Is there a way to disable update checks?

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Is there a way to disable update checks?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    protection
    Participant

Today I noticed a big lag within the admin section of my site. When taking a look through the Query Monitor plugin, it looks like it’s due to BPS Pro looking for plugin updates (see here). Is there a way to disable this?

protection
    Participant

Update: This seems to be a conflict with BPS Pro version 17 and WP All Import Pro version 4.7.8. When I have either plugin disabled, everything works fine. When they’re both running, my admin section hangs.

protection
    Participant

Sorry, I was mistaken. It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the WP All Import plugin. I disabled ALL of my plugins and I’m still getting messages within Query monitor for the API calls. Is there a problem with making API calls to https://api.ait-pro.com/?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The cURL error you posted means that the API connection was tried for 5 seconds before it timed out.  It looks like something is blocking the API connection, but the request itself uses very little resources and would not cause any slowness

I’m not seeing any slowness in this forum site’s wp-admin dashboard area.  The Query Monitor plugin is a very handy plugin.  I use it myself on my Development sites for testing, but not on Production/Live for obvious reasons since it will cause a bit of slowness. API calls to the api.ait-pro.com server use very little resources normally.  If something is trying to block the API server calls then that could of course cause some slowness.  A common known problem for wp-admin dashboard area slowness would be if you are using a caching plugin like Cloudflare and you are caching your wp-admin dashboard.  Ironic, but a very common problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I checked your website and you are running PHP 7.4.33. If you want a significant speed boost switch your PHP server to 8.0 or 8.1

date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 00:56:48 GMT
    server: Apache
    x-powered-by: PHP/7.4.33
    expires: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:11:11GMT
    cache-control: Array
    upgrade: h2,h2c
    last-modified: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 23:11:11 GMT
    vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
    content-encoding: gzip
    pragma: no-cache
    content-length: 12554
    content-type: text/html;charset=UTF-8
    protection
    Participant

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. I do not have anything caching the admin section (when I’m logged in), so I don’t think that would be a problem. And like I mentioned above, I tried this with all plugins disabled (other than BPS), but the problem still persisted.

I’ve been wanting to update my PHP version to 8 or 8.1, but there are still BPS warnings that are being thrown when I do that. I do remember mentioning this to you in a different thread a while back. When I upgraded my PHP version right now, I received the following:

PHP Warning: Undefined array key "bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php" in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php on line 218

Any ideas?

Thanks 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Try deactivating the BPS Pro plugin too and see if the problem is still occurring.  Also delete your Browser cache.  If you are using a Proxy or VPN then use a regular Browser instead.  That php error is the BPS Pro plugin update checking code, which tries to communicate with the API server.  The error means the API server is not reachable.  Most likely something is blocking the API communication.  Maybe your web host firewall is blocking that.  In any case all that means is you will not get BPS Pro upgrade notifications on your WordPress Plugins page.

protection
    Participant

Hello –

When I deactivated BPS pro I didn’t get any of the PHP warnings.

I do not have a firewall with my web host. What’s strange is that now I’m able to access the plugins page without any delays, but any of the BPS pages are very slow to load (see here). It looks like the API call is being blocked.

I tried using a different browser (Safari), cleared that cache, and then things started working fine within Chrome on the plugins page. I’m not sure how to explain it. I upgraded to PHP version 8.0, and so far I’m not getting that same PHP warning.

Any other ideas what might be causing the API blocking?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

All web hosts have firewalls.  You just don’t have access to it.  Web host firewalls automatically block IP addresses and hosts based on whatever parameters the firewall is configured to check for.  Unfortunately, that means you cannot get BPS Pro upgrade notifications or upgrade BPS Pro from your WordPress Plugins page.  You can still upgrade BPS Pro manually using the steps in this forum topic > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bulletproof-security-pro-bps-pro-upgrade-installation-methods/

The cURL timeout that you are posting has nothing to do with website performance (speed or slowness). It simply just means that the API connection is attempted repeatedly for 5 seconds until it hits the 5 second timeout.

If you are no longer getting the php errors then the php 7.4.33 server version that you were using had problems. You may even be able to update BPS Pro now from your WordPress Plugins page if the PHP 8.0 server version you are now using does not have any problems.

protection
    Participant

I spoke too soon. I am still getting the warnings with PHP version 8, and the plugins page is still slow. I’m going to do a bit more troubleshooting and will let you know what I find.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.