Installed Pro – now have WP Dashboard Admin issues/problems

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Installed Pro – now have WP Dashboard Admin issues/problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HighlanderICT
    Participant

I had BPS Free for a while and just purchased, downloaded and installed PRO
    I was following all the various alert messages on screen to setup the program and config each area, but now my admin account seems to have lost all permission to adjust settings …. my plugin list is empty (although they are still on server), my nextgen gallery pages and category pages dont load (404 – presumably due to htaccess) , and I basically cant do anything to reverse it as I cant see BPS in the dashboard …..
    I deleted the htaccess files, but that makes no difference. I checked users list and I am still an admin – any ideas ?

WP is up to date 3.4.2 and theme is Suffusion. BPS is current version downloaded within the last couple of hours.

HighlanderICT
    Participant

I should also note that many images are gone from my galleries and other files seem moved …. and it appears the quarantine folder has those 3655 files in it ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

What does “my plugin list is empty” mean exactly?  When you say you can’t see BPS in the dashboard what exactly does that mean?  Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This is a very old forum topic:
    Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

Ah ok now i think i understand what has happened.  Did you click the 4 Backup Files buttons on the AutoRestore page before turning AutoRestore/Quarantine on?

ARQ is a real time file monitor.

When updating plugins, installing new plugins, deleting plugins or updating, installing and deleting Themes you need to follow these simple procedural steps for ARQ.

1. Turn off ARQ2. Install / update plugins or Themes3. Click the 4 Backup Files buttons4. Turn ARQ back On.

Also ARQ may require some one time calibrations when you first set it up depending on what plugins you have installed.  The ARQ Guide shows some examples of how to calibrate ARQ to exclude looking at certain folders or files.

http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/4204/bulletproof-security-pro/arq-infinity-guide-full-website-autorestore-and-full-website-quarantine/

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Are you able to go to the Quarantine page to restore your files?

HighlanderICT
    Participant

No. Can’t get to BPS in admin, the link for it (and others) has disappeared !!  is there a way to revert manually? Eg. Moving files back and removing Db tables via phpmyadmin ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

ARQ only monitors your website files so yes you could just restore your website files from a backup.  You would not need to restore your database since ARQ does not monitor your database.

HighlanderICT
    Participant

OK, got everything back (eventually) …. I was able to re-upload the BPS plugin files, then disable ARQ so I could get to the quarantine page.

After that I had to restore the (3600+) files it had quarantined in batches as clicking the “select all” checkbox did not seem to work … it allowed me to check the boxes but when the page reloaded, nothing was ever restored …. instead I did it about 100 files at a time and it seemed happy with that and displayed the message that each file was restored ! About 2200 of the 3600+ files were images so I restored them to their original folders via FTP as I had a local copy handy and didnt fancy clicking 2200 boxes individually on the restore screen!

After restoring all the non-image files via quarantine page and the images via FTP, I was left with the 2200 image files still in quarantine. I attempted to delete all using the “select all” checkbox but again, this didnt work for me so i left them alone in quarantine and on the list and moved onto the next step.

After restoring the files, I uninstalled the plugin and deleted all BPS folders (including quarantine) as well as the BPS tables from the Db so that it was pretty much the way it was before BPS Pro …. everything now works the way it did before and I have now backed up everything in its current state using Xcloner in case it happens again when I re-install so I can restore more easily !!!

Obviously I did do something in the wrong order to encounter this issue, but I simply followed the prompts in WP Admin at the top of the page ….. I wasnt able to watch the videos prior to install as I was (and still am) behind a firewall that doesn’t allow video files to be played on the network. Is there PDF or other documentation available to help make sure I dont screw it up again ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

First off I apologize for all the hoops you had to jump through to get back to square 1.  This file restore process typically only takes me 10 minutes when i use my Web Host Control Panel File Manager restore option.  I did a lot of website file restores back in the original testing of the ARQ Prototype 8 months ago or so.  😉

I will do further testing with deleting an extremely large number of files from Quarantine at one time using the Select All checkbox option.  I would probably need to chunk this process if there is a file delete limitation based on total number of files that i am not aware of.  what i have seen occur is that prevents the Select All checkbox option from deleting all files at once is if the file name is named something unusual with characters that are not interpreted correctly with UTF-8 and also files named without a file extension can be problematic.  At the bare minimum i will add some kind of check that will pinpoint the exact problem when doing a Select All mass file deletion:  ie “File name X cannot be deleted for Y reason.  Do Z this”.

I have zipped the mp4 BPS Pro 5 Minute Setup Video Tutorial and uploaded it here so that you can download it >>>  http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/videos/quick-install/bps-pro-quick-setup.zip

What i recommend that you do FIRST regarding AutoRestore is to calibrate ARQ and exclude the image folder from being checked by ARQ so that your image files are not quarantined again after you have clicked the 4 AutoRestore Backup Files buttons and turned ARQ On.  Make absolutely sure that you have entered the correct exclude path to the image files correctly by looking at the CORRECT example paths below, if the path is wrong then the image files will get quarantined again.  ;(

Exclude wp-content Folders – Specific Examples and What to Do to Calibrate ARQ Infinity

Examples of CORRECT Paths to Exclude: These folder paths are CORRECT because they are not full website paths to these folders and they do not contain /wp-content in the path and they do not start or end with forward slashes. If you have a backup plugin that is creating dynamically named backup files you can also use this option to exclude the backups folder from being checked.

CORRECT: plugins/example-plugin/captcha/tempCORRECT: themes/example-theme/cacheCORRECT: themes/example-theme/imagesCORRECT: example-plugins-backup-folder-name/backups (this is assuming that the example plugin’s backup folder is in the wp-content folder and it has a subfolder called “backups” inside of the “example-plugins-backup-folder-name” folder.

Steps To Excluding Dynamic Folders From Being Checked by ARQ Infinity1. Enter the folder path that you want to exclude in one of the Excluded Temp/Cache Folder Path empty text boxes.2. Enter a Label or Description.3. Click the 1. Save To DB button.4. Click the 2. Create Filter button.5. Click the 3. Exclude Folders Now button.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.