Video Jacker – unable to edit post

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Video Jacker – unable to edit post

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gary M. Gordon
    Participant

Need help. Conflict with plugin called Video Jacker

When I installed this plugin, parts of it run fine. But there’s a specific part that doesn’t and I deactivated all plugins and reactivated BPS Pro (so it was the only plugin running with the Video Jacker plugin) and BPS Pro appears to be conflicting/blocking something from running in Video Jacker (as needed).

Video Jacker is supposed to be able to ‘basically’ create a post from another website’s page (within my WP website).  It copies the page/post from another website (not mine and it can be any site, such as  cnn.com, online.wsj.com, .. any site), allows me to make changes to that page by modifying the text, adding images, adding videos, etc., and then .. it copies the page/post into my site .. and displays the page there .. with all my changes.

For the most part, it seems fine and works okay from the point that I make a copy of the external website with my changes. The problem is occurring when I try to click on the “edit post” icon (inside of Video Jacker) .. that will allow me to “edit” my original changes. Instead of displaying the page “as it looked when I made my original changes” .. when I click on the edit icon, it’s not displaying the page properly (when I have BPS Pro activated).  When BPS Pro is activated and when I click on the edit icon, the page appears .. but it’s like all the CSS (as well as all the images and text, etc. are not showing up).

So, I’m not sure as to what I need to do or change within BPS Pro to allow this specific application to run as it requires.

I’m hoping you can advise me. If you need to “see” the issue as it’s occurring .. I’ll need to provide login access to my WP site.  Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Gary

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro is a very advanced plugin that has built-in troubleshooting – all BPS Pro features can be turned On or Off to isolate exactly which BPS Pro is causing an issue or problem or to eliminate that BPS Pro is causing an issue or problem.  Activating or deactivating the BPS Pro plugin does not do anything besides deactivating/activating BPS Pro (deactivating/activating BPS Pro does deactivate/turn off AutoRestore/Quarantine, but that is not relevant to this issue).

Do the standard BPS Pro troubleshooting steps:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting

The BPS Pro Security Log is a primary troubleshooting tool in BPS Pro.  Check your BPS Pro Security Log for log entries that are directly related to the Video Jacker plugin.

After doing the standard BPS Pro troubleshooting steps to isolate the BPS Pro feature that is blocking something in this plugin or to eliminate that BPS Pro is blocking something in this plugin:  Post which BPS Pro feature is blocking this plugin.  Post a Security Log entry that is directly related to this plugin.

Gary M. Gordon
    Participant

I reviewed the information at http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting.

The only information in the security log is (which I would also love to fix):

[403 GET / HEAD Request: September 1, 2014 - 11:32 am]
    Event Code: BFHS - Blocked/Forbidden Hacker or Spammer
    Solution: N/A - Hacker/Spammer Blocked/Forbidden
    REMOTE_ADDR: 68.36.56.135
    Host Name: c-68-36-56-135.hsd1.nj.comcast.net
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR:
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER: http://www.wpbns.com/
    REQUEST_URI: /helpdesk/visitor/index.php?/LiveChat/VisitorUpdate/UpdateFootprint/_time=1409585569914/_randomNumber=50/_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wpbns.com%2F/_isFirstTime=0/_sessionID=35lt0k43x7csik65y54fsk83ijtzkka0/_referrer=/_resolution=2560x1572/_colorDepth=24/_platform=Win32/_appVersion=5.0%20(Windows)/_appName=Netscape/_browserCode=MO/_browserVersion=5.0%20(Windows)/_browserName=Firefox/_operatingSys=Unkown/_pageTitle=V1BCTlM%3D/_hasNotes=0/_repeatVisit=1/_lastVisitTimeline=0/_lastChatTimeline=0/_isNewSession=1
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

But it’s not related to the  Video Jacker plugin. The plugin is installed at /wp-content/plugins/video_jacker/

When I deactivate the BPS Pro plugin and set the ROOT .htaccess file to it’s basic format, the Video Jacker plugin runs fine.  But when I have BPS Pro create its default .htaccess file in my ROOT .. Video Jacker plugin displays the problem.

So .. all I can tell at this point is that something in the default .htaccess file is blocking something that Video Jacker is trying to run.

Can you help and maybe tell me what I need to do?
    Gary

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok you have isolated the problem to the BPS Pro root .htaccess file by doing this using a manual method instead of using the BPS Pro troubleshooting steps, which is fine if that is the way you prefer to troubleshoot things.

What this means is that you need a Plugin skip/bypass rule for this plugin in your root .htaccess file.

Do these steps:
    1. Copy the code below to this BPS Root Custom Code text box: CUSTOM CODE PLUGIN/THEME SKIP/BYPASS RULES
    2. Click the Save Root Custom Code button.
    3. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.
    Note:  If your WordPress installation is a subfolder installation then add your WordPress folder name in the path.  Example:  /My-WordPress-Folder-Name/wp-content/plugins/video_jacker/

# Video Jacker plugin skip/bypass
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/wp-content/plugins/video_jacker/ [NC]
    RewriteRule . - [S=13]
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I will split the other separate issue/problem into another topic.  I see that it is a 3rd party application call Kayako.

Gary M. Gordon
    Participant

Hi.

I did this, and the code is showing up in my root .htaccess file. But .. the Video Jacker plugin is still not working properly. This is driving me nuts.

Here’s a snap shot of my .htaccess file (near the portion that was changed):

# CUSTOM CODE PLUGIN/THEME SKIP/BYPASS RULES
    # Video Jacker plugin skip/bypass
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/wp-content/plugins/video_jacker/ [NC]
    RewriteRule . - [S=13]

# Adminer MySQL management tool data populate
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/wp-content/plugins/adminer/ [NC]
    RewriteRule . - [S=12]

What do you suggest?
    Gary

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I will download, install the Video Jacker plugin and post the solution shortly.
    The Kayako 3rd party application forum topic has been created here:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/kayako-403-error/

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The Video Jacker plugin works fine with BPS Pro on a XAMPP testing site (behind a Firewall that does not allow incoming or outgoing communication except for allowed domains and IP addresses) – edit works, adding embed code, etc etc etc – no errors or problems, but on a Live site the edit button does not work because the plugin requires that you do this below first.

In order to add, edit and create Video Jacker videos you will need an account through which to manage your videos. Please use the options provided below ….

I assume they have disabled plugin functionality until you create an account with them on the Video Jacker Account Management page.  I used the BPS Pro troubleshooting steps on a Live hosted site and turned off all BPS Pro security features and the Video Jacker edit button still did not work of course because I am not about to create a forced account with them – I believe that is unethical to force you to create an account on their site in order to use their plugin.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

FYI – I believe the Video Jacker plugin will be completely obsolete once WordPress 4.0 is released in a couple of days.  Video embedding is completely automated in WP 4.0.

FYI – the plugin folder name is:  video-jacker and not video_jacker, but this plugin is doing some odd stuff with underscores.  Not sure what that is all about.  I will have Ed look at this issue when he gets back tomorrow.  Maybe I missed something, but it seems pretty clear that this plugin has a forced registration before you can use it.

Gary M. Gordon
    Participant

1. This plugin is not just about embedding videos on a site. 🙂

2. I’m not really sure what you mean when you say “but on a Live site the edit button does not work because the plugin requires that you do this below first. In order to add, edit and create Video Jacker videos you will need an account through which to manage your videos. Please use the options provided below.”

a. What you’re stating here doesn’t appear to be related to my issue.

b. When I deactivate BPS Pro .. I have no problem clicking on the “edit” button for any Video Jacker links that I create. The problem only occurs when I have BPS Pro activated. (And adding in the Skip “custom code” doesn’t seem to resolve the issue.) So .. something is happening when BPS Pro is activated that is causing a problem when I click on the “edit post” link.

Showing the Edit Post icon I’m clicking on.
    screencast.com/t/C7v7r6nN1id

Showing the problem display that I’m seeing after clicking on the Edit Post icon.
    screencast.com/t/xKyTppRdfChm

In BPS Pro, when I click to revert to a default .htaccess (shown here).
    screencast.com/t/oC3pkVrd

Then, Video Jacker works fine (as shown here).
    screencast.com/t/c5V7VdrEb

ALSO .. VERY IMPORTANT .. the plugin you downloaded (I’m presuming) from WordPress.org is not the same plugin that I’m using. This is why I offered to send it to you. It is a PURCHASED plugin.

Gary

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Looks like 2 things are happening:

Problem 1: Your site needs to allow the Video Jacker website to communicate with your website – either directly or via an iframe within this plugin.  The edit post button is not really on your website – it is on the Video Jacker website.  I noticed the free version of this plugin uses a lot of iframes so if the iframe is within the plugin you are actually on the Video Jacker website and not your website.

Solution:  whitelist the Video Jacker website domain in the root .htaccess file.

The DAP plugin is a similar type of plugin that uses iframes for communication so the solution to the communication problem is going to have to do with the TIMTHUMB FORBID RFI and MISC FILE SKIP/BYPASS RULE code for whitelisting the Video Jacker domain/website:   http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/digital-access-pass-dap-fix/#post-6904  Try adding the Video Jacker website domain name.

Problem 2:  is odd since deactivating BPS Pro deactivates the BPS Pro plugin, turns off ARQ and resets F-Lock file permissions and does not do anything else.  Not sure what could cause this unless there is some kind of conflict between the 2 plugins.

Send the premium video jacker plugin zip file to info at ait-pro dot com and Ed will look at it tomorrow when he gets back.  Once he has looked at the Video Jacker plugin code then he will tell you what is happening.

Gary M. Gordon
    Participant

I apologize, but I’m not understanding exactly what you want me to do. I’ll send Ed the plugin by email.
    By the way .. I don’t see any iFrames on this page (from what I can tell).
    Thanks.
    Gary

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ed will respond on Tuesday when he returns from vacation and has had a chance to look at this plugin. Where is the page?  Is the page on your website or is the page on the Video Jacker website?

Gary M. Gordon
    Participant

I didn’t see any iframes on the page, in my WP dashboard, within the Video Jacker application, where the edit post icon appears. You said “The edit post button is not really on your website – it is on the Video Jacker website.” And .. this does not appear to be the case.

I just wanted to let you know.
    Gary

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok no problem.  Ed will contact you on Tuesday.  Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.