MSCAN option "Automatically Delete /tmp Files" causes server issues

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro MSCAN option "Automatically Delete /tmp Files" causes server issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Qtwix
    Participant

Hi,

The option “Automatically Delete /tmp Files” in MSCAN causes my hosting account to crash and kills some services on the server, so that the site is not able to connect to the database anymore. As with every crash, I had to contact my host to set my hosting account back, I spent days to figure out, what the issue is. What exactly does this option do and which /tmp directory is affected by this option? The servers /tmp? The /tmp of my hosting account? Or the /tmp within the public_html or any other tmp?

I’d suggest to place a warning apart from the option in MSCAN that server issues must be expected when it’s used and one should check before using it what this directory is used for on the according host, before automatically all data gets deleted in it. In addition, I also recommend to disable this option by default in BPS Pro.

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

One other person has reported this problem.  Do you have SiteGround hosting?  https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/deleting-tmp-folder-contents-on-siteground-hosting-crashes-wordpress/ If this problem is isolated to SiteGround hosting then we will come up with a individual solution for SiteGround hosting.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I looked other forum posts that you created and it looks like you have cyon hosting.  Is that correct?

Qtwix
    Participant

You are right, my host is cyon (https://www.cyon.ch/), running all hosts on litespeed servers.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok since this is happening on 2 different web hosts that we know of so far then yeah the best solution would be to turn off /tmp file deletion by default and display a warning if someone enables the /tmp file deletion option so that folks will be aware of a potential problem.  The /tmp folder is the default folder on a server where things like file uploads are temporarily stored and sessions are also stored.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.