Installing W3 Total Cache with BulletProof Security Pro

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Installing W3 Total Cache with BulletProof Security Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You should never have to change folder permissions to 777.  755 permissions are sufficient for allowing writing.  Yes. Unlock your root and wp-config.php files.

jenni101
    Participant

Well, I’ve tried to run through the proceedures for deactivating and reactivating W3TC, but it left in code in my htaccess. So I uninstalled W#TC and deleted all the code i could find for it in the current htaccess and my custom code file. All looked sweet unti;l i tried to reinstall W#TC and now i can’t access the wp plugin directory through the new plugins option (says there’s a possible server config error) and although I can access the plugins directory itself at wordpress.org, but when I try to login there ( at https://wordpress.org/support/bb-login.php) I get a 502 Bad Gateway message with ‘nginx’ under it.

So I think I’ve totally screwed something up big time and would very much appreciate your offer of direct help! I’ll email you the login info now.

Many thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

W3TC is not easy to setup if you are doing anything more than using the default W3TC settings, even without BPS Pro in the equation.  We had a lot of ongoing problems when we were using W3TC so we finally bailed on using W3TC and instead created our own caching solution here:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/htaccess-caching-code-speed-boost-cache-code/

I will get W3TC working with the basic default settings, but cannot offer to setup any of the advanced things in W3TC since I never had any luck with getting them to work on any of our websites.  I think the plugin author offers to setup W3TC advanced settings/features for a fee.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

After logging in to your website, you had already done all the hard stuff correctly so all I had to do was to unlock your root htaccess file and your wp-config.php file, Turn Off AutoRestore, reinstall W3TC and activate it, copy the W3TC htaccess code to BPS Root Custom Code, save it and activate root folder BulletProof Mode again.  Then after turning AutoRestore back on the wp-config.php file was sent to Quarantine since W3TC wrote some code to your wp-config.php so I restored it from Quarantine and locked your root .htaccess file and wp-config.php file again.

jenni101
    Participant

WOW that was quick! Thank you so much – you make it sound super easy!

2 final Q’s:

1. Had i excluded the correct files and folders in the ARQ exclude bits?

2. If i reset my wp-content, wp-content/uploads, wp-content/plugins folders back to your recommended permissions of 705 in cPanel (from 755) presumeably i have to remember to change them back to 755 when I need to update the W3TC plugin in the future?

Many thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

1. Yes.  And that’s what I meant by the hard part.
    2. Yes, but don’t bother with changing the folder permissions. It is child’s play for even an average hacker to beat folder/file permissions. F-Lock is useful for a couple of reasons, but it is not really a security measure.

jenni101
    Participant

Thank you – sorted!

Chris Moon
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

Hi,

I’ve deleted W3 Total Cache now I’m getting a warning “W3 Total Cache is deactivated and W3TC htaccess code was found in your root htaccess file how do I manually remove this code from my htaccess file?

regards,
    Chris

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Chris Moon –
    1. Go to Custom Code and delete your W3TC cache code from this BPS Custom Code text box: CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE:
    2. Click the Save Root Custom Code button.
    3. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks so much

Chykalophia
    Participant

Hey,

When I previously posted on the forum one of the helpful techs really helped me out, a lot! Though he did mention that W3TC causes a lot of problems and it’s one of the reasons why you don’t use it here and instead did your own caching thing.

Sorry this ins’t a BPSpro directly related question, though what would you guys instead recommend for caching that works well with BPSpro and WP in general if W3TC is out of the question?

Thanks!

— PK

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

We do not use W3TC or WPSC (or any other caching plugins) because they do not work well with our web host and/or setup.  W3TC, WPSC or any other caching plugins may work fine on your host and/or setup.  We only use this Browser caching code here:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/htaccess-caching-code-speed-boost-cache-code/ and do not use any caching plugins.

armintz
    Participant

i have bp pro installed. trying to add w3 plugin. this process below seemed to work for a few minutes:

1. install w3, activate
    2. in wp admin > bps pro > click on “htaccess file editor” and click “unlock htaccess”
    3. reactivate w3 and and go to the w3 settings page and resave/redeploy settings.
    4. lock root htaccess again in bps pro and w3 error should go away.

but then after poking around my admin panel, the error message appears at the top again:

W3 Total Cache is activated, but W3TC htaccess code was NOT found in your root htaccess file.
    W3TC needs to be redeployed by clicking either the W3TC auto-install or deploy buttons. Your Root htaccess file must be temporarily unlocked so that W3TC can write to your Root htaccess file. Click to Redeploy W3TC.
    Turn Off AutoRestore before Redeploying W3TC. After Redeploying W3TC go to AutoRestore and click the 4 Backup Files buttons and then turn AutoRestore back On again. You can copy W3TC .htaccess code from your Root .htaccess file to BPS Custom Code to save it permanently so that you will not have to do these steps in the future.
    Copy W3TC .htaccess code to this BPS Custom Code text box: CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE, click the Save Root Custom Code button, go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – See the W3TC setup steps at the beginning of this forum topic.

armintz
    Participant

From the original post:
    8. Go to F-Lock and lock your Root .htaccess file and turn off checking for the wp-config.php file and instead leave it unlocked.
    Which one? Unlock wp-config.php File or Turn Off Checking & Alerts?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.