Unable to activate BulletProof Security Pro – 404 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Unable to activate BulletProof Security Pro – 404 error

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ALEX KIBET MUHINDI
    Participant

I am trying to upload the BPSpro plugin but I am receiving error 404 page not found.I have deactivated existing security plugins and still won’t work.Please help

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If you are seeing a 404 error when trying to activate the BPS Pro plugin then most likely the problem would be that the BPS Pro plugin folder is not named correctly:  /bulletproof-security/.  Delete the BPS Pro plugin folder that you uploaded to your website and then see the BulletProof Security Pro Installation, Activation & Setup Wizard Video Tutorial for how to install BPS Pro: https://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#setup-wizard

If you would like for us to install and setup BPS Pro on your website, we do offer to setup BPS Pro for free on 1 website.

ALEX KIBET MUHINDI
    Participant

I would like you to install BPS Pro on my site
    http://www.ndoleta.com

Regards,
    Alex

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

When I try to install the BPS Pro zip file using the WordPress Plugin Upload zip installer on your website something is blocking the BPS Pro installation and I am bounced out of the backend of the website and see a 404 error message.

Update:  Ok I figured out the cause of the problem.  I logged into your cPanel and Mod Security was enabled.  I disabled Mod Security and was successfully able to use the WordPress Plugin Upload zip installer to install the BPS Pro zip file.

I recommend that you leave Mod Security disabled on your hosting account.  The reason for that is this:  Mod Security uses self created SecFilters and SecRules that are very similar to BPS htaccess security rules, but the problem with using Mod Security is that you have no control over the individual SecFilters and SecRules created by your web host.  ie there is no whitelisting capability for Mod Security that you can access.  Only your web host can access Mod Security to change SecFilters and SecRules.  Note:  The default Mod Security SecRules and SecFilters do not cause this problem.  So additional SecRules and SecFilters that were added/created by your web host are causing this problem.  BPS htaccess security rules provide the same security rules as Mod Security and without breaking your WordPress website standard/normal functionality.  So I highly recommend that you keep Mod Security disabled in your web host cPanel settings.

Additional Notes:  web host is Hetzner: https://www.hetzner.de/

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro installation, setup and problems/solutions – Hetzner Hosting
    ###################################################

Important Recommendation: Please take a few minutes to read the top 4 paragraphs on the AutoRestore|Quarantine Guide (ARQ IDPS) Forum Topic to get a general idea about how ARQ IDPS works. ARQ IDPS is a very unique security feature and nothing like it exists in any other WordPress security plugins.

Problem: The WordPress Plugin Upload zip installer is being blocked on this website
    ####################################################################################

Solution: Disabled Mod Security in cPanel.

Problem: Pre-Installation Wizard 500 error site crash
    #####################################################

Solution: set the Setup Wizard Option: cURL Scan Option to: cURL Scan Off

Problem: BPS Plugin pages are not displaying visually correct
    #############################################################
    Cause: one or more of the other plugins you have installed is loading its CSS scripts in BPS Pro plugin pages and breaking BPS Pro plugin pages visually.
    Solution: None. I tried enabling the BPS Pro > Script|Style Loader Filter (SLF) option setting, but it caused BPS Pro plugin pages to load extremely slowly due to BPS Pro having to work overtime to block other plugin scripts from breaking BPS Pro plugin pages. You can of course choose not to use the plugin that is causing this problem or just live with that fact that another of your plugins is causing this BPS Pro plugin page visual problem.

Plugin Firewall setup and problem on your particular server
    ##########################################################

Since your particular server does not allow Setup Wizard cURL Scanning. I enabled Plugin Firewall Test Mode and checked all of your website pages/URLs, which will automatically create new Plugin Firewall whitelist rules while PFW Test Mode is turned On. Note: Plugin Firewall AutoPilot Mode will continue to automatically any new Plugin Firewall whitelist rules that are needed in the future. ie installing a new plugin, etc.

Problem: Your particular host server is overriding BPS Security Logging and not allowing BPS to log Security Log entries.
    The BPS Pro Plugin Firewall requires that BPS Security Logging is turned On and works on a host server.
    Solution: Unfortunately, you cannot use the BPS Pro Plugin Firewall feature on your particular host server. So I have deactivated/Turned Off the Plugin Firewall.

Problem unrelated to or caused by BPS Pro: A PHP error is being logged for your WooCommerce plugin
    ##################################################################################################

[25-May-2017 16:50:41 UTC] The get_product function is deprecated since version 3.0. Replace with wc_get_product.

Solution: Contact the WooCommerce plugin author to have the plugin author fix this issue. These are not critical php errors and can be ignored until WooCommerce fixes this issue.

Used the BPS Pro > String|Function Finder Pro-Tool to search for the plugin that is causing this php error.
    ####################################################

Search Results: These php errors are being caused by WooCommerce
    ####################################################

/home/ndoletac/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/legacy/abstract-wc-legacy-order.php, line 321
    $product = $item->get_product();

/home/ndoletac/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/emails/email-order-items.php, line 27

/home/ndoletac/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/emails/plain/email-order-items.php, line 25
    Didier Ludwig
    Participant

I had the same issue by not being able to activate BPS Pro and could finally resolve it.

Had BPS installed before, deactivated and deleted it, and then installed BPS Pro through the upload of a zip with the newest version. Worked so far, but when I clicked “Activate”, just nothing happened. Then I found this thread here and also deactivated Mod Security in the cPanel for that domain. Still, there was no reaction when I tried to activate it.

Then I had seen in my ftp client that the name of the plugin’s folder is “bulletproof-security-1”. This problably happened because there was the free BPS version installed before or just because of a site cache issue or something alike. I renamed it to “bulletproof-security” and everything worked well.

Just thought this might be of interest for other users .

Didier

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.