GDMW – Go Daddy Managed WordPress Hosting

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro GDMW – Go Daddy Managed WordPress Hosting

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Unfortunately, your only option is to not use AutoRestore on GDMW hosting since they do not allow you to control WordPress updates/upgrades.  Since GDMW hosting is a managed and controlled hosting environment then you should probably just let GDMW hosting manage and control everything.

Hannah
    Participant

Got it, thanks so much!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – We are currently working on new AutoRestore Automation code for remote installation plugins like ManageWP, InfinteWP, etc.  So we will also try to figure out something for hosts that automatically install WordPress upgrades and/or do not allow WordPress Automatic Updates.  We are in the very early stages of figuring out the best way to go about doing this.  The method that we believe will work is to create a custom class in BPS Pro for AutoRestore Automation, which can be defined by adding class constant code in the wp-config.php file.  define( 'BPSPRO_REMOTE_ARQ_AUTOMATION', true );  The hard part is going to be trying to figure out what to “listen” for.  AutoRestore Automation currently only listens to the WordPress API server or to User actions, such as clicking buttons or links.  This is a work in progress and will take a significant amount of time to figure out.

Hannah
    Participant

I can only imagine how complex a task this is! But I’m really happy to hear it’s a work in progress. I manage too many sites to be able to log in and update things directly on every site every time, so aside from core updates, I use WP Remote to update all my BPS free sites. On the BPS Pro Pro sites I MUST log in to each one to update, so I usually wait few days for multiple updates to come in before applying them to save time.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Well actually since WordPress now has a very good REST API, we can probably just create custom routes and endpoints for remote communication with AutoRestore Automation code.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – These are testing results for ManageWP and AutoRestore Automation below. I assume other remote plugins like WP Remote will have the same or similar results. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done for WP Core updates installed by a web host.

BPS Pro AutoRestore Automation and ManagWP compatibility testing results:

As it turns out Plugin and Theme installations/updates from ManageWP already work seamlessly with AutoRestore Automation and no additional steps are required. I believe the changes that were made in BPS Pro 12+ version series with the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters got everything working fine together.  For WP Core updates, AutoRestore Automation uses AJAX trigger functions instead of using the WP upgrader_pre_install and upgrader_post_install filters. So if someone wants to upgrade WordPress remotely using ManageWP then they would need to do these steps below:

1. Use the ManageWP Open WP Dashboard feature to connect to your WordPress Dashboard.
    2. Update WordPress from the WP Dashboard. AutoRestore Automation will automatically turn Off AutoRestore, backup files and turn AutoRestore back On.

Or

1. Use the ManageWP Open WP Dashboard feature to connect to your WordPress Dashboard.
    2. Turn AutoRestore Off.
    3. Update WordPress from the Manage WP Dashboard.
    4. Run the BPS Pro Setup Wizard.

Note:  Enabling WordPress Automatic Updates will automatically install any/all new versions of WordPress when they are available.  So manually updating WordPress either from your WP Dashboard or from the remote ManageWP Dashboard is not really necessary.

Hannah
    Participant

This is great to know! Thank you so much for this update. On the core updates, I’ve found that many hosts do have a setting where we can turn off autoupdates, so I turn them off whenever possible for sites with BPS Pro installed. So it appears it’s just the GDMW core update policy that makes me need to closely watch the one BPS Pro site with this type of hosting that I manage.

Living Miracles
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    Hi,

On my GoDaddy Managed WordPress sites, I originally set the root .htaccess and wp-config.php files to be locked. Recently, I noticed that those settings went back to “Checking & Alerts off”. Can you tell my what could cause this to happen?

Thank you!
    Jutta

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Living Miracles – Either you changed the settings or GDMW hosting changed the file permissions automatically and you reran the Setup Wizard at some point and the Setup Wizard used your current file permissions.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Interesting. Ok, I’ll just have to keep an eye on this. Thanks!

Hannah
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    I updated BPS Pro on the 15 sites where I have it installed today, and all went fine except for two sites. One did not respond to the Force Plugin Update check. I’m not too worried about that, I’m sure it will become available soon. But the other went down before I even got BPS Pro updated, and it seems to be connected with the htaccess file. It was working fine until I updated the theme, and then the site crashed with a 500 internal server error, and though I’ve done all the usual things to get it back up, the best I’ve been able to accomplish is a few seconds of it being up, then down she goes again. This site has caching and SSL provisioned by Cloudflare, and I have Cloudflare paused for the moment. To make things even more interesting, the site is hosted on GDMW hosting. I called them today and they also felt it had to do with htaccess, but were unable to do anything with it. I have manually uploaded the theme update, both the the Autorestore and themes directories. I cannot log in to admin at this time, so I have to do everything via FTP. The site is lindaabblettwatercolors.com Any chance you can give me a hand with this one? I seem to have run out of options. You’ll probably want to see the htaccess file first, so I will send it to you shortly. Thanks so much.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – I looked at the autorestore log you sent to me and it does not look like WordPress core files or Theme files were quarantined, but BPS Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine no longer works on GDMW hosting for 2 reasons: GDMW hosting overrides WordPress standard Crons with GDMW direct Crons and GDMW hosting handles all WordPress upgrades and does not allow you to control that. So you cannot use AutoRestore|Quarantine on GDMW hosting and need to turn ARQ off and also choose this option setting: ARQ Cron Override On|Off > choose ARQ Cron Override On.

The root htaccess file you sent to me looks fine and does not contain any problems.  During BPS Pro upgrades we typically only change the BPS Pro htaccess file version number.  Some BPS Pro upgrades do make changes to the htaccess files if any changes are necessary to BPS standard htaccess file code and no changes were done in BPS Pro 12.8.

Anyway the problem you are describing is that theme files were quarantined.  So even though your autorestore log does not show that is the problem that occurred, these are the new steps for BPS Pro 12.8+ versions to fix quarantined file problems:   https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/

Alex Morco
    Participant

Using shared hosting as a managed makes difficulties. because the top cloud providers are not available on many managed hosting providers like AWS, DO, GCE, and more. The reason for choosing specially managed WordPress hosting that offers many cloud providers and have everything managed because the shared providers don’t have an advance dashboard. That’s why I have moved from a shared provider to Cloudways managed hosting.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.