Setup Wizard Internal Server Error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Setup Wizard Internal Server Error

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Custard
    Participant

Hi Im trying to run the setup wizard after updating bulletproof, I press the pre installation wizard which takes about 2 minutes then shows an Internal Server Error Page, could you advise what I should do.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Most likely this is a memory limit or php.ini setting issue.  Go to the BPS Pro System Info page and post this information about your website:

PHP Version:
    PHP Memory Usage:
    WordPress Admin Memory Limit:
    WordPress Base Memory Limit:
    PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit:
    PHP Max Upload Size:
    PHP Max Post Size:
    PHP Safe Mode:
    PHP Allow URL fopen:
    PHP Allow URL Include:
    PHP Display Errors:
    PHP Display Startup Errors:
    PHP Expose PHP:
    PHP Register Globals:
    PHP MySQL Allow Persistent Connections:
    PHP Output Buffering:
    PHP Max Script Execution Time:
    PHP Magic Quotes GPC:
    PHP open_basedir:
    PHP XML Support:
    PHP IPTC Support:
    PHP Exif Support:

Custard
    Participant

PHP Version: 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.21
    PHP Memory Usage: 56.64 MB
    WordPress Admin Memory Limit: 256M
    WordPress Base Memory Limit: 96M
    PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit: 128M
    PHP Max Upload Size: 128M
    PHP Max Post Size: 128M
    PHP Safe Mode: Off
    PHP Allow URL fopen: On
    PHP Allow URL Include: Off
    PHP Display Errors: Off
    PHP Display Startup Errors: Off
    PHP Expose PHP: Off
    PHP Register Globals: Off
    PHP MySQL Allow Persistent Connections: On
    PHP Output Buffering:
    PHP Max Script Execution Time: 30 Seconds
    PHP Magic Quotes GPC: Off
    PHP open_basedir: Off/Not in use
    PHP XML Support: Yes
    PHP IPTC Support: Yes
    PHP Exif Support: Yes

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Your memory limit and php.ini settings look OK.  The next possibility would be that another plugin is interfering with the Setup Wizard by loading its scripts on the BPS Pro Setup Wizard page.  Deactivate all plugins and try and run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard again.

Geoff
    Participant

I am having a similar issue and wonder if you can help.  I have deactivated all plugins but still getting error.  Below is my PHP System Info:

PHP Version: 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.9
    PHP Memory Usage: 39.22 MB
    WordPress Admin Memory Limit: 256M
    WordPress Base Memory Limit: 40M
    PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit: 64M
    PHP Max Upload Size: 8M
    PHP Max Post Size: 8M
    PHP Safe Mode: Off
    PHP Allow URL fopen: On
    PHP Allow URL Include: Off
    PHP Display Errors: Off
    PHP Display Startup Errors: Off
    PHP Expose PHP: On
    PHP Register Globals: Off
    PHP MySQL Allow Persistent Connections: On
    PHP Output Buffering: 4096
    PHP Max Script Execution Time: 30 Seconds
    PHP Magic Quotes GPC: Off
    PHP open_basedir: Off/Not in use
    PHP XML Support: Yes
    PHP IPTC Support: Yes
    PHP Exif Support: Yes

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit is 64M, which is barely enough memory to run WordPress itself smoothly.  Contact your Host and have them increase your memory limit to 128M and then run the Wizards.  Let me know what happens after increasing your memory limit and running the Wizards.

Geoff
    Participant

I will have to work with my provider to upgrade that setting.

I was able to finally get those two scripts to complete with no errors when there was no load at 3am.  Was the set up wizard suppose to automatically Create secure.htaccess file?  When I try to use the Activate button to create it and then activate it, I get a fatal script error.  I then have to delete the htaccess file and upload the back up I have saved on my computer.

If it helps with my issue, I noticed I got the following error which leads me to believe I need to wait for the PHP Actual Config Memory increased to 128M and try the Auto Magic again as you recommended:

HTTP_REFERER: http://mydomain/wp-admin/admin.php?page=bulletproof-security/admin/options.php
    REQUEST_URI: /wp-content/bps-backup/test-mode/PFW-TestMode.php in the security log.

Thanks – Geoff

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Post the error.  It sounds like there are some issues with your Server itself, which can of course be worked out.

Geoff
    Participant

OK on running the Script again as provider just updated my php.ini file.  Fastest response ever.

Thank you for your email.  I’ve updated the “php.ini” file (in the “conf/”
    directory) to a “memory_limit” of 128M.

Received 500 script error.  Where do I find the specifics?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I was referring to this error:  “When I try to use the Activate button to create it and then activate it, I get a fatal script error.”

Go the BPS System Info page and check that your PHP memory limit is now 128M.  For 500 errors you can check your Server log for those, but hold off on checking your Sever log right now.

Geoff
    Participant

OK. Learned I actually have access to edit the php.ini file.  Settings now:

PHP Version: 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.9
    PHP Memory Usage: 39.25 MB
    WordPress Admin Memory Limit: 256M
    WordPress Base Memory Limit: 40M
    PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit: 128M
    PHP Max Upload Size: 8M
    PHP Max Post Size: 8M
    PHP Safe Mode: Off
    PHP Allow URL fopen: On
    PHP Allow URL Include: Off
    PHP Display Errors: Off
    PHP Display Startup Errors: Off
    PHP Expose PHP: On
    PHP Register Globals: Off
    PHP MySQL Allow Persistent Connections: On
    PHP Output Buffering: 4096
    PHP Max Script Execution Time: 30 Seconds
    PHP Magic Quotes GPC: Off
    PHP open_basedir: Off/Not in use
    PHP XML Support: Yes
    PHP IPTC Support: Yes
    PHP Exif Support: Yes

This may be the error for the 500 script error found in my error.log (changed my client to 11.11.11.111):

[Mon Feb 10 16:58:53 2014] [warn] [client 11.11.11.111] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 40 seconds, referer: http://mydomain.org/wp-admin/admin.php?page=bulletproof-security/admin/wizard/wizard.php
    [Mon Feb 10 16:58:53 2014] [warn] [client 11.11.11.111] (110)Connection timed out: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request_ipc function, referer: http://mydomain.org/wp-admin/admin.php?page=bulletproof-security/admin/wizard/wizard.php
    [Mon Feb 10 16:58:55 2014] [error] [client 66.249.73.66] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Everything looks ok.  What happens when click the Activate buttons?  Are you seeing errors?

Geoff
    Participant

Yes, the 500 Script error.  All plug ins turned off.  Nothing recorded as errors in BPS logs.

[Mon Feb 10 17:31:07 2014] [warn] [client 11.11.11.111] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 40 seconds, referer: http://mydomain.org/wp-admin/admin.php?page=bulletproof-security/admin/wizard/wizard.php
    [Mon Feb 10 17:31:07 2014] [warn] [client 11.11.11.111] (110)Connection timed out: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request_ipc function, referer: http://mydomain.org/wp-admin/admin.php?page=bulletproof-security/admin/wizard/wizard.php

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, I thought that might be the problem.  mod_fcgid, which is FastCGI, which is known to be problematic for WordPress and all PHP site types:  WordPress, Joomla, every other PHP site type on the Planet, is the cause of the 500 errors.  The good news is there is a solution, which allows you to keep using FastCGI instead of disabling it.

Have your Host go to the link below and add these Server configuration changes in the Server’s httpd.conf file.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/go-daddy-php5-3-php-ini-file-zendguard-loader/#post-12965

If your Host needs more information on what the problem is and why the Server config fix is necessary for this known issue.  Then send them this link, which has my research on this known problem.

http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/4349/misc-projects/wordpress-tips-tricks-fixes/php5-3-x-php5-4-x-user-ini-file-does-not-work-known-php5-3-x-user-ini-fastcgi-wordpress-zend-issue/

If for some reason your Host cannot correct this issue on their Server then you will need to disable FastCGI in your Control panel.  FastCGI 500 errors will occur intermittently/randomly on your website, unless the Server configuration changes have been made in the links that I posted above.

Geoff
    Participant

Looks like that did the trick as I received message from my host provider they added the Server configuration changes in the Server’s httpd.conf file.  I reran Wizards (two issues below and still having the time out issue) and finished complete install.

After I got through the installation process and all was working, I am still having an issue with Run Pre-Installation Wizard Scripts where it appears to time out after a minute and leaves a blank page.  If I reload the blank page, it finishes successfully and I can move onto Run Setup Wizard.

For the initial installation, I did have an issue with the .access file where section had the following I had to manual delete.  I had to quickly learn the Quarantine process as the .access file was giving 500 Script Errors and could not edit with the WP Backend.  FTPing the corrected .access file would trigger the Quarantine Process:

May have been result of the timing out issue mentioned above to not finish the .access file edits.

Thanks – Geoff

Following is the first entry  of the PHP Error Log when I reran the Wizard Scripts where looks like the connect to the MySQL server was lost:

[12-Feb-2014 15:35:01 UTC] WordPress database error Lost connection to MySQL server during query for query SELECT wp_posts.ID FROM wp_posts WHERE 1=1 AND wp_posts.post_parent = 2059 AND (wp_posts.post_mime_type LIKE 'image/%') AND wp_posts.post_type = 'attachment' AND (wp_posts.post_status = 'inherit') ORDER BY wp_posts.post_date DESC LIMIT 0, 5 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), include('/themes/genesis/single.php'), genesis, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once('/themes/genesis/header.php'), wp_head, do_action('wp_head'), call_user_func_array, jetpack_og_tags, jetpack_og_get_image, Jetpack_PostImages::get_images, Jetpack_PostImages::from_attachment, get_posts, WP_Query->query, WP_Query->get_posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.