malware not being detected

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free malware not being detected

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nicnack
    Participant

Hi! I am new to this plugin and firstly I just want to be sure I understand how it’s supposed to work. I thought that it would scan my website for malware. Is that correct?  I’m asking because I got an email from GoDaddy this morning saying that my site has malware, so I logged in and first had to update the bulletproof plugin then I had to complete the setup.. but it’s not saying anything about detecting malware.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Nicole

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Currently the BPS free plugin does not have a malware scanner, but we will be adding a malware scanner in BPS 2.1.  BPS Pro has something much better than a typical malware scanner:  AutoRestore|Quarantine Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (ARQ IDPS):  https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/  We will also be adding a malware scanner in BPS Pro 13.1 as a convenience feature.  Example:  Someone would like to know if their website is already hacked before (“before” meaning at first BPS Pro installation) installing BPS Pro.  They would use the malware scanner to confirm that their website/hosting account is already hacked.  They would then cleanup their hosting account of all hacker files/code.  Malware scanners are an “after the fact” security measure and BPS Pro ARQ IDPS is a real-time automated protection system that stops the hack before it is successful by automatically quarantining hacker files that were uploaded/added to a hosting account/website.

There are several plugins with malware scanners in them that claim that they can automatically detect and cleanup a hacked website/hosting account of all hacker files/code.  As far as we know at this point there are not any malware scanners in any other plugins that can actually really do that.  The reason for that is hackers intentionally create hidden hacker files that are intentionally not detectable by any current known malware scanners.  We are going to attempt to create the capability to find hidden hacker files in our malware scanner that are not detectable by any other malware scanners that we know of.

So if Go Daddy’s scanner did actually correctly detect hacker files/code under your hosting account then you can use this forum topic as a guide to cleaning up your hacked website/hosting account:  https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/wordpress-hacked-wordpress-hack-cleanup-wordpress-hack-repair/

Nicnack
    Participant

thanks.. so I guess I’m unclear as to what the purpose and function of BPS is?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE: BPS Pro 13.3+ and BPS free 2.4+ versions have a malware scanner > BPS MScan Malware Scanner
    You can use the BPS MScan Malware Scanner to detect hacker files or code anywhere under your Hosting Account or database.

Website security protection of course. 😉  Let’s say 10,000 various hacking methods/attempts were successfully blocked by BPS using the existing security features in BPS over time period X.  Then on day Y either your FTP password was cracked or stolen or your web host server was hacked at the server or another website on your particular server was hacked and your web host server does not have cross-site infection security protection or someone cracked or stole your WordPress Administrator password or you installed a plugin that has a known security vulnerability in it that allows file uploads, etc etc etc.  The point I am trying to make is that there a numerous ways to hack a website/hosting account.  The BPS free plugin protects against most of those numerous ways that can be used to hack a website/hosting account.  BPS Pro on the otherhand protects against ALL hacking methods and even advanced things that no other WordPress security plugins offer.

This is important to know about website malware scanners because most folks have no idea that website malware scanners are child’s play to fool/beat by even amateur hackers/newbies/kiddie scripters – people believe that website malware scanners will find all hacker files/code.  So that creates a false sense of security for website owners because they believe website malware scanners do have the capability to detect/find all hacker files and code, which is simply not true.  Website malware scanners will typicall only find obvious hacker files/code and will never find hacker files that are intentionally created/designed to fool/beat website malware scanners.

The real problem with malware scanners is the difference in “tech” and knowledge about the differences in “tech”.  Example:  A computer malware scanner is very effective and will probably detect all hacker files/code.  A website malware scanner on the other hand is not really that effective because there is a huge difference in “entry points”.  ie the entry points for hackers to hack a computer are completely different then the entry points to hack a website/website server.  In a nutshell, website malware scanners are not the best method to protect against malware infection.  Ironic, don’t you think.  😉

And to be frankly honest with you the primary reason we will be creating a malware scanner in BPS free and BPS Pro is because most people believe that malware scanners are effective for website security protection.  We hope to successfully create a malware scanner that has the capability to find hidden hacker files, which all other malware scanners cannot do.  BPS Pro ARQ IDPS is the future/next generation of website security protection methods, but since most people believe website malware scanners are actually effective then mostly we are creating a malware scanner for “image” sake, unless of course we can figure out how to detect hidden hacker files and that we would have created something of real significant value instead of just doing the “herd” mentality thing.

Nicnack
    Participant

I have some questions about your service for cleaning up the malware and upgrading to pro. who can I speak with?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I received your email via our contact form.  So I will reply to your email.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.