Bitnami LAMP stack

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Bitnami LAMP stack

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

I did that. Please just explain me next. Auto lock normally should be Off, right? Should I for next server to try to install first BPS and just after it other plugins, or should be the same what order I choose?

P.S. – We will see what’s going on tomorrow, as now I will go offline (end of day here).

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

AutoLock should normally be On and the root htaccess file should be locked.  When you run the Setup Wizard the Wizard checks if the root htaccess file is locked or if it can be locked.  If the Setup Wizard cannot tell if the root htaccess file should be locked it will NOT be locked by the Setup Wizard.  So you will need to lock it and turn On AutoLock.

It does not matter when you install BPS.  You can install it before or after other plugins.  There is a very common problem that has been occurring for 10 years now where plugins and themes use the WordPress flush_rewrite_rules() function incorrectly, which causes the root htaccess file to be repeatedly quarantined.  The problem could be something else, but that problem is very, very common.  So you want to eliminate that is the cause of the problem by locking the root htaccess file.

Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

OK, initial issue is solved, but I found how BPS will have issue with Bitnami. I guess how origin of issues are different file structures, but let me to try to explain.

First, I found issue with post installation settings (most related to performances and other structural settings). There was a lot of problems in structure what I used. I get best results in structure with Fast Velocity Minify (100/100), than with WP Super Cache (100/98) and just than with W3 Total Cache. In relation how BPS react on plugins and cache changes, I found that most convinient solution  should be W3 Total Cache (irrelevant to explain here) and that will be just fine, but ….

For security and performance reasons, Bitnami disabled .htaccess by default for the Bitnami apps. http://wiki.bitnami.com/Components/Apache/htaccess_configuration

Example to create a new file with W3C configuration in the “wordpress/conf” folder and include it in the configuration. Try to create a new file called “htaccess.conf” with the W3C configuration that you posted and add the following line at the end of the “/opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/conf/http-app.conf” file:

Include "/opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/conf/htaccess.conf"

Above path is for WordPress stack. In case of LAMP stack with WordPress module, it is

Include "/opt/bitnami/apps/myapplication/conf/htaccess.conf"

It means that BPS protection of native .htaccess is complete useless (not exactly, but …). So, as there is some other issues with Bitnami and W3 Total Cache (support is opened, irrelevant for here), lets first to wait that I finish most possible effective settings (as there are some other modules to be installed also in server (memcache, etc) and than I will activate BPS to see how it will react at the end. I guess, day or two and all will be clear.

In meantime, maybe to think how to extend BPS support for Bitnami with its own file structure?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You should also take a look at this Bitnami WordPress Apache configuration help page > https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/configuration/enable-modules/

Enabling the mod_ldap Module is very similar to XAMPP and WAMP, but these things are already done by default in XAMPP and WAMP. It seems like Bitnami has a more generalized package so that it works in a wide variety of environments and configurations, which of course means that the end user must take the time to read all Bitnami setup and help information for their particular Bitnami usage environment. So since that is the case with Bitnami then the best we could hope to do for the end user would be to point them in the right direction to get Bitnami setup in a WordPress end user environment.  Once Bitnami is completely setup and configured for a WordPress environment then I assume that BPS will work normally without any additional setup or configuration changes being required or necessary.

Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

Yeap, that was the point of my reply, to wait to be fixed issues with Bitnami and then to see how it works with BPS. So, it is not just  ldap module (BTW – enabled by default), issue is that W3C not recognize neither one of enabled and needed modules. Ticket is opened on Bitnami Support and when it will be solved, I can go back to set all and see how it will work.

However, I’m somehow pretty much sure how your instructions with the copy of W3C code to BPS Custom Code section will not work. I cannot claim it now, but as it not works for me with your ‘boost’ codes (100% positive), it will certainly not working also for W3C code, but … to wait (I suggest).

Bitnami Support topic is https://community.bitnami.com/t/w3-total-cache-compatibility-check/67264

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You don’t need to manually copy the W3TC htaccess code to BPS Root Custom Code anymore.  The BPS Pro Setup Wizard will automatically add the W3TC htaccess code to BPS Root Custom Code > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/setup-wizard-autofix/. Note: If you are using W3TC Browser cache htaccess code the don’t also add/use the BPS Speed Boost Browser cache htaccess code since that would be redundant.

Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

It is some misunderstanding here.

A) I’m not using redundant ‘hosting’ codes. I tried it without caching plugin.

B) Now you confuse me as there is in BPS still fields for it. Whatever (irrelevant).

C) it is simply fact that with Custom Code or without such code (as you now exposed), there is ZERO improvements in optimization (cca 70/50 is state). Same Bitnami installation with full set of optimization settings is 90+ (up to 100/100) and without BPS. Installing BPS will not change it – question is what going on during time (activities). When I tried to install and activate BPS, it again started to alarm me as ‘crazy’, but it is for now IRRELEVANT as there was not all settings properly done. I simply didn’t want to waste time until I will not get ALL Bitnami ISSUES FIXED (with W3C issues).

After that, we will see how BPS will react. I think how it is proper way how to do it.

I just posted you note to will be nice to think about potentially need to add Bitnami Support, as I’m pretty much sure how there will be problems regarding different files structure. But, as I wrote, I’m not exactly sure in that.

EXAMPLE

I simply don’t know (now) how your Auto setup/cleanup will work with W3C when it is simply not anymore on .htaccess injected (on Bitnami). I guess that Bitnami redirects will work, but I simply don’t know (now).

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

Sorry, I made mistake about LDAP (it is disabled by default). But, do you say how BPS need it for proper working?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

hmm I guess we are having a misunderstanding about things.  Basically once you setup your Bitnami LAMP environment for WordPress then everything should also work in BPS.  You need to allow htaccess files and htaccess rewriting for WordPress itself and BPS of course.  I’m not really sure if you need LDAP enabled for LAMP.  You do need LDAP to be enabled for XAMPP and WAMP.  I have never setup a Bitnami LAMP environment and no one has asked me about a Bitnami LAMP environment setup before.  Sorry I can’t offer you more help on setting up your WordPress environment for a Bitnami LAMP configuration.

Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

Well, LAMP is default choice for Google Cloud Launchpad and Amazon Web Services, but irrelevant. I just confirmed that you was right about LDAP (link what you attached), as I check it also in production. So, obviously, WordPress don’t need it by itself to work correctly (never used in 5 years and over hundred servers). My question was related to BPS – should I have it to get it to work correctly (sorry for my English, as I know that sometimes I confuse people)?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I’m not really sure.  The only thing I am sure about is you need to enable htaccess files and htaccess rewriting for BPS.

Ljubomir Manojlovic
    Participant

Finally I set one server. However, now I have (after BPS activation and settings) warning by W3TC ‘The required directives for fancy permalinks could not be detected, please confirm they are available:’. It looks how it lost connection with code removed by BPS or ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can ignore the W3TC error.  It is not correct.  BPS incorporates the WordPress Rewrite htaccess code into the BPS root htaccess file.  W3TC is checking for an exact match to the generic/default WordPress Rewrite htaccess code.  BPS modifies the generic/default WordPress Rewrite htaccess code when it incorporates it into your root htaccess file.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.