No longer receiving email alerts

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro No longer receiving email alerts

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Hmm I did a Google search for this part of the error message:  “wp_mail has been declared by another process or plugin” and found several search results for many different plugins that do something with the wp_mail() function.  BPS Pro just calls wp_mail() without using any WP Filters so BPS Pro’s usage of the wp_mail() function would not be causing the problem.  Any plugins or themes that are using Filters for the wp_mail() function could be causing the problem.

The basic troubleshooting steps are to deactivate all plugins and then activate them one by one to find the plugin that is causing the problem.  If you do not find that a plugin is causing the problem then test your theme by temporarily switching to one of the WordPress themes:  2018, 2017, etc.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I came across this SendGrid forum support topic:  https://wordpress.org/support/topic/sendgrid-wp_mail-has-been-declared-by-another-process-or-plugin-2/ SendGrid is clearly stating that they override and take control of the wp_mail() function and they claim there is nothing that can be done to workaround the known issue or a fix for that issue permanently. I have to disagree with what they are saying. Logically the wp_mail() Filter could be wrapped in some sort of conditional statement so that emails could be controlled.  Or I could probably add a remove_filter('wp_mail', 'bpsPro_remove_wp_mail_filter', 10, 1 ); condition to BPS Pro to remove any wp_mail() filters. That may not work since wp_mail is a pluggable function.

What is very strange to me is that WP Filters are designed to be shared by all plugins installed on a site without impacting other plugins.  An exception to that rule is WP Login filters and actions – Only 1 plugin or theme can call a Login filter or action at a time.

mason
    Participant

Okay well I’m almost certain it’s a plugin or theme conflict now. I manually updated WordPress and deactivated all plugins except BPS pro during that process.

During the update I received BPS emails (an ARQ notice and a PHP error notice) just fine. I reactivated all plugins again and now no emails.

So the next step I guess is to troubleshoot the plugins one by one.

mason
    Participant

Well, after testing plugins it looks like it was the SendGrid plugin that was the culprit afterall. When using the Post SMTP Mailer plugin instead (set up to use the SendGrid API), BPS sends out alert emails normally.

So for now I’ll stick with the Post SMTP plugin since it does what I need and doesn’t conflict with BPS Pro.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Sounds good.  I honestly do not believe the SendGrid plugin should be causing this problem.  So in my opinion they are doing something incorrectly.  😉

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.