle/so-widgets-bundle.php
    Uncanny LearnDash Toolkit 2.0.5 – Deactivated: uncanny-learndash-toolkit/uncanny-learndash-toolkit.php
    WooCommerce 3.0.7 – Deactivated: woocommerce/woocommerce.php
    WooCommerce Stripe Gateway 3.1.9 – Deactivated: woocommerce-gateway-stripe/woocommerce-gateway-stripe.php
    WP-Cron Control 0.7.1 – Deactivated: wp-cron-control/wp-cron-control.php
    WP Crontrol 1.5 – Deactivated: wp-crontrol/wp-crontrol.php
    WP Hide Post 1.2.2 – Deactivated: wp-hide-post/wp-hide-post.php
    Yoast SEO 4.8 – Activated: wordpress-seo/wp-seo.php

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Jo Huey – You have the WP-Cron Control plugin installed:  WP-Cron Control 0.7.1 – Deactivated: wp-cron-control/wp-cron-control.php, which is known to break the WordPress plugin and theme update/install API server.  So that means whenever you want to update or install any plugins or themes you will need to deactivate the WP-Cron Control plugin in order to be able to update or install any plugins or themes.  If you would like for the WP-Cron Control plugin author to fix this problem/bug in the WP-Cron Control plugin then post a support forum topic in the WP-Cron Control plugin forum support area:  https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-cron-control/#new-post

Jo Huey
    Participant

Ok thanks
    I have only got bps plugin and 2 others activated just to test and its still very slow. Was quicker before before I did the bps setup.
    I didn’t install the wp cron it was already there when I setup the wp site. Do I need it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.